The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Many English here may not understand what being part of a dominant culture means

Unless you're from Yorkshire of course.

Last edited:

dodgy

Goddamit I'm a City fan and I admire him.
That’s one of the reasons I got turned off from football. You felt the need to qualify your admiration. I just don’t understand football anymore. The petty rivalry and tribalism. Player x plays for team y, therefore I dislike him. Next season player x plays for a team for which you express a preference, all of a sudden he’s great.

edit to add. Rashford is amazing.

further edit. Please understand this is not a dig at you. But we should all recognise this tribalism happens.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
That’s one of the reasons I got turned off from football. You felt the need to qualify your admiration. I just don’t understand football anymore. The petty rivalry and tribalism. Player x plays for team y, therefore I dislike him. Next season player x plays for a team for which you express a preference, all of a sudden he’s great.

It was meant as tongue in cheek...

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Quite a bit of moaning going on about Lineker,Shearer,Lampard and Ferdinand jumping up and down in the studio when Luke Shaw's 2 minute goal went in. The usual suspects (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 🇮🇪):rolleyes: were saying "they are supposed to be neutral" blah blah. Those 4 have played for their country and served it well in various world cups and euro' championships. They were celebrating what they thought might've been a winning night for England in a major final. Something they and most (nearly all in fact) former players didn't reach. I for one admire their unfettered (biased if you like) support for England during the tournament.🧐

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
Quite a bit of moaning going on about Lineker,Shearer,Lampard and Ferdinand jumping up and down in the studio when Luke Shaw's 2 minute goal went in. The usual suspects (🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 🇮🇪):rolleyes: were saying "they are supposed to be neutral" blah blah. Those 4 have played for their country and served it well in various world cups and euro' championships. They were celebrating what they thought might've been a winning night for England in a major final. Something they and most (nearly all in fact) former players didn't reach. I for one admire their unfettered (biased if you like) support for England during the tournament.🧐

I agree totally, support your nation, unfortunately plenty of English people called out Robbie Savage for doing the same thing when commentating on Wales.

This whole football thing is just a no win situation.

I may take up cycling instead.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Lol... never underestimate the capacity for Scottish folk to dislike (hate's probably too strong a word) the English.

That's quite an assumption. Not everyone in Scotland hates/dislikes the English.

I would say that we're baffled, but we do not hate/dislike.

Last edited:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Sheep shagger
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

View attachment 598847
Sheep
Sheep-shagger (also spelt sheepshagger or sheep shagger) is a derogatory term, most often used to refer to Welsh people implying that the subject has sex with sheep.[1] In a court case in Britain, the use of the term directed at a Welsh person was ruled to be a "racially aggravating" factor in a disorderly conduct offence.[2] It is also used in South Africa to refer to Australians and by Australians to refer to New Zealanders.[3]

Court case[edit]
In Prestatyn, Wales, the phrase was the subject of a 2013 court case, after Anthony Taaffe of Bolton, Greater Manchester, England, a guest at a holiday park in Gronant, called an off-duty policeman and security staff "a bunch of sheep-shaggers". Taaffe claimed, in his defence, that the phrase was "a term for people living in the countryside". He also admitted a second similar offence, in which he called a police officer, at the custody unit to which he had been taken, a "Welsh sheep shagger". Taaffe was fined £150 after he admitted racially aggravated disorderly behaviour.[2][14]

afc.png

OI! Hands off!! That's our territory. ^_^

Top Bottom