The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
So just now I received notification that my football club are going to re-imburse me for the remainder of the games I hold season tickets (I have two) for. Nice to know we're not Newcastle! Nobody's heard yet what they'll do for our seasies for 2020/21 but obviously they can't charge us (we're not Newcastle) for a season when they can't know when the ground will be open to supporters. Apparently, at least half of the Main Stand is corporate and they won't fill that for a very long time. They haven't tried that 'can we keep your money? We'll give you access to our televised games' nonsense and they're going about this professionally. Which is nice.

gavgav

Guru
So just now I received notification that my football club are going to re-imburse me for the remainder of the games I hold season tickets (I have two) for. Nice to know we're not Newcastle! Nobody's heard yet what they'll do for our seasies for 2020/21 but obviously they can't charge us (we're not Newcastle) for a season when they can't know when the ground will be open to supporters. Apparently, at least half of the Main Stand is corporate and they won't fill that for a very long time. They haven't tried that 'can we keep your money? We'll give you access to our televised games' nonsense and they're going about this professionally. Which is nice.
Which club? Just interested as a lot of lower league clubs are yet to decide on refunds and plans for next season’s tickets, including my club, Shrewsbury. We have 5 games owing to us, for last season, but if it helps keep the club afloat, then I’m prepared to overlook a refund.......But I’m certainly not prepared to fork out £375 for next season, when I may not be allowed in a stadium at all!

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Aston Villa FC are giving a refund for outstanding home games to season ticket holders. They will give it as an e voucher or money back into your account if you specifically request it.

I will be very surprised if there will be fans allowed back into the stadium next season unless a vaccine is available very soon and I think that is highly unlikely.

With 9 league games and a cup final still to play, Utrecht offered a 15% discount on next season's season ticket or a commemorative T-shirt of the cup final that never took place. I declined both offers. I have also already ordered and paid for next season's season ticket. For many years I did some voluntary work for the club and the remuneration was enough to buy season tickets for myself and my son and a couple of halftime beers. Junior went on to film the youth teams and friendly games for the video analysts and received a similar remuneration package. So I do feel that I owe the club a bit. The beer (Amstel festival beer, about 0.1% abv, give or take) was absolute shite by the way.

Last edited:
With 9 league games and a cup final still to play, Utrecht offered a 15% discount on next season's season ticket or a commemorative T-shirt of the cup final that never took place. I declined both offers. I have also already ordered and paid for next season's season ticket. For many years I did some voluntary work for the club and the remuneration was enough to buy season tickets for myself and my son and a couple of halftime beers. Junior went on to film the youth teams and friendly games for the video analysts and received a similar remuneration package. So I do feel that I owe the club a bit. The beer (Amstel festival beer, about 0.1% abv, give or take) was absolute shite by the way.

Result!
Just received this in an email from the club:

Als dank voor het bestellen van je Seizoenkaart bied ik je een gratis warme worst aan bij de eerste thuiswedstrijd volledig met publiek.
To thank me for ordering a season ticket the hot sausage man will give me a free hot sausage at the first home game with spectators.

Who says loyalty doesn't pay!

What a strange do the Eoin Doyle saga was, from the day he arrived at Valley Parade your ginger Pele was nothing but a lumpen clog footed oaf.
Yes. I think the Brazil/Cruyff-esq ‘wonder football’ enjoyed at the County Ground last season suited his style, whereas a sore neck badly affected his performances for Bradford. Apparently caused by watching the ball constantly flying-by overhead. :whistle::biggrin:

PaulB

Legendary Member
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ue-clubs-loss-600m-finances-epl-a9556891.html

I think this news makes it inevitable that some clubs will go to the wall. They simply will not be able to afford to continue under crippling debts which will be made much, much worse by the march of this clampdown nonsense. It looks as though we'll be facing a radically different football structure if all this ever ends. There's talk of a regional Div 3 to completely replace Div 4 as in the post-war years. But that may well change completely and we'll have regional divisions all over the country.

