The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
... the hot sausage man will give me a free hot sausage...
Is this a euphemism? ^_^

PaulB

Legendary Member
My favourite La Liga gane, El Gran Derbi, Seville v Real Betis Balompie. 0-0 and no fans , what a pile of cack, I can't watch any more of it and will give the remaining PL games a miss.
Yeah, I'm not going either! I just watched Liverpool beat Blackburn Rovers 6-0 at Anfield in a warm-up game and it was weird. Jurgen was sat entirely on his own on a little plastic chair with red/white tape on the floor marking his space that he couldn't leave and no one else could enter. He also had to wear a black face mask. The stands were cavernously empty and you even get some noise at reserve or youth games but nothing there. I don't think I like it since it's played without the very thing that makes it soul elevating - crowd participation.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I was just on the phone to a customer rep at sky the other day, dealing with a few issues but one of them was cancelling Sky Sports.

He rushed to point out that the football is back, but I said that watching a game under the new conditions could never be even remotely appealing as a TV spectacle and he couldn't argue. I think it'll be a long time until I watch a game again, and I imagine it'll be the same for many.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Warnock will go anywhere, he said he'd go to L2 or wherever, to get the few games (12?) he needs to have managed a 1000 games. I like him and he's got funnier as he's got older, if any club needs a "push" to avoid relegation or get into the play offs, he's your man.

Linked with Ipswich now that their wheels have come off.

If that's Neil Warnock you're referring to then I agree. He's a good manager. Speaks well too.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If that's Neil Warnock you're referring to then I agree. He's a good manager. Speaks well too.
Always liked him, the more so when he was doing a fine job at QPR with bugger all resources. Just found...

1591965659795.png

So, how's that going, 'board'?

Mike_P

Guru
Warnock once celebrated a sacking by opening a bottle of champagne. Was the 92/93 season (first season of the Premiership) and the previous season Warnock had signed Paul Rideout from Southampton for Notts County as he sought to establish the club in the old First Division. The chairman was oblivious initially to the agreed wages but when he found out Rideout was sold after just 11 appearances and 3 goals to Glasgow Rangers. Notts were relegated (40 pts) along with West Ham (38 pts) and Luton (42 pts) who were beaten on the last day of the season and leading to that pub quiz favourite of name the two clubs that were founders of the Premiership but have never played in it.

Slick

Guru
Warnock once celebrated a sacking by opening a bottle of champagne. Was the 92/93 season (first season of the Premiership) and the previous season Warnock had signed Paul Rideout from Southampton for Notts County as he sought to establish the club in the old First Division. The chairman was oblivious initially to the agreed wages but when he found out Rideout was sold after just 11 appearances and 3 goals to Glasgow Rangers. Notts were relegated (40 pts) along with West Ham (38 pts) and Luton (42 pts) who were beaten on the last day of the season and leading to that pub quiz favourite of name the two clubs that were founders of the Premiership but have never played in it.
Interesting stat, wouldn't have known that.

As an aside, Paul Rideout was a cracking buy for Rangers.

Mike_P

Guru
A stat that is annoying from that period is the one that lists Notts amongst clubs who have got into top flight through the playoffs only to be relegated at the first opportunity. Whilst correct it overlooks the fact Notts finished the 90/91 season 7 points ahead of their nearest playoff rivals so more correctly Notts were promoted despite the playoffs.

Three little known facts about Swindon Town...

1. Paul Rideout (mentioned above) honed his skills at Swindon Town aged 16.

2. Swindon knocked Notts County out of the Football League. At the time Notts County were the world’s oldest football league club.

3. And finally, the most important fact... Swindon Town are the only Football League club in the England or Scotland with no letters from the word Mackerel in their name. :biggrin:

Top Bottom