The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
from what i can see they are providing a plan........it has to start and come from somewhere

Well it's certainly started off from a ridiculous position. Keep the bit about the 25% revenue share, and maybe losing the League Cup.

The rest of it can get in the sea.

Especially the voting rights thing, which is just a power grab.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
i just find it strange that the government are asking the premier and their teams to bail out the lower clubs, yet they are not asking amazon, costa et al to bail out smaller business's............
Are they? I can find no reference to the Government having said any such thing in regards to "Project Big Picture". This project is proposed by Manchester United FC and Liverpool FC (with the backing of the EFL). The Government and the Premier League on the other hand have both criticised it, most notably the Government have described it as a "backroom deal". Which it is.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Are they? It's admittedly a nice overall concept, except that the Government have said no such thing (in regards to "Project Big Picture"). This project is proposed by Manchester United FC and Liverpool FC (with the backing of the EFL). The Government and the Premier League on the other hand have both criticised it, most notably the Government have described it as a "backroom deal".
my comment wasnt about the big picture proposal..........more about the governement constantly stating that the premier league has plenty of money ( ref: billion pound in transfers) and should help out the lower leagues

jowwy

Well it's certainly started off from a ridiculous position. Keep the bit about the 25% revenue share, and maybe losing the League Cup.

The rest of it can get in the sea.

Especially the voting rights thing, which is just a power grab.
totally agree, but as with all plans, you need a starting point........its not a great one, but a starting point at least

jowwy

Are the government asking that? I thought it was the FA asking.

But football shouldn’t be and isn’t a business like any other business.
All teams rely on others to survive, from the bottom to the top and should support each other to some extent.

You have to be careful what you wish for. Just look at America with their franchises and no relegation. The LA/Oakland Raiders have moved again, this time to Las Vegas, how can they maintain any credibility. imagine if Liverpool FC upped sticks and moved to Blackpool because it had better commercial potential.
pretty sure a government minister on TV today stated the premier league ha splenty of money ( Ref: transfer spend) and should hand some down to the lower leagues

vickster

Legendary Member
Are the government asking that? I thought it was the FA asking.

But football shouldn’t be and isn’t a business like any other business.
All teams rely on others to survive, from the bottom to the top and should support each other to some extent.

You have to be careful what you wish for. Just look at America with their franchises and no relegation. The LA/Oakland Raiders have moved again, this time to Las Vegas, how can they maintain any credibility. imagine if Liverpool FC upped sticks and moved to Blackpool because it had better commercial potential.
Or to Manchester....

jowwy

https://news.sky.com/story/premier-...ee-government-step-in-minister-warns-12102317

He did, sort of, but was really saying that the Government would step in if this nonsensical Project Big Picture went ahead.
"There’s a lot of money in the Premier League. Just look at the last transfer window, over £1bn - I believe that is more than the next four largest leagues in Europe put together - has been spent in that window.
"There is the money in the sport. They should be getting together to sort the sport out.”

is what he said on bbc breakfast earlier.........yet there’s also lots of money on amazon, Costa et el, should they be doing the same in sorting retail out???? I’m just curious as to why the government thinks rich football clubs should bail out poor clubs and not have the same happen in every other sector of life.......

jowwy

Or to Manchester....
It would help Manchester as both clubs there are shite lol.......

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
"There’s a lot of money in the Premier League. Just look at the last transfer window, over £1bn - I believe that is more than the next four largest leagues in Europe put together - has been spent in that window.
"There is the money in the sport. They should be getting together to sort the sport out.”

is what he said on bbc breakfast earlier.........yet there’s also lots of money on amazon, Costa et el, should they be doing the same in sorting retail out???? I’m just curious as to why the government thinks rich football clubs should bail out poor clubs and not have the same happen in every other sector of life.......
You are getting blinded by whataboutary. Plenty of MPs have called for better taxation of these international companies but it isn’t easy to solve.

Amazon or Costa have no benefit in protecting their competition. They are totally independent and would be more successful without their competitors.

Football teams require Decent competition to stay relevant. They can’t play against themselves.

AndyRM

XOXO
@Beebo has put it perfectly.

As an example, look at the Old Firm. They hoover up the resources and best players in Scotland, then wonder why they do badly in European Competition. Admittedly, they are doing rather better over the last couple of seasons, which I'm actually kind of pleased about as it helps our co-efficient.

So competition is the name of the game, and the PL could easily afford to reduce the gulf between sides, and help stop them going under.

jowwy

You are getting blinded by whataboutary. Plenty of MPs have called for better taxation of these international companies but it isn’t easy to solve.

Amazon or Costa have no benefit in protecting their competition. They are totally independent and would be more successful without their competitors.

Football teams require Decent competition to stay relevant. They can’t play against themselves.
What I’m saying is.....why should rich clubs bail out poor ones??? Why shouldn’t governments who bail out other companies also bail out sport???

jowwy

@Beebo has put it perfectly.

As an example, look at the Old Firm. They hoover up the resources and best players in Scotland, then wonder why they do badly in European Competition. Admittedly, they are doing rather better over the last couple of seasons, which I'm actually kind of pleased about as it helps our co-efficient.

So competition is the name of the game, and the PL could easily afford to reduce the gulf between sides, and help stop them going under.
So why did no one bail out rangers then??? why were they left to go bankrupt and restart??? Why wasn’t richer Scottish clubs asked to put money forward to stop them going under???

the answer.....it wasn’t in the interest of other clubs to bail out a competitor, it’s that simple.

AndyRM

XOXO
So why did no one bail out rangers then??? why were they left to go bankrupt and restart??? Why wasn’t richer Scottish clubs asked to put money forward to stop them going under???

the answer.....it wasn’t in the interest of other clubs to bail out a competitor, it’s that simple.

It was a bit more complicated than that...

Top Bottom