MarkF

Guru
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ue-clubs-loss-600m-finances-epl-a9556891.html

I think this news makes it inevitable that some clubs will go to the wall. They simply will not be able to afford to continue under crippling debts which will be made much, much worse by the march of this clampdown nonsense. It looks as though we'll be facing a radically different football structure if all this ever ends. There's talk of a regional Div 3 to completely replace Div 4 as in the post-war years. But that may well change completely and we'll have regional divisions all over the country.

With respect, I've heard and read similar all my life and we've lost very few football clubs and even those have been resurrected, Aldershot, Maidstone, Halifax, Accrington, Darlington, Chester & you can be sure Bury will be back next season.

I hardly watch the PL, the natural order has been cash skewed and there are far too many games televised games that I wouldn't watch if you paid me, I'll make a point of not missing Liverpool v Man U but Watford v Burnley, really? Personally, I believe they should go their own way and leave the Championship as PL2. I am sure I read that the crowds in L1, L2 & the National league were up? The way to go, is back in time, regionalise it and with play offs ending in north/south finals in a proper ground not a quarter full concrete bowl. Add on a salary cap and 3/4 promotion places from the National Leagues and there is great opportunity for the promotion of "real" and affordable to all football.

Last edited:

PaulB

Legendary Member
With respect, I've heard and read similar all my life and we've lost very few football clubs and even those have been resurrected, Aldershot, Maidstone, Halifax, Accrington, Darlington, Chester & you can be sure Bury will be back next season.

I hardly watch the PL, the natural order has been cash skewed and there are far too many games televised games that I wouldn't watch if you paid me, I'll make a point of not missing Liverpool v Man U but Watford v Burnley, really? Personally, I believe they should go their own way and leave the Championship as PL2. I am sure I read that the crowds in L1, L2 & the National league were up? The way to go, is back in time, regionalise it and with play offs ending in north/south finals in a proper ground not a quarter full concrete bowl. Add on a salary cap and 3/4 promotion places from the National Leagues and there is great opportunity for the promotion of "real" and affordable to all football.
But these times are unprecedented I believe. OK, we had this on a bigger scale in 1918/19 but the world wasn't as reliant on financial growth as it is now and those clubs could only count on fans paying through the gate for running costs. Clubs are now in debt against future earnings but those earnings may not come and they will almost certainly be considerably lower than they previously expected. No, this is bigger than any of us have experienced in our lives. Some unexpected clubs may have to do a Rangers and appear under different guises. Personally, I'd love to see it at my club because there's nothing worse than the glory hunters who help spoil what they've gone to experience.

MarkF

Guru
But these times are unprecedented I believe. OK, we had this on a bigger scale in 1918/19 but the world wasn't as reliant on financial growth as it is now and those clubs could only count on fans paying through the gate for running costs. Clubs are now in debt against future earnings but those earnings may not come and they will almost certainly be considerably lower than they previously expected. No, this is bigger than any of us have experienced in our lives. Some unexpected clubs may have to do a Rangers and appear under different guises. Personally, I'd love to see it at my club because there's nothing worse than the glory hunters who help spoil what they've gone to experience.

The clubs won't just "go" though because the fans are the club. I've seen it locally at clubs I watch, Halifax and Farsley to name two who are in a better position than when they went bust. The lower leagues need to modernise and re-structure, it's silly Bradford playing Plymouth and putting a few £k in their coffers when we could be playing Halifax or York and giving them £80k + the same again to the towns boozers! I'd definitely like to see a split and the Football League go it alone, the opportunity is also there to admit in PL "B " teams for a hefty fee, benefiting everybody.

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
My favourite La Liga gane, El Gran Derbi, Seville v Real Betis Balompie. 0-0 and no fans , what a pile of cack, I can't watch any more of it and will give the remaining PL games a miss.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
My favourite La Liga gane, El Gran Derbi, Seville v Real Betis Balompie. 0-0 and no fans , what a pile of cack, I can't watch any more of it and will give the remaining PL games a miss.
Sevilla 2-0 up. Seems to have got a bit more interesting.

Top Bottom