The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I think we disagree on some points, agree on others!

(I'd love more goals, but saying Denmark et al were "better" because they scored more goals is possibly over-romantic; we beat Denmark. We were in the final. We did better than everyone except Italy; the team done good! But of course we'd like them to play like 70s Brazil too 👍 )

Well, I certainly didn't say Denmark were better because they scored more goals. I posted the 'goals scored' stats for information, make your own mind up. I did suggest that England should play more attacking football especially with the exciting young talent available to them. Many 'experts' are saying the same. Read Phil Mcnulty's excellent summary on BBC Sport's website and Garry Lineker says " we have to find a way of being more attack-minded " Repeat after me 'goals win games' . . . Goals win . . . :wacko:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Right. Let’s brush everything under the carpet for now and look forward to a Christmassy World Cup 2022.

The final next year is on 22nd December.
Get in the festive vibe!

The match you refer to ended in a 1-1 draw and that is how it will be recorded. England did not lose the match.

Before penalties were used on the day, finals ending in a draw after extra time were decided by a replay and I went to the very last FA Cup final decided this way in 1993 (Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday). The result of the Saturday final was recorded as a draw with Arsenal going on to win the cup five days later in a replay which went to extra time.

In 1968, Italy won the European Championship after progressing from the semis on the back of a coin toss after drawing with the USSR.

The match itself was recorded as a draw with the coin toss happening in the dressing room.

They lost the final on penalties……….it counts as a loss
I do think both these posts can be true! Italy won the Euros (in 2021 and in 1968). Fair and square, they won by the rules in place at the time, and England were losing finalists. (despite drawing the match 1-1!)

p.s. good factoid on the '68 tournament. I'm sure Italy will be discussing that ;-)

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Out of curiosity, why did they do away with the golden goal? Still think that would be fairer than the pressures and slight luck involved in penalty taking.

Almost no-one ever scored one. It turned out to make teams ultra-scared of conceding one, rather than going all out to win the match, so you ended up with 30 minutes of really dull extra time. You're actually less likely to get to penalties with the current system.

Out of curiosity, why did they do away with the golden goal? Still think that would be fairer than the pressures and slight luck involved in penalty taking.
I *think* they found that teams became very defensive, what with no-one wanting to be the player that made a small mistake and "lost it for their country".

I happened to see a Twitter thread this morning by a bunch of US ultra-runners; "how horrible losing on pens is", "why don't they have infinite overtime like other sports" were the 2 main sentiments.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Wow this thread descended quickly :laugh:

Question for the English fans, for a country with the richest league in the world . I think also investing the most amount of money in grass roots football. To not win a major tournament would be classed as failure ? Yes/no ?

The likes of Germany/Italy rebuild quickly and come back very strong. What’s the difference? Is it just better grass roots , a conveyor belt of youngsters coming up the ranks ? Nowhere near the same money invested I think ? Could be wrong ? Just a stronger desire , players not paid gazillions whom would walk over hot coals to win ?

Much talk up here about our utter hopelessness to qualify for 20odd years and the investment made in grass roots ? Still not sure if that will come through . So yes would like to know the secret :rolleyes: .

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
These adverts are superb

<snip>
Question for the English fans, for a country with the richest league in the world . I think also investing the most amount of money in grass roots football. To not win a major tournament would be classed as failure ? Yes/no ?
<snip>
My answer is Yes/No!

England fans have been asking why we're so rubbish for as long as I can remember. Including before the Premier League. Some fans expect us to replicate '66 glory year-in year-out, most of us are more realistic and see a lot of strong football nations on the planet, that usually beat us, but not always (we have beaten every top nation on a good day).
I don't think players on £20mill/year play any better than those on £1mill/year, so being "wealthier" than Italy/Germany etc probably helps not one bit.
There are other more subtle factors at play, and perhaps Southgate has answered a few of them during his regime. perhaps not ...

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Ah, I see what you did there.

Post a comment, someone 'takes you to task' Claim it was tongue in cheek (obviously not sharp enough to see that ? ) or it's your " ham-fisted' humour.
The consumate skills of a 'veteran' I am in awe. :notworthy:

[sighs]

once more...

To put it more clearly:

Marcus Rashford is such an inspiration he transcends all the usual stereotyped divides in society.

Phew.

cambsno

I disagree - it is gesture politics and even some players like Zaha have stopped taking the knee.

Its doing something for the sake of it - imagine being a (white) player and not wanting to take the knee, everyone would brand you racist, so you go along with it. It is achieving nothing.

If clubs and players are serious about then do something that will have an impact - come of social media for example. Not for 4 days as they did but until these companies insist on proof of ID when opening an account. If the likes of Mings etc... did that I can see that having a much bigger impact - it will either cut down on abuse OR make it easy to bring these people to justice.

Top Bottom