The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
Sounds about right. @pjd57 will obviously confirm as I'm only going from 50 odd years of listening to mates tell me about it. :eek::laugh:

Chippy Dave

The mid table teams with nothing to play for will have almost zero motivation. We could see some Teams in the relegation zone go on amazing runs As they are motivated to win. It could be a very odd but interesting season finale.

I hope that’s the case for West Ham, I’ve supported them all my life but I think the club is a right mess at the moment.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Today is the 50th anniversary of the start of the 1970 World Cup finals in Mexico. The hosts and the USSR played out a 'boring' 0-0 draw,in the opening match. Do any of you remember the tournament? It was the first one i remember. It was the first one shown on colour tv(even though it was still black and white tv for us,as we didn't get a colour set till 1974 for the finals in West Germany),the first one to use white(ok some black panels)balls and the first one to have the final on a Sunday.:okay:
1590924940505.png

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I well remember the crushing disappointment of England blowing a two goal lead against West Germany in the quarter finals. World Cup 70 was the first one that really captured the public imagination in this country with the tournament being front page news. For all the folklore now about "The boys of '66" that tournament was surprisingly low key as a media event, even on the Saturday of the final few if any of the papers featured the match on their front pages and by Monday England's win was barely getting a mention in the press. The significance of that win has increased with time.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Today is the 50th anniversary of the start of the 1970 World Cup finals in Mexico. The hosts and the USSR played out a 'boring' 0-0 draw,in the opening match. Do any of you remember the tournament? It was the first one i remember. It was the first one shown on colour tv(even though it was still black and white tv for us,as we didn't get a colour set till 1974 for the finals in West Germany),the first one to use white(ok some black panels)balls and the first one to have the final on a Sunday.:okay:
View attachment 526463

My memories of this are those of a not quite 14 year old boy - and they are wonderful memories too of the stunning Brazilian team. Their play in the final was stunning, the team was a class act all the way from front to back and the attacking 'four' were a nightmare for Italy to deal with. One of the few teams from days of yesteryear that I think that might have been able to hack it in the modern game.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Goals & extended highlights:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKsMnEemzMM

Slick

Guru
View attachment 526463
Just a bit before my time Accy, but I did have the good fortune to watch Scotland v Brasil just four years later and we cuffed them 0-0. :okay:

It was a great game that we really should have won and was obviously the start of glorious failure for us.:sad:

Top Bottom