The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sebastian Haller

Utrecht picked Seb up from Auxerre reserves on loan with an option to buy. At the end of the loan period Utrecht didn't have enough money to exercise the option (rumoured to be between 700,000 and a million euros). Fans protested, held collections, sold T-shirts, etc to make up the shortfall. Next season, Seb was sold to Frankfurt for enough money to stave off bankruptcy. The sell-on clauses with West Ham and Ajax are still keeping the club afloat.

Thanks, Seb. Thanks, West Ham.

seb.jpg

PaulB

Legendary Member
In the major competition currently underway that has received zero attention on what's supposed to be a football thread, Senegal, Egypt, Burkina Faso and hosts Cameroon have all made the semi finals. That's in the Africa Cup of Nations, you know, Africa's equivalent of the Euros. That's where national teams play each other to decide who is that continents champions.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@PaulB you've referred to the ACN in this way a few times and I can see you feel we should take more interest. May I ask why?

I'm very much a live football fan, I rarely watch TV football coverage so I've no idea what is happening in the ACN other than the awful death of some fans.

These days my interest is entirely centred on my club so I know what's happening in the Championship but little of elsewhere. I used to have a much deeper and wider interest but this has been destroyed by the TV money. For me the beautiful game and all that meant died 20 years ago which is why I've no interest in the ACN.

Can't give up my club though despite everything we've been through the last 11-12 years. It's an addiction.

In the major competition currently underway that has received zero attention on what's supposed to be a football thread, Senegal, Egypt, Burkina Faso and hosts Cameroon have all made the semi finals. That's in the Africa Cup of Nations, you know, Africa's equivalent of the Euros. That's where national teams play each other to decide who is that continents champions.
So what, cos Liverpool have a couple of players taking part?

Believe it or not Wolves have one!

Romain Saiss. He got a mention on the Dutch radio commentary yesterday!
He's the one, fantastic player for a club like ours.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Mixed feelings really, exiting player with little end result.
I would have been happy to keep him but he wanted to leave as an offer of 100k per week had been on the table for a while.

Glad he's gone abroad though.
yeh he could be lethal, if he could learn to kick the ball properly lol.......

PaulB

Legendary Member
@PaulB you've referred to the ACN in this way a few times and I can see you feel we should take more interest. May I ask why?

I'm very much a live football fan, I rarely watch TV football coverage so I've no idea what is happening in the ACN other than the awful death of some fans.

These days my interest is entirely centred on my club so I know what's happening in the Championship but little of elsewhere. I used to have a much deeper and wider interest but this has been destroyed by the TV money. For me the beautiful game and all that meant died 20 years ago which is why I've no interest in the ACN.

Can't give up my club though despite everything we've been through the last 11-12 years. It's an addiction.
I have no idea what the ACN is but the AFCON represents the nearest thing to the beautiful game that currently exists since it's not played for money and some countries that otherwise wouldn't get a mention in the media are playing to a world-wide audience. And THAT'S why this should generate more interest than it currently does on this because it's supposed to be a thread about football.

Top Bottom