The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
If it’s in the best interest of football that the premier league help out lower tier teams.....

why didn’t it happen to stop teams like hull, Wigan, Portsmouth, Bolton, coventry et al going into administration, was it not in their best interests then in the name of competition.......why is it only relevant now???

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
If it’s in the best interest of football that the premier league help out lower tier teams.....

why didn’t it happen to stop teams like hull, Wigan, Portsmouth, Bolton, coventry et al going into administration, was it not in their best interests then in the name of competition.......why is it only relevant now???
Because those teams by and large were poorly run and over stretched themselves during normal operations.
Well run Clubs currently have no income stream through no fault of their own.

jowwy

Because those teams by and large were poorly run and over stretched themselves during normal operations.
Well run Clubs currently have no income stream through no fault of their own.
And through no fault of the premier league......but again, that’s not the argument put forward up the thread, it’s argued it’s best for competition, so again, why wasn’t it best for competition before???

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
And through no fault of the premier league......but again, that’s not the argument put forward up the thread, it’s argued it’s best for competition, so again, why wasn’t it best for competition before???
Really?
Because if they bailed out overspending teams once then every other team would just overspend as there would be no risk.

AndyRM

XOXO
but the principal is the same.........

Not really. As @Beebo said with your other examples, clubs that over-spend and get themselves into difficulty have only themselves to blame.

Rangers were going about their business in some seriously dodgy ways. They were lucky to be allowed to restart in the bottom division. They're massively overspending now too, and it will all end in tears, again.

It's maybe a bit idealistic of me to want those who have, help out those who don't. That's how it is though, and I accept that.

You've made your views clear on this more than once now, and it's clear they aren't going to change; I accept that too.

jowwy

Not really. As @Beebo said with your other examples, clubs that over-spend and get themselves into difficulty have only themselves to blame.

Rangers were going about their business in some seriously dodgy ways. They were lucky to be allowed to restart in the bottom division. They're massively overspending now too, and it will all end in tears, again.

It's maybe a bit idealistic of me to want those who have, help out those who don't. That's how it is though, and I accept that.

You've made your views clear on this more than once now, and it's clear they aren't going to change; I accept that too.
So is it right for the government to bail out other companies that have Covid restrictions placed upon them.....but football have to sort themselves out???

AndyRM

XOXO
So is it right for the government to bail out other companies that have Covid restrictions placed upon them.....but football have to sort themselves out???

A lot of football clubs took advantage of the government's furlough scheme...

This isn't about football "sorting itself out", it's about redistributing wealth more evenly, reducing the gulfs between the leagues and supporting the national sport more fairly.

jowwy

A lot of football clubs took advantage of the government's furlough scheme...

This isn't about football "sorting itself out", it's about redistributing wealth more evenly, reducing the gulfs between the leagues and supporting the national sport more fairly.
You honestly believe that?........

AndyRM

XOXO
You honestly believe that?........

Er, yes. I wouldn't have written it if I didn't.

If the Premier League sacrificed let's say 3% of their revenue, and let's go wild and ask for 2% off Championship sides to be redistributed throughout other clubs that would hardly dent their finances, would it?

jowwy

Er, yes. I wouldn't have written it if I didn't.

If the Premier League sacrificed let's say 3% of their revenue, and let's go wild and ask for 2% off Championship sides to be redistributed throughout other clubs that would hardly dent their finances, would it?
So is that in the best interest of competition???

jowwy

This is getting tedious.

Yes, I believe it is. You don't, and that's fine.

I don't know what you're getting from this exchange.
So you think by doing this, it will stop clubs going to the wall and increase competition.....honestly I think your deluded and live in a world of fantasy and make believe........

all clubs will do is keep spending beyond their means, cause they will believe, hey it’s ok, the premier league with all its wealth will bail us out, over and over and over again....

how about clubs are held responsible for their own finances and if they can’t get it to work, they sell to someone who can or they fold......then they may just start taking responsibility for their own failures.

it won’t increase competition one jot......

AndyRM

XOXO
So you think by doing this, it will stop clubs going to the wall and increase competition.....honestly I think your deluded and live in a world of fantasy and make believe........

all clubs will do is keep spending beyond their means, cause they will believe, hey it’s ok, the premier league with all its wealth will bail us out, over and over and over again....

how about clubs are held responsible for their own finances and if they can’t get it to work, they sell to someone who can or they fold......then they may just start taking responsibility for their own failures.

it won’t increase competition one jot......

As @Beebo alluded to, increased payments wouldn't be allowed for teams spending out-with their means. Obviously the payments would be strictly monitored, but I'd hoped that would have gone without saying.

The clubs mentioned up-thread have all rebuilt, with varying degrees of success.

While we're on about finances, I'd also introduce a salary cap, and that goes for all leagues, both domestically and abroad. I'd have no problem with players augmenting their salaries with sponsorships or endorsements, but clubs shouldn't be paying the ridiculous amounts they are. Look at Bale and Messi as two examples of how players can essentially hold clubs to ransom. Bobo Baldé was a similar story at Celtic.

jowwy

As @Beebo alluded to, increased payments wouldn't be allowed for teams spending out-with their means. Obviously the payments would be strictly monitored, but I'd hoped that would have gone without saying.

The clubs mentioned up-thread have all rebuilt, with varying degrees of success.

While we're on about finances, I'd also introduce a salary cap, and that goes for all leagues, both domestically and abroad. I'd have no problem with players augmenting their salaries with sponsorships or endorsements, but clubs shouldn't be paying the ridiculous amounts they are. Look at Bale and Messi as two examples of how players can essentially hold clubs to ransom. Bobo Baldé was a similar story at Celtic.
Now your starting to talk sense......it’s not enough that clubs get handed payments as bail outs to offset their bad financial control. There has to be responsibility from the owners of the clubs to ensure they can stand on their own two feet and be a viable commodity.

its what the owners of Liverpool are trying to do with their club......only spend what you bring in, don’t over reach with the budgets and if the fans don’t like it tough. But football fans want to see success and money being spent and if that doesn’t happen they cry and scream, send up banners of fsg out, glazer out etc etc etc...........the whole game needs a fundamental rebuild from the ground up.

but it will never happen.......

AndyRM

XOXO
Now your starting to talk sense......it’s not enough that clubs get handed payments as bail outs to offset their bad financial control. There has to be responsibility from the owners of the clubs to ensure they can stand on their own two feet and be a viable commodity.

its what the owners of Liverpool are trying to do with their club......only spend what you bring in, don’t over reach with the budgets and if the fans don’t like it tough. But football fans want to see success and money being spent and if that doesn’t happen they cry and scream, send up banners of fsg out, glazer out etc etc etc...........the whole game needs a fundamental rebuild from the ground up.

but it will never happen.......

That's the spirit!

Sadly, I agree with you, though I believe it could happen if proper proposals were made; "The Big Picture" is very much the opposite of that.

It is good to see that Liverpool are trying to do things properly - according to Transfermarkt the club has made a profit in 3 of the last 4 years, which is pretty impressive.

Top Bottom