The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Clemence was part of a golden generation of England goalkeepers who were generally acknowledged as the best in the in the world. When you see some of the disasters we've had between the posts recently, it shows how far we've fallen.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Two things I know about Ray Clemence, 1). I remember him writing about the amount of money in football meant that his son Steven, when he signed a contract at Spurs meant Steven was being paid more money in one season than Ray - 61 England caps, Three European Cups, Five league titles, two UEFA cups, one UEFA super-cup, one FA cup and one League cup - earned in that entire illustrious career! And 2) I was coming back from Anfield after one game watching Liverpool win 3-1 against Spurs to clinch the title and Ray had been in the North London Rangers' goal that day and was sitting in a window seat of their coach on the M62 going home. One of the uncouth lads in our car gestured the 3-1 score with his fingers to Clemence who raised his hands and applauded us for winning the title that day (one of the greatest goals I've ever seen grace Anfield came from their striker Glenoddel to open the scoring that memorable afternoon - applauded by all corners of the ground).

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Not long before we play Brighton. Can we continue our run of good form?

I think so, my prediction is 3-1 to the mighty Villa. Watkins, Grealish and Barkley scoring one a piece.

Now watch Villa do a Villa and completely embarras myself.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Big one for the Pool tonight.
Good chance for Leicester with LFC having so many injuries.
Backs to the wall lads.......a draw would do me.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ray - 61 England caps, Three European Cups, Five league titles, two UEFA cups, one UEFA super-cup, one FA cup and one League cup -

The transfer of Clemence to Spurs looked an odd move at the time, which was explained to me by Scouse playwright Alan Bleasdale.

I came across Bleasdale, a very keen Liverpool fan, when I was living in London.

He told me the daughter of comedian Tom O'Connor was regularly babysitting for the the Clemence family in the year or so before the transfer.

When Clemence took her home, the pair would stop on Southport beach for what lots of footballers like to do with pretty young girls.

O'Connor heard about what was going on.

He had underworld contacts from his time playing in pubs and clubs, so arranged for Clemence to be visited by some nasty men.

To keep his knees intact Clemence thought it best to leave town, hence the swift transfer to Spurs.

The story was told to me by a writer of fiction, but given what we know of the general behaviour of footballers it is believable.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Big one for the Pool tonight.
Good chance for Leicester with LFC having so many injuries.
Backs to the wall lads.......a draw would do me.
Under no circumstances. A win is the only acceptable outcome. A draw is the sort of thing Evertonians settle for - and be glad if they get! Leicester have as many of their first teamers out as Liverpool, apparently.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Under no circumstances. A win is the only acceptable outcome. A draw is the sort of thing Evertonians settle for - and be glad if they get! Leicester have as many of their first teamers out as Liverpool, apparently.
I thought Leicester had a full team out? I will google that.
Edit.
They seem to have most players OK.
We, however, have most of our bacline out.
Plus Hendo, Thiago and Salah.
I will hope for a win but be happy with a draw.

Last edited:

PaulB

Legendary Member
The transfer of Clemence to Spurs looked an odd move at the time, which was explained to me by Scouse playwright Alan Bleasdale.

Well bitchy auld women do love a good gossip, don't they? All catty rumours like that come from bitter Evertonians, it's their pathetic way of getting back at their infinitely more successful neighbours and always looks petty-minded and childish.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Another good win for us, 4 without reply against the best away defense in the country is good enough for me. 11 points clear, although our nearest challengers across the city do have a couple of games in hand. Apparently our best start to a top flight season in 53 years, so looks like we are heading in the right direction for once and just need to ensure we keep it going after Christmas. 🇬🇧

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
3-0. They keep racking up those points…

Pompey won as well, 4-1 against Crewe. I've seen slightly fewer 'Jackett out' comments since they started winning like that…

PaulB

Legendary Member
2 nil up at half time. I am pleasantly surprised tbh......I hope for a draw.
@PaulB I bow to your superior knowledge (assuming we do win).
Always on the cards. There's a spirit running through this club that makes it an unstoppable machine. If we lose one player, there's one determined to be better gnashing his teeth to take his place.

Top Bottom