The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I wasn't drunk by the way because I had drove over to meet my son in Chelmsford.
We didn't play well and the game wasn't helped by the fiorentina players ridiculously feigning injury every few minutes also those idiots throwing things should be found and given lifetime bans.
BUT who cares we won and that's all that counts.
It is the third rated European competition but their are some good teams in it and believe me it's worth winning as you get a trophy and a chance in the Europa league.
I wish Aston Villa all the best in the competition next season.

Sometimes I think people forget that 20 champions league teams drop into the conference league, so yeah, its an achievement alright. 👏

Stephenite

Membå
Congrats to Ian Sparrow(fc Shimano) for winning the CycleChat fantasy premier league.
Three teams in it this season(2022/23) that's a bit pathetic if you don't mind me mentioning.
I'll be setting up a new league for the upcoming season.

And congratulations to @The Central Scrutinizer for winning the CC FPL Cup

🏆 Egg And Cresswell

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sometimes I think people forget that 20 champions league teams drop into the conference league, so yeah, its an achievement alright. 👏

The BBC says its major trophy, so it must be. You have to wonder who its for though? Tv right TV rights and TV rights. The final was played in a 19,000 capacity stadium and appears not to have been even full. West Ham were given a paltry 5000 tickets, but undoubtedly had more there and the 9000 "neutral ticket distributed to "the world of football and sponsors" are mainly touted on. Its certainty not for the fans.

As for your 20 champions league teams, its 20 teams eliminated from the earliest qualifying rounds of the champs league (who are typically from the minor nations e.g Linfield (NI) which gets whittled down to 5 to play off against 5 teams eliminated from the later qualifying rounds of the Europa league, to then get into the round of 16, where the meet what are probably the better teams like WHU who have qualified direct fro the stronger leagues and battered a few minnows in the group stage.
The team dropping in from Europa league also nothing to worry anyone? Hearts Shamrock Rovers, Lazio (someway off their glory days a la Gazza) anyone?

Take nothing away from West ham though. The later rounds throw up some reasonable teams, but it is very much a 3rd tier plate competition.

AndyRM

XOXO
The BBC says its major trophy, so it must be. You have to wonder who its for though? Tv right TV rights and TV rights. The final was played in a 19,000 capacity stadium and appears not to have been even full. West Ham were given a paltry 5000 tickets, but undoubtedly had more there and the 9000 "neutral ticket distributed to "the world of football and sponsors" are mainly touted on. Its certainty not for the fans.

As for your 20 champions league teams, its 20 teams eliminated from the earliest qualifying rounds of the champs league (who are typically from the minor nations e.g Linfield (NI) which gets whittled down to 5 to play off against 5 teams eliminated from the later qualifying rounds of the Europa league, to then get into the round of 16, where the meet what are probably the better teams like WHU who have qualified direct fro the stronger leagues and battered a few minnows in the group stage.
The team dropping in from Europa league also nothing to worry anyone? Hearts Shamrock Rovers, Lazio (someway off their glory days a la Gazza) anyone?

Take nothing away from West ham though. The later rounds throw up some reasonable teams, but it is very much a 3rd tier plate competition.

Agree with pretty much all of this. It's just another money making competition for UEFA.

Fair play to West Ham, but it's hardly a major trophy.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Agree with pretty much all of this. It's just another money making competition for UEFA.

Fair play to West Ham, but it's hardly a major trophy.

My boys, Rovers, won the Full Members cup in 1987, 1 - 0 against Charlton. We took 32000 to Wembley that day. Little did I know but I thought it was probably going to be my only chance to see Rovers in a cup final.

We had a brilliant day. I've never forgotten the comment one steward made to another at FT "You'd think they'd won something." Too right we had won something!

I agree the Europa cup isn't a major trophy but WHU were in it, won it and so I fully understand their joy.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
My boys, Rovers, won the Full Members cup in 1987, 1 - 0 against Charlton. We took 32000 to Wembley that day. Little did I know but I thought it was probably going to be my only chance to see Rovers in a cup final.

We had a brilliant day. I've never forgotten the comment one steward made to another at FT "You'd think they'd won something." To right we had won something!

I agree the Europa cup isn't a major trophy but WHU were in it, won it and so I fully understand their joy.

Don't get me wrong, winning any tournament your team is playing in is grand, but describing it as a "major trophy" is ridiculous.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Don't get me wrong, winning any tournament your team is playing in is grand, but describing it as a "major trophy" is ridiculous.

Oh I understand exactly what your saying Andy. No problem with that at all. Just using the FMC in what I think is a decent comparison. Both I think are third ranked in their respective hierarchies.

AndyRM

XOXO
Oh I understand exactly what your saying Andy. No problem with that at all. Just using the FMC in what I think is a decent comparison. Both I think are third ranked in their respective hierarchies.

To be honest I had never heard of it before you mentioned it! Hadn't realised it had started because of the European ban on English clubs at the time, so that was a fun bit of football nerdery to discover.

I do wonder if their European exploits have impacted West Ham given their league struggles?

West Ham join that illustrious group of Roma and, er, Roma who have lifted the ECL cup. Pleased for Moysey though, he can add one his Man U community shield.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
To be honest I had never heard of it before you mentioned it! Hadn't realised it had started because of the European ban on English clubs at the time, so that was a fun bit of football nerdery to discover.

I do wonder if their European exploits have impacted West Ham given their league struggles?
I couldn't say as I take very little notice of the PL, it's of no real interest to me.

Slick

Guru
Definitely some miserable folk in here, defo confirms my long held suspicion that you would have more fun at a Scottish funeral than an English wedding. :popcorn:

Yes, teams like Linfield had the audacity to qualify for a European competition, and yes, there were others not much better than Dukla Pumpherston in the mix for a while, but there was also a number of teams that probably felt this year could be their year, given the investment in playing staff.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/clubs/0

My opinion is, any European competition is a major trophy, and the fact UEFA made another balls up of deciding on a suitable venue is neither here nor there, as well, that's just what they do. My team were a penalty kick away from winning the second rate trophy last season and the price we paid for that was we couldn't kick our own backsides this season, but if we had won he thing, I would still be celebrating despite the detractors.

Oh aye, and the fact another English team, had to rely on another Scotsman to lead them to glory, has only a wee bit to do with my glee. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Well done lads. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom