The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm surprised you don't remember 66, they haven't stopped going on about it since!
But they did, and for quite a long time. '66 was fading into the background till football began to take off again with the 1990 World cup and it was only then that the winners started to make any money out of it. None of them received gongs of any sort till then, with the exception of manager Alf Ramsey.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Evra's dogs...

Slick

Guru
No, all at Wembley and the semi final between England and Portugal was switched from Goodison Park to Wembley. A group game in England's group was played at White City Stadium but it was not a game that involved England.

Thus it was and still is the only time a venue has been changed as all venues are predetermined prior to a tournament regardless of who is playing.
Nobody in Aberdeen would have spoken to him again if he was right anyway. :laugh:

slow scot

Veteran
No, all at Wembley and the semi final between England and Portugal was switched from Goodison Park to Wembley. A group game in England's group was played at White City Stadium but it was not a game that involved England.

Thus it was and still is the only time a venue has been changed as all venues are predetermined prior to a tournament regardless of who is playing.
You're quite right! I knew one game was played at the White City, and I just presumed it was England v. France, but I was wrong. Thanks for that.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yeah and look at how that turned out. Stadium safety is unrecognisable now, although I'm told there is still work to do.
The World cup matches ran perfectly well without incident, though I get your point.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I wonder which game Liverpool will clinch the title with......could city lose at home to arsenal and give us the chance of winning it at Goodison or will it be palace at home and then we get a guard of honour at the emptihad.....:whistle::whistle:

Top Bottom