The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I know it's terrible isn't it. The poor dear lambs get so exhausted they need two weeks off in winter. I'd like to say its ridiculous but probably better not. I do though struggle to understand how well trained, physically fit young men are too tired to play football once or twice a week through the season.

I don't suppose it could in anyway be linked to the unending greed of PL, other European leagues and the media? I can't help but wonder if the ever-increasing demands placed on players meaning they are "tired" is a direct result of this greed which demands more and more games.

Perhaps the PL clubs should look at themselves first? Ha!

Hmmmmm..........
or maybe its linked to them being human beings and we all get tired, even in ordinary every day jobs.

Have you tried being in peak physical condition for 37weeks of the year?? its easy for us to sit here and say the things we do, but we dont live their life, we dont know what their bodies go through on a week to week bases. Also during xmas it was a game every 3 days for some of them.

I myself am no where near peak physical condition, but garmin watch tells me everyday that my body battery is weakening and i need to rest and i sit at a desk all day. i wonder what their data collection systems are telling them on a daily basis???

isnt it funny that other countries have been having winter breaks for years, even in scotland. Its only on england that they dont. Probably because of the stiff upper lip syndrome and man up attitudes.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Looks like LFC are close to signing Diaz, the Colombian winger.
If they can get the deal done before the Monday deadline it will be £37M plus add ons.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Looks like LFC are close to signing Diaz, the Colombian winger.
If they can get the deal done before the Monday deadline it will be £37M plus add ons.
fingers crossed we got it over the line, but they got 3 days, so it should happen

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm pretty sure that the clubs going off on 'warm weather training camps' will have arranged a few kickabouts with local sides. I know that Killie managed to play a Romanian side when they were off on their Marbella jaunt a couple of seasons ago.

The whole winter break thing is an absolute myth, doesn't apply across all leagues, so what's the point?

We're talking about athletes at the top of their physical ability here, who have a limited career and in the top flights earn obscene amounts of money. It's fair enough to expect that (injury or extenuating circumstance) they can function at that level for 37 weeks. And no, that isn't easy, but the amount of technological advice, nutritional awareness and other ample time to rest between EPL games (for example) is huge.

But then my team is in a league which is currently topped by a part time club who have 'real' jobs and have to train after those, so my view may be a bit skewed.

In any case certain clubs are a law unto themselves. As is football in general when it comes to employment/contract laws.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My boys are at Luton today. This is a game we absolutely must and on paper should win. All the ingredients needed for a loss, it's going to be a sweaty afternoon.

The four sides below us in the Play Off spots all have very winnable games. If Rovers lose a lot of very hard work will be a little undone. Not disastrous but not helpful either.

I have friends who support three of the teams in play off contention. We all agree unless Fulham blow up there is only one automatic promotion spot to play for. There are 3-4 teams hovering outside the play off zone who could come in to contention. If Luton beat us today they'll be getting close as well.

Any team which manages to get ahead of Fulham is nailed on to go up in my opinion. I'm desperately hoping Rovers can grab second spot. I've been though the play offs before and it's agony. Losing at Selhurst Park in '89 still hurts today. That and the final is the same day as Ride London!!! No contest.

Last edited:
@PaulSB I feel your pain with the play-offs.
2004,2005 and 2012 West Ham were in the play-offs and as you say it's agony.
I went to Cardiff for the 2005 game against PNE which we won 1-0 but the last six minutes of extra time were nail biting.
Play-offs might make an exiting spectacle but i just think the top three should go up automatically.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@PaulSB I feel your pain with the play-offs.
2004,2005 and 2012 West Ham were in the play-offs and as you say it's agony.
I went to Cardiff for the 2005 game against PNE which we won 1-0 but the last six minutes of extra time were nail biting.
Play-offs might make an exiting spectacle but i just think the top three should go up automatically.
Oh tell me about it! It is fantastic if you win and devastating to lose. Palace was terrible but Wembley in '92 when we beat Leicester was ecstatic. Even then we had the pain of going 2-0 down to Derby County in the first leg semi until David Speedie stood up and took control for a 4-2 win. We then had 10,000 on the pitch at Ewood watching a live relay of the second league we lost 2-1 to then win 5-4 on penalties........

......it is what it is!

10,000 fans singing at large screen is a bizarre experience 🤣

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Like so much in the game today, the play offs are their to satisfy the TV companies and keep the money rolling in. Money that's then pissed up the wall on players wages while the clubs themselves flirt with bankruptcy.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Like so much in the game today, the play offs are their to satisfy the TV companies and keep the money rolling in. Money that's then pissed up the wall on players wages while the clubs themselves flirt with bankruptcy.
Spot on and in relation to wages something I've been saying for years. I remember discussing this with John Williams, at the time Blackburn Rovers CEO, and it was I think the third round of Sky money. He told me this time it would be different, the PL clubs were not going to watch all the money go out of the game on wages.

It was the one time I was disappointed in John as it didn't happened.

Chislenko

Veteran
Spot on and in relation to wages something I've been saying for years. I remember discussing this with John Williams, at the time Blackburn Rovers CEO, and it was I think the third round of Sky money. He told me this time it would be different, the PL clubs were not going to watch all the money go out of the game on wages.

It was the one time I was disappointed in John as it didn't happened.

Ryan Hedges then incoming for you, seen him a few times for Wales, never pulled up any trees, possibly one who is getting better with age.

You just need to sign another player called Benson!!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Ryan Hedges then incoming for you, seen him a few times for Wales, never pulled up any trees, possibly one who is getting better with age.

You just need to sign another player called Benson!!
18 goals in 86 games doesn't set the pulse racing. I guess we just have to trust Tony Mowbray's judgement. We have three forwards injured so I think this is about backup more than anything.

Top Bottom