The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
The first game my dad ever took me on the Kop was against Chelsea on a freezing cold Boxing Day and for half of it, we were right behind him. Our fans liked a goalie and he was very highly respected and even some of his more acrobatic saves were met with honest applause from our masses.
He wasn't known as 'the cat' for nothing! An excellent goalie who got some very unfair (in my opinion) stick for letting in that goal at the world cup (and this is coming from an Arsenal supporter). R.I.P. Cat

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That's a shame, he was a spectacular keeper. My abiding memory of him was against West Ham at Stamford Bridge (I think the game was a 5-5 draw) where someone tried to lob him and he did a back flip and caught the ball.

He was thrown in at the deep end against West Germany in 1970 and had to carry the can for the defeat.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Reports of Harry Kane fetching £200million.

Sell him for that, I say, we have a new ground to pay for.

Top striker for us, but also injury prone.

MarkF

Guru
When I was very young, my Dad came home all excited and dragged me out telling me he had a surprise, so we hurtled off the few minutes to our local football club, Thackley. There were some players just coming out of the changing rooms and onto the pitch, they didn't look anything like the football players I was used to seeing, flippin eck, my jaw dropped as my dad pointed out Johan Cruyff, then Johan Neeskens.:wacko: Piles of people were turning up, all disbelieving until they saw them, Barcelona's first team! After training they spent ages in the club bar with the local kids. Wouldn't happen today.:okay:

?type=responsive-gallery.jpg

PaulB

Legendary Member
31 years ago today.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sad to here of Norman 'Bites Your Legs' Hunter dying from Coronavirus.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52246007
A true 1960's/70's Leeds Utd/football legend.:notworthy:
'The defender, who joined Leeds aged 15, went on to play 726 matches in all competitions for the club, the fourth-highest individual total in their history'.
Not like many of today's 'legends' who are bestowed the title for playing about 50 matches for a club.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
I'm beginning to think we won't see any more football this year , never mind this season.
I know there's talk of closed doors games , but I think that presents a lot of problems and it isn't really an attractive proposition for me.
Football is all about being there , not shouting at a telly.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'm beginning to think we won't see any more football this year , never mind this season.

I agree. I think football has this utterly wrong at the moment; basically still firmly in denial as to the scale of the problem.

The most sensible way forward right now is to void this season, and put next season on hold.

If things go really well, it might be possible to start next season soon enough to complete it.

A more likely, but perhaps still optimistic outlook is to start next season Jan 1st 2021, and run with just one fixture between teams rather than home and away.

Perhaps the most realistic outcome is to can this season *and* next.

A business which requires 50 000 people, often from across the country or continent, in close proximity and likely travelling and drinking together for hours beforehand has no short term future, I fear.

Top Bottom