The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
The amount of money floating around the English top flight (and other European leagues) is insane. FFP is a joke. I wonder when the bubble will burst? Maybe never.

Football clubs being run as businesses for corporate entities is sad to see. I dunno, maybe that's a bit of a dramatic statement, and I know it's been going on for years, but still.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The amount of money floating around the English top flight (and other European leagues) is insane. FFP is a joke. I wonder when the bubble will burst? Maybe never.

Football clubs being run as businesses for corporate entities is sad to see. I dunno, maybe that's a bit of a dramatic statement, and I know it's been going on for years, but still.

Sadly this situation created by Sky and the formation of the PL is unlikely to change.

PL football is nothing other than Fantasy Football with no real relevance to the majority of fans. The sooner City, Liverpool, Utd, Spurs, Chelsea etc. disappear to a European league, preferably closed, the better. Then we can return to a competitive game.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

To be fair theres only one team in this transfer window splashing huge amounts of money and that's chelsea.... i mean even city are selling one of their star players of the past few seasons.

AndyRM

XOXO
Sadly this situation created by Sky and the formation of the PL is unlikely to change.

PL football is nothing other than Fantasy Football with no real relevance to the majority of fans. The sooner City, Liverpool, Utd, Spurs, Chelsea etc. disappear to a European league, preferably closed, the better. Then we can return to a competitive game.

The Fantasy Football analogy is a good one I think. Although at least in Fantasy Football you have a restricted budget.

Limitless bushels of money just makes top level football farcical IMO.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Lol.

How many clubs do you want to get rid of? Pro football has always, since its inception, been the plaything of rich owners as well as the passion of fans. Currently the difference is that those owners are making money rather than sinking it into the clubs.

Splitting the league up won't change the influence of rich owners, you'll just get lower quality football.

jowwy

Lol.

How many clubs do you want to get rid of? Pro football has always, since its inception, been the plaything of rich owners as well as the passion of fans. Currently the difference is that those owners are making money rather than sinking it into the clubs.

Splitting the league up won't change the influence of rich owners, you'll just get lower quality football.

i cant believe im agreeing with you.....

Lose all the clubs to super league and the money will fall out of every other league in england as sky will just show the super league. No trickle down money, no relegation money...no handouts when clubs are struggling as they did during covid. Nadda, Nothing, Zilch...see how many clubs are left within a few years.

Alex321

Veteran

Grounds are generally reasonably full in the PL. Those fans appear to think it still relevant.

And around the world, I believe the PL is generally regarded as about the best overall.

And as Jowwy says, take out those clubs to some super league, it would destroy the game in the English lower leagues, with no way to get promoted to where you can compete against the big name clubs, and much less money coming in.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The championship has less money floating around in it, and competition is all the better for it.

jowwy

The championship has less money floating around in it, and competition is all the better for it.

who's top of the league?? ah yes the teams getting relegation money from the premier league and re-investing it to come back up.

i mean the top two are so far ahead, its hardly competitive as you say

1675160568855.png

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm not sure the reliance on Sky is necessarily as big as some people seem to think.

Obviously there's an element of importance about their broadcast rights/package, but the bigger clubs are generally bankrolled by people who are independently wealthy of Sky.

I dunno, the whole thing seems a bit ridiculous with the astronomical sums involved.

Alex321

Veteran

I don't think lack of money is what makes it more competitive.

And yes, there may be less money in the Championship than in the PL, but if the cream of the PL were taken away, there would be much less money there, and far less coming down to the lower leagues.

jowwy

I'm not sure the reliance on Sky is necessarily as big as some people seem to think.

Obviously there's an element of importance about their broadcast rights/package, but the bigger clubs are generally bankrolled by people who are independently wealthy of Sky.

I dunno, the whole thing seems a bit ridiculous with the astronomical sums involved.

so you think the 700m that liverpool made last year, was only because we have rich owners?? Liverpool made 151m last year from TV rights, thats 21% of their income, a fair chunk of money.

If 3.75 Billion isnt big, then what is??

1675162636540.png

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
the bigger clubs are generally bankrolled by people who are independently wealthy of Sky.

Sure, but those people are actually making money because of the revenue from Sky. These businesses are not basket cases propped up by subsidy, they're making serious cash. How much more did Ashley sell Newcastle for than he bought it? How much have the Glazers made from Man Utd?

AndyRM

XOXO
Sure, but those people are actually making money because of the revenue from Sky. These businesses are not basket cases propped up by subsidy, they're making serious cash. How much more did Ashley sell Newcastle for than he bought it? How much have the Glazers made from Man Utd?

Not sure that Ashley is the best example to use. I suppose having Sports Direct plastered all over the stadium and being shown regularly helped.

I don't know the numbers, but personally I doubt that Sky is somehow propping up the English game.

I suppose the way I look at it is this: many people said that Scottish football would die when Rangers went bust. That didn't happen, and I don't think that if Sky pulled out of England it would kill the game.

Top Bottom