The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Definitely some miserable folk in here, defo confirms my long held suspicion that you would have more fun at a Scottish funeral than an English wedding. :popcorn:

Yes, teams like Linfield had the audacity to qualify for a European competition, and yes, there were others not much better than Dukla Pumpherston in the mix for a while, but there was also a number of teams that probably felt this year could be their year, given the investment in playing staff.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/clubs/0

My opinion is, any European competition is a major trophy, and the fact UEFA made another balls up of deciding on a suitable venue is neither here nor there, as well, that's just what they do. My team were a penalty kick away from winning the second rate trophy last season and the price we paid for that was we couldn't kick our own backsides this season, but if we had won he thing, I would still be celebrating despite the detractors.

Oh aye, and the fact another English team, had to rely on another Scotsman to lead them to glory, has only a wee bit to do with my glee. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Well done lads. :thumbsup:
Well said Slick
I didn't want any gushing praise and i said it was the third rated European competition but you get the usual suspects on here who want to analyse everything and deflate your balloon.Micky mouse cup,little final stadium blah,blah etc.Yeah i get the message.
We are not Man City,Man Utd,Liverpool or Chelsea who are used to winning titles and cups.We haven't won anything in years so it was a big deal to the West Ham supporters even though it was a "micky mouse" cup.
I have always praised other peoples teams on here but maybe i should start putting my cynical hat on.

AndyRM

XOXO
Definitely some miserable folk in here, defo confirms my long held suspicion that you would have more fun at a Scottish funeral than an English wedding. :popcorn:

Yes, teams like Linfield had the audacity to qualify for a European competition, and yes, there were others not much better than Dukla Pumpherston in the mix for a while, but there was also a number of teams that probably felt this year could be their year, given the investment in playing staff.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/clubs/0

My opinion is, any European competition is a major trophy, and the fact UEFA made another balls up of deciding on a suitable venue is neither here nor there, as well, that's just what they do. My team were a penalty kick away from winning the second rate trophy last season and the price we paid for that was we couldn't kick our own backsides this season, but if we had won he thing, I would still be celebrating despite the detractors.

Oh aye, and the fact another English team, had to rely on another Scotsman to lead them to glory, has only a wee bit to do with my glee. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Well done lads. :thumbsup:

Again, I don't disagree with this. To be honest, I suppose it's just how the Beeb have reported it that has irked me.

And I've been reminded of Killie's last European exploits which ended in disaster against Connah's Quay Nomads and heralded a truly miserable few seasons.

Thinking about it further, UEFA have pretty much created their European Super League now, albeit with a slightly different structure than expected.

potsy

Rambler
Well said Slick
I didn't want any gushing praise and i said it was the third rated European competition but you get the usual suspects on here who want to analyse everything and deflate your balloon.Micky mouse cup,little final stadium blah,blah etc.Yeah i get the message.
We are not Man City,Man Utd,Liverpool or Chelsea who are used to winning titles and cups.We haven't won anything in years so it was a big deal to the West Ham supporters even though it was a "micky mouse" cup.
I have always praised other peoples teams on here but maybe i should start putting my cynical hat on.

Spot on, you can only win the competitions you are in.
We (Stockport) celebrated winning the regional none league title and then the national league just as much as City did for winning their titles.
Ignore the haters ^_^

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well said Slick
I have always praised other peoples teams on here but maybe i should start putiting my cynical hat on.

Being a Chelsea fan with a lot of friends and family being Hammers, I couldn't be more chuffed for them/you.
It was the same for us when we won the FA Cup back in 97, I don't think I have ever celebrated so much in my life, not having seen Chelsea win anything since I started going In 1974. It was a long wait.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Well said Slick

It was a great win, ignore the jealous miserable ****ers! Wonderful seeing the happiness of fans in the news yesterday.

Up the irons!!

And Blue Moon rising tomorrow - we also had a decades long drought before FA Cup in '11.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I do wonder if their European exploits have impacted West Ham given their league struggles?

It probably has. Takes a lot to mount a full EPL season campaign plus FA & League cups and a Euro comp' - especially hard for teams without deep pockets and effectively having the strength in depth to have, more or less, two first teams to put out.

Fair play to WHU.

Where the comp' sits in the order of prestige of all cups available to an EPL team is moot.

Answers on a postcard...

srj10

Guru
All the papers saying that Ange Postecoglou is the first Australian to manage Spurs must have forgotten about this man
Nd9GcRluD2qNO7nUzu5GE7Vmgjk-2e4Zmn3LBlT7g&usqp=CAU.jpg

It was a great win, ignore the jealous miserable ****ers! Wonderful seeing the happiness of fans in the news yesterday.

Up the irons!!

And Blue Moon rising tomorrow - we also had a decades long drought before FA Cup in '11.
Good luck for tomorrow,I'll be cheering you on.:okay:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
disaster against Connah's Quay Nomads

Horrible team of hoofballers with a prick of a manager and a self-gratification artist of an assistant. Only time I've ever seen stewards form a security cordon around the away team dugout at the Bairnebau.

AndyRM

XOXO
Horrible team of hoofballers with a prick of a manager and a self-gratification artist of an assistant. Only time I've ever seen stewards form a security cordon around the away team dugout at the Bairnebau.

Can't say I know much about their management set up, but I agree about their tactics. When I saw them at The Theatre of Pies it was one of the most frustrating games I've ever witnessed. Mourinho gets accused of parking the bus, but they made even his most stifling sides look amateur!

It didn't help that we were having a mini player revolt led by Broadfoot and Dicker at the time.

Chislenko

Veteran
Can't say I know much about their management set up, but I agree about their tactics. When I saw them at The Theatre of Pies it was one of the most frustrating games I've ever witnessed. Mourinho gets accused of parking the bus, but they made even his most stifling sides look amateur!

It didn't help that we were having a mini player revolt led by Broadfoot and Dicker at the time.

Do I detect some bitterness that an SPL side couldn't thrash a WPL side?

AndyRM

XOXO
Do I detect some bitterness that an SPL side couldn't thrash a WPL side?

Not in the slightest, but on paper it was a game we should not have lost. My biggest disappointment was falling at the first hurdle in Europe which we'd been nowhere near in over a decade.

We'd have been smashed in the next round by Partizan Belgrade in any case. Somewhat arrogantly, a lot of our fans had arranged to go over, went anyway and had a whale of a time, so that's a positive!

Chislenko

Veteran
Not in the slightest, but on paper it was a game we should not have lost. My biggest disappointment was falling at the first hurdle in Europe which we'd been nowhere near in over a decade.

We'd have been smashed in the next round by Partizan Belgrade in any case. Somewhat arrogantly, a lot of our fans had arranged to go over, went anyway and had a whale of a time, so that's a positive!

I went to Partizan to watch my team (Rhyl) in one of those qualifying rounds. We got smashed 8-0 (12-0) on aggregate.

Our centre half that day, George Horan, is now the centre half for the team that knocked you out, Nomads, or as we call them locally, No Mates!

R_nger

Guru
West Ham won the best competition they were eligible to enter. That’s a fantastic achievement.
Calling it out is like saying that Wrexham won a Mickey Mouse promotion to a third rate league.
I sure Wrexham fans were just as pleased as West Ham fans. Neither won the champions league, but that’s not the point.

I’d say they won the worst competition they were eligible to enter.

Top Bottom