The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Well it looks like there are going to be a few football fans having a tissy fit now that Newcastle will be up with the big boys, spending wise ;)
I for one will welcome the extra competition and hope this big, big old club can succeed after years in the wilderness.
Ashley has always got an unfair press, in my opinion. He left the club in a stable financial position and refused to bow to the pressure to piss money up the wall in pursuit of success - which can go badly wrong, look at Leeds United and Glasgow Rangers for just two of many examples.

Good for Newcastle now, but the fans should be aware that money does not guarantee success in football, the right decisions on where and how to spend it is by no means an exact science.

Stephenite

Membå
1633639288518.png

Fit and proper persons test?

Last edited:

Stephenite

Membå
Well yes, obviously, otherwise the deal wouldn`t have gone ahead!
Sorry, @carpiste it's getting late and I'm tired - I'm posting a link to a Googel link.

Edit: I've removed the pasted link as it appears to contain identifiable info.

Just goggle the cynt yourself and what you think.

Last edited:

carpiste

Guru
No need to bother. I`m guessing you are a fan of another club.... no doubt your owners are also squeaky clean!
All I like to consider is that the Premier league grows, that our clubs win more European trophies and that our footballers improbve and one day win a major trophy... even the World cup!
Imagine how our football would be if we were only allowed to have English players, English advertising, English TV, English owners and English managers? The fact we have such diversity in our football makes it so popular home and abroad. Unless, of course, you are Spanish, French or German!

Last edited:

Stephenite

Membå
@carpiste
I'm a fan of MUFC and of football generally. I wish all the best for NUFC. There's too much money in Premier League and this money is buying influence in government.

Do me a favour, buddy, and delete the quote in your post. It contains a certain amount of identifiable information.

AndyRM

XOXO
Ashley has always got an unfair press, in my opinion. He left the club in a stable financial position and refused to bow to the pressure to piss money up the wall in pursuit of success - which can go badly wrong, look at Leeds United and Glasgow Rangers for just two of many examples.

Good for Newcastle now, but the fans should be aware that money does not guarantee success in football, the right decisions on where and how to spend it is by no means an exact science.

I respect your opinion, but Ashley isn't popular on Tyneside for a variety of reasons. He pissed plenty of money up the wall during his tenure, despite which the club were relegated twice. And I know that isn't his fault, but his approach to the club has been dreadful.

It will be interesting to see where they go from here. Nowt this season, but maybe the next?

carpiste

Guru
I'm a fan of MUFC and of football generally. I wish all the best for NUFC. There's too much money in Premier League and this money is buying influence in government. Do me a favour said:
No such thing as too much money in the Premier League and as a Utd fan you should know that. How on Earth would the Glazer family manage to survive on their pittance of a salary without stripping the club of its assets....again ;)
I just think, from a football point of view, that new money going into NUFC will be a refreshing change/ addition.
I remember all the fuss Chelsea had when it was taken over by a Russian "oil man" how they went mental when City were taken over by Sheik Mansoor, LCFC by Thai, King power group. It built a huge amount of interest both here and all over the World. The best players and managers came. The football has changed beyond belief and so, politics aside, I really don`t mind the current events.

Stephenite

Membå
My fear is that inviting the Saudis, the Qataris, etc. into the PL will cause big problems.

On the other hand, my good mate at work, a Tykes fan from East Africa, will be a happy man.

vickster

Legendary Member
My fear is that inviting the Saudis, the Qataris, etc. into the PL will cause big problems.
How so? Compared to 'inviting' Americans, Russians, Thais? They're hardly being invited, they are paying a shed load of money to buy the clubs (which are businesses), PL is not a private gentleman's club, but another business surely, selling football played in England

Stephenite

Membå
How so? Compared to 'inviting' Americans, Russians, Thais? They're hardly being invited, they are paying a shed load of money to buy the clubs (which are businesses), PL is not a private gentleman's club, but another business surely, selling football played in England
Big business certainly does resemble a private gentlemen’s club.

Link to article about private chats between BJ and MBS re purchasing of NUFC
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...fter-lobbying-by-saudi-crown-prince-n3vllf29m

To me, and many others no doubt, being a fan is more than just buying into a franchise. This recent development shows the PL has hit a new low,

Top Bottom