The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Sigh.

No it isn't.

Top flight leagues are just as narrowly decided between the big (read: financially backed) clubs.

Manchester Utd and Liverpool are miles ahead of any other team for league titles. Arsenal are a distant third.

It was Aberdeen who won it in '85 by the way, managed by a rather famous Scot...

It becomes tiresome after a while, so much so, I wouldn't even bother trying to educate them.

Alex321

Veteran
Sigh.

No it isn't.

Top flight leagues are just as narrowly decided between the big (read: financially backed) clubs.

Manchester Utd and Liverpool are miles ahead of any other team for league titles. Arsenal are a distant third.

It was Aberdeen who won it in '85 by the way, managed by a rather famous Scot...

The English Premiership has been won by 7 different teams in the last 20 years. It is 39 years since a 3rd team won the Scottish league.

AndyRM

XOXO
The English Premiership has been won by 7 different teams in the last 20 years. It is 39 years since a 3rd team won the Scottish league.

Take out Blackburn and Leicester (who were massively bankrolled) and you've got the usual 5 suspects, with City (and Chelsea) relatively new to the party. Liverpool too really. It's only recently that the "Big 4" expanded into a"Big 6".

I appreciate that the quality on show is better, and that a lot of people enjoy the league to the point where they can't see how flawed it has become. The current situation with points reductions for example is absolutely ridiculous.

Slick

Guru
Could be en route to another this afternoon. I'm actually surprised by how well Clement has done, foreign managers often don't in Scotland which I've never really understood.

Its probably an emotional response rather than any knowledge based decision, but I'm not convinced we will make progress today.

Again, its probably harsh and he'll "probably" make me eat my words (hopefully) but I reckon playing Dessers is like playing with a man short and even if he does get on the score sheet today, he won't be here next season. Add to that Injuries to Yilmaz and Cortes who have been outstanding any time I've watched them, the other mob at full strength should make them favourites.

Of course, anything can happen.

It becomes tiresome after a while, so much so, I wouldn't even bother trying to educate them.
So what actually are you trying to educate "us" on?
That the scottish premiership isn't a two horse race every season?
I wouldn't call scottish football a joke as @postman said and good luck to anyone who supports a Scottish team but please don't patronise "us"

Slick

Guru
So what actually are you trying to educate "us" on?
That the scottish premiership isn't a two horse race every season?
I wouldn't call scottish football a joke as @postman said and good luck to anyone who supports a Scottish team but please don't patronise "us"

I'm sorry you find it patronising, but usually I find education to be the best tool to combat ignorance. The comment regarding Scottish football is one we have heard time and time again, and its normally borne out of ignorance with the person making the comments usually totally bereft of any real knowledge of the game up here. Andy tried to bring some facts to the discussion, which is his right but I find tiresome which prompted my comments. Comments directed solely at the individual who made them, and certainly not at the collective. Upon reflection, I still think they are fair enough and I'll stand by them.

Of course, from a purely selfish point of view, after watching that 45 minutes of football, he may have actually had a point. :laugh:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sorry, fellow Scots, but I have to agree that Scottish football is PISH..
You can pretty much toss a coin at the start of the season to decide which of the OF is going to win the SPL.. That cannot make for good entertainment.

As for big English clubs being bankrolled to success; that may well be the case but in football, money buys better players and better players bring results. Glasgow Rangers of the David Murray era, anyone? All football clubs need to be bankrolled to some extent.

I have no claim to being a football fanatic (or fanatic of anything, to be honest, cycling included) but I do know difference in quality when I see it. When I watch any EPL game I see good organisation, slick and accurate passing, quality goals.... Then I watch the SPL and see none of this.

As a competition, the SPL is a joke. The Scottish Championship is far more interesting on that front, but the actual football is even worse than the SPL..
The current Rangers or Celtic teams would struggle in the English championship. But we are a small nation and our lowly standard of football at both domestic and international level is only to be expected. Our pool of potential international players is about one tenth that of England. So in a way we punch above our weight, but we are still PISH .... IMHO!

I'm sorry you find it patronising, but usually I find education to be the best tool to combat ignorance. The comment regarding Scottish football is one we have heard time and time again, and its normally borne out of ignorance with the person making the comments usually totally bereft of any real knowledge of the game up here. Andy tried to bring some facts to the discussion, which is his right but I find tiresome which prompted my comments. Comments directed solely at the individual who made them, and certainly not at the collective. Upon reflection, I still think they are fair enough and I'll stand by them.

Of course, from a purely selfish point of view, after watching that 45 minutes of football, he may have actually had a point. :laugh:

Fair Point 👍

Slick

Guru
Sorry, fellow Scots, but I have to agree that Scottish football is PISH..
You can pretty much toss a coin at the start of the season to decide which of the OF is going to win the SPL.. That cannot make for good entertainment.

As for big English clubs being bankrolled to success; that may well be the case but in football, money buys better players and better players bring results. Glasgow Rangers of the David Murray era, anyone? All football clubs need to be bankrolled to some extent.

I have no claim to being a football fanatic (or fanatic of anything, to be honest, cycling included) but I do know difference in quality when I see it. When I watch any EPL game I see good organisation, slick and accurate passing, quality goals.... Then I watch the SPL and see none of this.

As a competition, the SPL is a joke. The Scottish Championship is far more interesting on that front, but the actual football is even worse than the SPL..
The current Rangers or Celtic teams would struggle in the English championship. But we are a small nation and our lowly standard of football at both domestic and international level is only to be expected. Our pool of potential international players is about one tenth that of England. So in a way we punch above our weight, but we are still PISH .... IMHO!

Sorry @Brandane I find myself in the unusual position of totally disagreeing with you. English football bores me to tears, which might have more to do with not having a dog in the fight, but I get far more enjoyment watching Scottish 1st division games on a Friday night than any game south of the border. There may well be some cracking goals and neat interplay, but you need to wade through a number of mind numbingly boring games to get to that point, so much so, I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a full 90 minutes of a top flight game. I have watched some from the lower or so called lower divisions and find them far more entertaining. As for today's game, it might not of had quality oozing out of it, but from a Rangers point of view, it had everything and what a goal from Rabi. :okay:

Top Bottom