The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You beat me to it Accy. I was just reading that Spurs among others have laid off virtually all staff to apply for the 80% while the manager and players remain on full pay.
Eddy Howe and others have already taken big pay cuts.
There's a lot of 'make prem' footballers cough up' stuff going round at the moment. Those defending them say why should they when other wealthy people and government ministers etc aren't taking a pay cut. It's not about their high wages though. What's pissing folk off is that these very wealthy clubs,owned by very wealthy people seem to have split themselves into two separate businesses. One half is the football side,the other is the 'non playing'; side. These wealthy clubs are continuing to pay millions of pounds out in wages every week,while trying to get the government/taxpayer to stump up the 'tea lady's wages. They've spotted a way of not exactly making more money from a bad situation,more like saving money from a bad situation. I read in one article that Liverpool have from the start of the crisis been paying their non football staff in full and aren't intending getting the government/taxpayer to stump up their wages. As for Ferguson,what a creep he is! I wouldn't have thought he'd be taking a wage at all,seeing how much he made as their manager! I bet yon other creep Charlton coins it in as well!

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This doesn't make sense.

Players at Championship leaders Leeds United have already volunteered to take a wage deferral, while Birmingham City players who earn more than £6,000 a week have been asked to take a 50% cut for the next four months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52142267

So if you're a player on £6000 a week you'll now be getting £3000,but if before you were on £5999,you still be getting £5999!:rolleyes:

ozboz

Guru
UEFA can say what the want , any decisions will ultimately come from Downing St , The Football may be off until 2021-22 season , and if so , so be it, I have seen reports on the telly that due to Madrid travelling to play in Italy for a European game was highly contributable to the rise in Covid 19 in Spain . I’m putting people not suffering a horrible death before any trophies as uppermost , it is very tue that some clubs will have financial problems , but they are not the only business’s that will suffer. Call it pessimism but this is going to hang around for some time :sad:

Last edited:
There's a lot of 'make prem' footballers cough up' stuff going round at the moment. Those defending them say why should they when other wealthy people and government ministers etc aren't taking a pay cut. It's not about their high wages though. What's pissing folk off is that these very wealthy clubs,owned by very wealthy people seem to have split themselves into two separate businesses. One half is the football side,the other is the 'non playing'; side. These wealthy clubs are continuing to pay millions of pounds out in wages every week,while trying to get the government/taxpayer to stump up the 'tea lady's wages. They've spotted a way of not exactly making more money from a bad situation,more like saving money from a bad situation. I read in one article that Liverpool have from the start of the crisis been paying their non football staff in full and aren't intending getting the government/taxpayer to stump up their wages. As for Ferguson,what a creep he is! I wouldn't have thought he'd be taking a wage at all,seeing how much he made as their manager! I bet yon other creep Charlton coins it in as well!
You've summed up what a crazy tricky situation it is. (and well-played Liverpool.)

I can't believe matt Hancock's comments. Who the feck is he to make demands of PL players?!? That is pathetic populism, and hugely ironic from a senior Tory:cursing:

(Who knew that Gary Neville might start to look like a popular hero in this crisis?? We live in strange times … )

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I can't believe matt Hancock's comments. Who the feck is he to make demands of PL players?!? That is pathetic populism, and hugely ironic from a senior Tory:cursing:
I do think he's 'demanding' they take a cut,not because they are very well paid,but as i said before,because their employers seem to be taking the piss. Maybe the health secretary should make himself clearer and say he wants the clubs if that club is going to use the government/taxpayer 80% 'hand out' to cut their players wages. If that club doesn't intend to use the 'bail out' then they can pay their players as much as they want.

Hancock:
“Given the sacrifices people are making, including some of my colleagues in the NHS, who have made the ultimate sacrifice and gone into work and caught the disease and have sadly died, I think the first thing Premier League footballers can do is make a contribution; take a pay cut and play their part.”
I love that phrase "my colleagues" hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Mike_P

Guru
Although a lower than lower league club these days Notts County have got their players telephoning elderly fans each day. Suppose that would clearly be beyond Premiership darlings.

Mike_P

Guru
FC Utrecht's players are doing that. too. The club also organised a drive-through for fans to drop off food for the homeless.

I've seen Notts County twice, home and away against Aston Villa in the same season. 0-0 both times. :dry:
Two 0-0s, that must be a record given the all too often state of Notts defence😄

PaulB

Legendary Member
An April 30th restart was never really on was it? I'm quite an optimist but that was beyond me.
I think it most definitely SHOULD start then. Preferably on Subbuteto but if needs be, we'd accept a single player in a hermetically-sealed studio in Singapore Vs a similarly ensconced player in studio in Minsk play each other via FIFA 2020 and broadcast live around the world.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ah! just had a thought. The 2020/21 league fixtures wouldn't be able to be sorted till we knew who'd gone up or down! :blush: I feel a bit of a self-gratification artist now (hence the late editing of the previous post):unsure:,but hey,i'm only trying to help!!:okay:
I suggested exactly the same idea Accy. I think it works from a logistics perspective.

Currently the league's start about mid August. If there was any possibility of starting earlier then they should. Play the last 10 or so games over a three week period. No play offs. Then the following week (that would be maybe September Week 2) you start the new season. You've lost 3 weeks of an eight and a half month season. Make both cups optional

Of course this falls apart if conditions in August still prevent football being played

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I would be in favour of cancelling the League Cup (or whatever they are calling it now) altogether but keeping the FA Cup because that provides much needed revenue and maybe some glamour for the minnows of football.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
1586116927119.png

Top Bottom