The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Save for 1966, Southgate has led England to their best performances ever in consecutive championships. The England squad is good, but not that good.

In the last Euros, England were also deservedly defeated. By Iceland. In the world cup previous, England failed to win a single game, and drew 0-0 with Costa Rica.

Southgate arguably has the best record of any England manager in history, and is way out in front of anyone save Ramsey.
I agree: and the win ratio quoted upthread doesn't impinge on that. I'm happy to get to a major final even with inferior stats, if that's what it takes, and I reckon most fans would take that too!

Cirrus

Veteran
Or for them not to treat England as part of the same country as Scotland when many of them do not believe that.

Get over it.
Get over it?.... Who said anything about the Scottish thinking England is part of the same country, or that they should support England?

My point, as evidenced by several Scottish posters throughout this thread, is that they appear to dislike/hate the English, be it football or anything else, they appear to have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with it.

For instance, I'm not Scottish and I don't really care if they do well or not in football or rugby etc, I certainly don't get myself worked up into a gleeful frenzy if they lose.

All about opinions of course, you may disagree . . . . but :tongue:
I think we disagree on some points, agree on others!

(I'd love more goals, but saying Denmark et al were "better" because they scored more goals is possibly over-romantic; we beat Denmark. We were in the final. We did better than everyone except Italy; the team done good! But of course we'd like them to play like 70s Brazil too 👍 )

Lovacott

Über Member
Not on here as we all seem to have a modicum of common sense, but the racial abuse against some of the England players today is sickening and goes well beyond English-Scottish-Welsh wind-ups.
A lot of the trolling could be stopped if social media was properly regulated with new users having to provide proof of ID at registration.

This wouldn't mean having to post with your true identity revealed to all, but if you posted something illegal (racist abuse etc), a warrant could be served on the service provider requesting your name and address.

Of course, this opens up another can of worms?

Lovacott

Über Member
There's only one winner, everyone else is a runner up, thats inevitable. The other runner ups would have been happy to trade places with England.
Englands current Euro record is an unbeaten run of seven matches with five wins, two draws and zero losses.

The penalty shoot out is simply a mechanism to decide who progresses to the next stage (or in the case of the final, who takes home the prize).

Simple fact is, England did not lose a football match last night.

Reactions: gbb

Venod

Eh up
This is a crowd shot of the English fans during the penalty shootout.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Sounds like Liverpool ‘supporters’: not the Scousers/Lancastrians ( GENUINE fans) but wannabees from less fashionable areas who want a successful team to follow by association/band wagoning.
So being welsh, means i live in a less fashionable area……dear me you lot really scraping the barrel

jowwy

Sounds like fightin' talk to me.... Thought that was only reserved for English fans? :boxing:
Not fighting talk at all…..but i can guarantee 100% that if i was stood in front of some of you, some of the comments aimed at me, wouldnt leave your lips. But from behind a keyboard, you all think you can say what you want…….which is typical of the way the english thugs and rascists felt last night, when abusing the footballers who missed their penalties online……..

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Not fighting talk at all…..but i can guarantee 100% that if i was stood in front of some of you, some of the comments aimed at me, wouldnt leave your lips. But from behind a keyboard, you all think you can say what you want…….which is typical of the way the english thugs and rascists felt last night, when abusing the footballers who missed their penalties online……..
Oh my.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

jowwy

Oh my.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:
What you dont get is this…….during these posts many people on here have condemned the rascists comments towards english footballers after last nights game….

but at the same time they have called me a paranoid, drug taking, wannabe bandwagoner, who lives in a less fashionable place…..ive also been called a sheep shagger, amongst other things.

dodgy

It's fascinating reading the Scottish posts on here today.

I'm trying to think of an analogous English reaction to anything, and I'm struggling.

Even Germany losing on penalties wouldn't do it.

When I was in the RAF, the Scottish on the unit invested considerably more time and money in hating England than supporting their own side. The English would support all the home nations no matter.
Strange world.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom