The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Euro distraction/mourning from the BBC this morning, allowing fans to pick their all Euros XI, not an easy task.

Here's mine:

I can't remember who the commentators were, but the first time Pirlo destroyed England was hilarious as they assumed he was ancient and incapable. Sure, he never really moved beyond the centre circle, but he didn't have to.

PaulB

Legendary Member
3. And finally, the most important fact... Swindon Town are the only Football League club in the England or Scotland with no letters from the word Mackerel in their name. :biggrin:

That is totawy wong - Jonathan Ross.

AndyRM

XOXO
Good to see football supporting BLM as the EPL gets back underway tonight.

Everyone taking a knee at the whistle and 'Black Lives Matter' across both sides' tops.

It's easy to criticise the game, I know I do, but using arguably the biggest global sporting platform to make that statement is pretty massive.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yet more VAR controversy.
The hawkeye goal mouth blunder was pretty poor for Sheffield Utd.
And the Villa goalkeeper is a massive cheat, as he knew it was a goal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53086360

Pat Nevin said something along the lines of "it must be so frustrating to be a referee and be told to rely on the technology only to have it fail".

I don't know what the official rule/guidance is, but surely if the referee thinks it's a goal then he gives it? And then checks if required or something? Although I suppose that doesn't work if the system hasn't worked.

Daft system anyway. I was vaguely supportive when it was first introduced, but now I reckon it's a failed experiment and should be binned.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Everyone taking a knee at the whistle and 'Black Lives Matter' across both sides' tops.
Is it compulsory?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Everyone taking a knee at the whistle

I'm normally attuned to you Andy but...
What does that mean, to take a knee? Colin Kaepernick did it during a national anthem famously of course, and I fully get his reasoning there, but what does it mean when every player does it at a UK football match with no blind nationalism (I.e an anthem and flag) to rail against?

I do fear "taking a knee" has this week become the new "NHS clap". Show "something" so that at least you can say you were on side, maybe claim you did your bit. And the NHS still struggles into the future, whether you clapped or not.
For previous years, see "I bought a poppy" while forces went underfunded and veterans slept on the street in cardboard.

They still do, of course.

Last edited:

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I'm normally attuned to you Andy but...
What does that mean, to take a knee? Colin Kaepernick did it during a national anthem famously of course, and I fully get his reasoning there, but what does it mean when every player does it at a UK football match with no blind nationalism (I.e an anthem and flag) to rail against?

I do fear "taking a knee" has this week become the new "NHS clap". Show "something" so that at least you can say you were on side, maybe claim you did your bit. And the NHS still struggles into the future, whether you clapped or not.
For previous years, see "I bought a poppy" while forces went underfunded and veterans slept on the street in cardboard.

They still do, of course.
I dont think the NHS clap is really equivalent.

Footballers are, to some, idols and people to be looked up to. For them to show solidarity, could do some good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom