The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Professional football in Holland officially banned until at least 1 September.:sad: Dutch FA to meet the clubs on Friday to decide what to do with the leagues, places, European tickets, etc. The cup final should have been played last Sunday. Utrecht were odds on certs to beat Feyenoord. :sad::sad::sad:

AndyRM

XOXO
And that vocal minority are often hugely hypocritical. My mother watches about 20 hours of soaps per week, my daughter about 15 hours of Netflix kid's shows, both of them moan that I'm *always* watching football!

I watch one live game about every 2 to 3 weeks.

The idea that there's 'blanket coverage' is laughable. There are barely any matches free to air these days.

It's very, very easy to avoid coverage of football (well, anything really) if you want to.

Or, you know, go on a cycling forum and moan about the game.

AndyRM

XOXO
4 weeks of coverage every four years isn't exactly a hardship.

Unfortunately for those who aren't fans of the game it is the most popular sport in the world, even with the current restrictions that's unlikely to change any time soon. But like I said, it's easily avoided so I really don't understand why some folk get so exercised about it.

4 weeks of coverage every four years isn't exactly a hardship.
Well I enjoy the World Cups, so I agree :P

But to be fair to the moaners, apart from the Olympics, there is nothing that takes over the schedules quite like it. And with the Olympics most people say they enjoy SOME of the sports, or just like cheering The Plucky Brit <insert other nationality as preferred>.

I can sort-of imagine that some folks are in footy-mad families too, so every mealtime during the season might be dominated by footy "bantz".

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Well I enjoy the World Cups, so I agree :P

But to be fair to the moaners, apart from the Olympics, there is nothing that takes over the schedules quite like it.
Like six hours of live cycling coverage on ITV for a full three weeks every year, you mean?

One of the benefits of having so many channels now is if you hate sport, soaps, cookery, drama or whatever else you don't like there is still loads to watch elsewhere. And those who do like sport have got decent live coverage, unlike in the past when we only had three channels.

Mike_P

Guru
National League has cancelled the remaining fixtures but seems to be unclear re play offs.
Still think the whole think is a complete farce thinking games will be played this year, bit like TdF actually taking place and they should just make it a 2019-21 season.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Rhyl F C enter liquidation.

Think many more will follow.
I think you're right. And I think the EPL's hope of getting the remaining league games played by 30th of June is exceptionally optimistic, a major re-think of what to do about the current season will probably be needed. They will either have to restart as and when and cobble together what they can for next season, or just call this one null and void and forget it.

MarkF

Guru
I think you're right. And I think the EPL's hope of getting the remaining league games played by 30th of June is exceptionally optimistic, a major re-think of what to do about the current season will probably be needed. They will either have to restart as and when and cobble together what they can for next season, or just call this one null and void and forget it.

I was hopeful a while ago, but now with players contracts up I can't see how it'll happen and it definitely won't for L1 & L2.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The government chief medical advisor Chris Whitty has said that some form of social distancing will probably have to stay in place for the rest of the year. That being the case, any football that does take place will be in empty stadiums, leaving most clubs in dire financial straights.

MarkF

Guru

I think the fans are probably already planning Rhyl 2020, problem being where to play, the rent and money that needs spending on current ground is one of the contributory factors of the demise.

That's a shame but if they have an unyielding landlord then it might end up being for the best.

ozboz

Guru

I think the fans are probably already planning Rhyl 2020, problem being where to play, the rent and money that needs spending on current ground is one of the contributory factors of the demise.

just as a matter of interest is Rhyll FC managed by a committee or have private owner /s ?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Bundesliga is looking to restart on 9th may behind closed doors - no reason with the right infrastructure in place that the premier league can't do the same end of may, beginning of june and put all games live on TV

AndyRM

XOXO
Bundesliga is looking to restart on 9th may behind closed doors - no reason with the right infrastructure in place that the premier league can't do the same end of may, beginning of june and put all games live on TV

You've highlighted the key problem with the word 'infrastructure', because the UK just doesn't have it currently and I'm skeptical that what is required could be put in place in 5 weeks.

Top Bottom