The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm normally attuned to you Andy but...
What does that mean, to take a knee? Colin Kaepernick did it during a national anthem famously of course, and I fully get his reasoning there, but what does it mean when every player does it at a UK football match with no blind nationalism (I.e an anthem and flag) to rail against?

I do fear "taking a knee" has this week become the new "NHS clap". Show "something" so that at least

Fair question.

The way I see it, it's become a symbol which has gone way beyond where it started. I reckon that most sports fans will know its significance and if they don't will learn fairly quickly. As I said on the other page, EPL players doing it raises the awareness of what it represents on a far more global scale than the NFL, which I see as being a good thing.

I disagree that there's no blind nationalism in this country, but that's perhaps too political for a football thread. And I don't think "taking a knee" is anything like the "NHS clap" which was fairly quickly hijacked by our government.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I disagree that there's no blind nationalism in this country.

Thanks Andy.
To clarify, I didn't mean blind nationalism in the wider country (we have our own brand of mawkish, of course), I meant the anthem / flag worship that goes on at US Sports games. That was the perfect moment for Kapaernick to make a noble point. We don't have that chest clutching flag worship at league games so the start of a game of association football just struck me as an odd moment to make this kind of point.
As you say, too political for a football thread so I'll just say thank for answering fully, I appreciate it.

AndyRM

XOXO
Thanks Andy.
To clarify, I didn't mean blind nationalism in the wider country (we have our own brand of mawkish, of course), I meant the anthem / flag worship that goes on at US Sports games. That was the perfect moment for Kapaernick to make a noble point. We don't have that chest clutching flag worship at league games so the start of a game of association football just struck me as an odd moment to make this kind of point.
As you say, too political for a football thread so I'll just say thank for answering fully, I appreciate it.

No problem!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yet more VAR controversy.
The hawkeye goal mouth blunder was pretty poor for Sheffield Utd.
And the Villa goalkeeper is a massive cheat, as he knew it was a goal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53086360
The goalkeeper was not a cheat, he played to the whistle and didn't challenge the referee's decision - something players are constantly criticised for doing. You can't have it both ways, if you have to accept the dodgy decisions which go against you you are entitled to take the ones that go in your favour.

The goalkeeper was not a cheat, he played to the whistle and didn't challenge the referee's decision - something players are constantly criticised for doing. You can't have it both ways, if you have to accept the dodgy decisions which go against you you are entitled to take the ones that go in your favour.
If he knew the ball had crossed the line he was a cheat.

If he didn’t see it cross the line, then he’s correct to accept the referee‘s decision.

I’m sure he’d have been all over the referee had the decision gone against his team - just like always in the modern game. Sorry. Did I say game? I meant business.

Unfortunately, it’s a sad fact that cheating is rife in the modern game. Both sets of players play-acting in order to get an opponent sent off and gain an unfair advantage.

It isn’t limited to football, in cricket we have batsmen who don’t walk when they know they’ve edged the ball, and fielders who claim a invalid catch or an lbw just to put pressure on the umpires and batsmen.

The last piece of sportsmanship I remember in the Premiership was Paulo Di Caneo admitting to the referee that he hadn’t been touched after being awarded a penalty. That was a long time ago, but it’s moments like that which stick in my mind rather than the cheating antics of modern ‘Sportsmen’.

So, it seems like we‘ll have to put up with cheating in modern sport - but surely we don’t have to try and justify or condone it?

MarkF

Guru
If he knew the ball had crossed the line he was a cheat.

If he didn’t see it cross the line, then he’s correct to accept the referee‘s decision.

I’m sure he’d have been all over the referee had the decision gone against his team - just like always in the modern game. Sorry. Did I say game? I meant business.

Unfortunately, it’s a sad fact that cheating is rife in the modern game. Both sets of players play-acting in order to get an opponent sent off and gain an unfair advantage.

It isn’t limited to football, in cricket we have batsmen who don’t walk when they know they’ve edged the ball, and fielders who claim a invalid catch or an lbw just to put pressure on the umpires and batsmen.

The last piece of sportsmanship I remember in the Premiership was Paulo Di Caneo admitting to the referee that he hadn’t been touched after being awarded a penalty. That was a long time ago, but it’s moments like that which stick in my mind rather than the cheating antics of modern ‘Sportsmen’.

So, it seems like we‘ll have to put up with cheating in modern sport - but surely we don’t have to try and justify or condone it?

A regular foul is cheating.:rolleyes: Is the Mr Di Canio you quote, the same facsist paragon of virtue who pushed a referee to the ground because he didn't like a decision? I condone the cheating and enjoy it, it all adds to the spectacle for me, spitting, rolling around in faux agony, bring it on, controversy is what I like. The last thing I want to watch is 22 earnest and honest footballers worrying about VAR.

I watched Norwich v Southampton tonight, it was like a training session. Or was it? I'd like to see stats to see whether it is the footballer or the viewer who is affected by the lack of a crowd. Was bleedin boring anyway.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Watched the Baggies v Blues game today. Lasted 20 minutes before having to hit the mute button. A continuous audio loop of 13 seconds of canned West Brom crowd noise drove me close to madness and left me pining for vuvuzelas. This will finally kill football if they keep it up.

Slick

Guru
Watched the Baggies v Blues game today. Lasted 20 minutes before having to hit the mute button. A continuous audio loop of 13 seconds of canned West Brom crowd noise drove me close to madness and left me pining for vuvuzelas. This will finally kill football if they keep it up.
I agree. Sat down to watch tonight's game and switched it off almost immediately.

Top Bottom