The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Haha - this made me laugh, having watched them at the Etihad on Saturday doing precisely this. The only difference is that Burnley do it to waste time rather than gain penalties.

On English and the national team, it's notable that the English team is currently in it's richest vein of form of all time, reaching WC semi then Euros final in successive tournaments.

But I do agree that there's nothing wrong with Burnley's approach to the game. Play to your strengths.

Well, I guess you are a Manchester City fan but that wouldn't be a factor in what your saying would it ? ^_^
As for the England team being currently in " it's richest vein of form of all time " You are obviously too young to remember England won the World Cup in 1966. Incidentally there were virtually no overseas players in english football until the EU vote in1978.

Chislenko

Veteran
Well, I guess you are a Manchester City fan but that wouldn't be a factor in what your saying would it ? ^_^
As for the England team being currently in " it's richest vein of form of all time " You are obviously too young to remember England won the World Cup in 1966.

Yeah but one goal has now been proved didn't cross the line and as "some people are on the pitch" the referee should have stopped the game thus ruling out the fourth goal.

So in reality it should have been a 2-2 draw 😉

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Of course not. We are totally impartial when it comes to judging the diving, cheating, talentless whingers who play against us:rolleyes:

Incidentally there were virtually no overseas players in english football until the EU vote in1978.

The vote was in 1975, after we joined in 1973. I do remember failing to qualify in 1978, so not sure how that demonstrates the malign influence of foreign players on the national team.

No England team ever, including the 1966 team, reached two consecutive tournament semifinals, let alone a final and a semi.

Yeah but one goal has now been proved didn't cross the line and as "some people are on the pitch" the referee should have stopped the game thus ruling out the fourth goal.

So in reality it should have been a 2-2 draw 😉

Not only has it been proven that Hurst's goal went over the line, but Wolfang Weber's equaliser (2-2) should have been disallowed for obstruction of the keeper AND offside. The game should never have gone to extra time.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I would like to try and understand your very strong views on Burnley in the Premier league.
I am a Leicester City supporter so no 'axe to grind'
I accept they play a 'robust' style of football but as I said earlier re Brentford, teams have to play to their strengths.
Of all the teams in the Premiership (including Leicester) I believe Burnley have the most 'honest' players. By this I mean less 'divers' plus less grown men who fall to the ground and roll about as if shot by a sniper in the stands. This emanates from Sean Dyche of course. This probably accounts for the following statistic:-
Since VAR was introduced Man Untd have been awarded a penalty 1 every 2.9 games. Burnley have been given 4 in 64 matches and are right near the bottom of the penalties awarded count.
The 'makeup' of Burnley's squad for 2021 is 'enlightening' 😊
Players eligible for countries:-
England = 17
Scotland/Wales/Ireland = 5
Overseas = 5
Personally I feel for the good of the national team all teams should have a limit on 'overseas' players.
'Honest'? That made me laugh. How many Burnley players play for England if that's what's good about them? The problem is nothing to do with 'robust' football, they are a dirty team yet the majority of their fans can't describe Leeds United as Leeds United. They refer to them as 'dirty' Leeds yet can't see the irony in their description.

Every time the team I support play them, we have the pathetic sight of seeing them waste time from the fifth minute onwards, even when they're behind. They've accepted they're going to get beat so let's go for the next best thing; keep the defeat as low as we can, and maim some of their players while we're at it, seeming to be their policy.

The other problem they have is their fans. They have one song essentially basically that's the one they have about Blackburn Rovers, there being nothing else on their agenda. Or then they'll sing about how poverty stricken the backgrounds of the fans of the team they're playing must be, again, missing the irony entirely.

No, they add nothing to the entertainment or excitement of Premiership football and quite frankly, don't deserve to be there and thankfully, after this season's over, they won't be.

Last edited:

Scaleyback

Veteran
Of course not. We are totally impartial when it comes to judging the diving, cheating, talentless whingers who play against us:rolleyes:

The vote was in 1975, after we joined in 1973. I do remember failing to qualify in 1978, so not sure how that demonstrates the malign influence of foreign players on the national team.

" Many critics of the influx of foreign players into the English game tend to blame the decision by what was essentially the EU in 1978 to force England to allow European nationals to play over here. "
Read it here:- Foreign players in football

{QUOTE}
No England team ever, including the 1966 team, reached two consecutive tournament semifinals, let alone a final and a semi.
So a losing final + a losing semi-final is superior to a winning final. Lets agree to disagree. :boxing:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Atletico vs LFC was a good/interesting game.
At 15 minutes it looked all too easy and Atletico seemed feeble........then they got it together and it turned into a real game with lots of twists and turns.
The return leg should be good.

carpiste

Guru
Atletico vs LFC was a good/interesting game.
At 15 minutes it looked all too easy and Atletico seemed feeble........then they got it together and it turned into a real game with lots of twists and turns.
The return leg should be good.
It`ll be interesting if Atletico can keep 11 men on the pitch! ;)

Scaleyback

Veteran
In my opinion a throughly decent bloke who has been vilified by a section of the 'Toon' fans when he was 'hamstrung' by lack of funds for recruitment and lack of interest by the owner, who had wanted rid for many years. The current team is still the core of the championship winning team from 2017 and yet Bruce has managed to keep them a mid table team. I think many 'Toon' fans thought Benitz was going to lead them to the promised land ^_^ Rafa knew the score, he got out when he could.

P.S
{Quote}
Newcastle forward Allan Saint-Maximin, who joined the Magpies in August 2019, is one of the side's key players and he said it had been an "honour and a privilege" to have Bruce as his coach.

"You are, without a doubt, one of the most gentle people that I have ever met in the world of football," wrote Saint-Maximin on social media.

"You have been a man of your word, a caring man and a fair man who never hesitated to protect us. I will never forget how you treated me, for that I will be forever grateful."
{Unquote}

Last edited:
Top Bottom