The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@PaulSB Good win for you last night,put’s you in the mix.
How do you rate Diaz?
West Ham reported to be interested in him?
This is a very interesting one! He signed on loan from Forest in summer 2018 with the move made permanent for £7m in January 2019. He was frankly hopeless, not a clue, and the general view was anyone of us could turn up with a pair of boots and do better!!!! 9 goals in 80 league games is not a £7m striker. The guy who sits next to me nods wisely and says "well I suppose someone saw something in him." Then it was discovered he's half Chilean (hence the name change from Brereton to Diaz) and was called up for their Copa America squad summer 2021. The player who returned has been a complete and utter revelation, playing out of his skin and scoring 20 goals in 24 league matches. He's away with Chile at present. If you were to sign him, which I doubt would be allowed by Rovers, it will all depend on which version turns up.

Last summer Skybet offered 1000/1 against Diaz scoring 20 league goals by December 31st 2021. The take up was good and the odds shortened to 500/1. He scored the 20th goal after 65 minutes on December 29th!!!! I have three friends who left Ewood very happy that night. Lucky buggers.

Clearly I'm biased but I'm old enough to take a logical view of these things. If West Ham come in with enough money, £40-50m, I could see the club saying yes. What you're up against is a straightforward gamble for Rovers owners. The owners have "invested" £150m in supporting losses over the past decade. Selling Diaz would recoup a chunk of that but promotion would recoup far, far more in one season and even if we came straight back down the parachute payments would solve all our financial issues. The owners don't need the cash, they are extraordinarily wealthy, and in their shoes I would gamble on promotion. Buying the club was all about profile in India and getting back to the PL would help achieve that. "Face" is more important to the owners than cash and this is the opportunity to save face after a disastrous decade of ownership.

As for the player on a personal level? The squad is on a £10m bonus to achieve promotion apportioned on appearances. If Ben is good enough his time in the PL will come. If he's sensible he will weigh this up; the highs of a promotion, share in a £10m bonus and promotion on his CV as top scorer against a move to WHU which could leave him warming the bench. If he stays if we fail to go up he will be sold, on balance I feel he would be better served spending another five months in Lancashire and then deciding.

I'll be surprised if he leaves. There are no rumours up here. His value won't change other than increase if he keeps scoring.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@The Central Scrutinizer there is one other point surrounding a possible transfer. Diaz is playing for Chile against Argentina on Thursday and then Bolivia on February 1st. He can hardly agree a deal from South America so while I'd like to see him playing for us now I'll settle for him missing three games if it means he stays till the end of May.

Fat Lars

LFC fortunate today.
1st 20 minutes they were all over Palace. Then they lost it and Palace had at least 3 good chances.
LFC got a pen near the end. I am a life long LFC supporter but imo that was not a penalty.
Yeah I saw the replay of that. Of course we will never know what might have happened if the penalty was not given. I'm not a Crystal Palace supporter but if I was I would claim a moral victory as a consolation. I am a Spurs supporter and IMO we were denied a goal by a piece of cheating by Thiago who threw himself forward from the slightest touch. When you are on what is purported to be a level paying field and the officials take sides against you then you have the moral victory. Winning by cheating is not winning at all. We all know deep down

@PaulSB I don’t think West Ham would pay that as we got our fingers burnt with Sebastian Haller who cost 45 Million Pounds .He didn’t do very well for us and had the body language of someone who didn’t want to be there.Since going to Ajax he’s scoring hatfuls.
As you say Blackburn don’t need to sell him and you’ll going to need him as you push for promotion.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@PaulSB....... https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19872435.blackburn-rovers-reject-third-bournemouth-bid-joe-rothwell/Cheeky thinking Rovers would sell him to a small club in comparison, who could be their ultimate rivals for that second automatic promotion place I'd say. 🤔
Back in '92 when we bought Duncan Shearer from Swindon Town many thought it was to weaken them rather than strengthen Rovers. If it wasn't Shearer it was a player whose name began with W and came from a Sheffield club.

It was widely rumoured in November Rothwell would join Rangers in January but Gerrard moving to Villa seems to have stopped that one.

We've got 5-6 players out of contract in the summer. I think it's a simple gamble for Rovers, take a quick buck now, say £5m for Rothwell against probable PL money of +/- £120m in season 2022/23. On those odds I'm sure we won't roll the dice unless the offer is ridiculously high.......

There's a great spirit in the side and I think the out of contract players know their options are simple. Hope for promotion and PL football in the summer with Rovers or leave anyway in the summer. Either way if a player is good enough he'll get PL football inside seven months.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Meanwhile, in the thing people on here are ignoring, Senegal's Sadio Mane collided with the Cabo Verde 'keeper and both suffered bad head injuries that knocked the pair out. The CV 'keeper was shown a red card and carried off the pitch. Mane was allowed to play on but after scoring one of the two goals that secured Senegal's progress into the last 8, he fell to the ground holding his head and was substituted. This may impede his progress in the competition.

Attachments

• manepic1.jpg
    manepic1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Why no premiership this weekend? It isn't FA cup.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Winter break I think 🤷‍♀️ 24 Jan to 7 Feb
I know it's terrible isn't it. The poor dear lambs get so exhausted they need two weeks off in winter. I'd like to say its ridiculous but probably better not. I do though struggle to understand how well trained, physically fit young men are too tired to play football once or twice a week through the season.

I don't suppose it could in anyway be linked to the unending greed of PL, other European leagues and the media? I can't help but wonder if the ever-increasing demands placed on players meaning they are "tired" is a direct result of this greed which demands more and more games.

Perhaps the PL clubs should look at themselves first? Ha!

Hmmmmm..........

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
How long before the likes of Chelsea, Man United/City, Newcastle, etc. are flying off to play six games in those two weeks against Ajax, PSG, Bayern, etc. to entertain crowds in Korea, Abu Dabi, China, etc.?
they arent allowed.........its in the winter break rules, that friendlies cant be played.

Top Bottom