The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
The second pitch inspection has deemed the surface unplayable so it's off. An absolute farce.

Motherwell were fined £50,000 for the state of their pitch, but a lot of that was because of the damage there was because of the groundshare with Gretna.

It is a farce.

As I said, I've no interest in seeing Dundee fined, but we need something to incentify them to maintain their pitch.

AndyRM

XOXO
It is a farce.

As I said, I've no interest in seeing Dundee fined, but we need something to incentify them to maintain their pitch.

As I understand it, they've spent the money which should have been used on the pitch on their playing budget. But if you've got an unplayable pitch then what's the point?

AndyRM

XOXO
If that's true, I think they should be fined.

Their latest accounts show an operating loss of nearly £3 million last season and their player costs have gone from 65% of their turnover to nearer 95%.

I don't really understand how because I can't think of the last time they paid for a player, or sold one for any sort of money. There's definitely something dodgy going on though.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It is a farce.

It has been raining a heck of lot, what have they not done that they should have been?

AndyRM

XOXO
It has been raining a heck of lot, what have they not done that they should have been?

Maintaining their drainage system. Dundee United haven't had any postponements this season and their grounds are yards apart.

If it doesn't get played soon there'll be a knock on effect for the league. At this point it's between Dundee, Hibs and Motherwell for the final top six spot, with Dundee in arguably the strongest position, especially if they were to get anything out of this game against Rangers.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
its not as though they are loads of games behind, its just this one game. I know saturday was a bit on off but it got played in the end.

sound like Rangers just winging a bit to me.

It's not just in scotland.Colchester united in Division two of the EFL have had quite a few games postponed because of a waterlogged pitch and there stadium isn't very old.
Yes these clubs need to sort it out but teams in the lower leagues are probably struggling financially and new drainage systems aren't cheap.

albion

Guru
The Riverside at Chester-le-Street stayed waterlogged the whole week of play.
Lots of sunshine too.

AndyRM

XOXO
its not as though they are loads of games behind, its just this one game. I know saturday was a bit on off but it got played in the end.

sound like Rangers just winging a bit to me.

It's the second time this game's been postponed, and the fifth postponement at Dens Park this season, including one (possibly more) which was called off on a day when no other senior games in the UK were postponed. Other clubs in Dundee haven't had nearly as many issues and the club has blamed referees, the weather and TV scheduling rather than themselves for their woes. They even sacked their groundstaff recently, but that hasn't solved the problem. There's only so much you can do with bags of sand and a fork from B&Q.

Totally self inflicted and whilst I'm normally sympathetic to the plights of smaller clubs, this was avoidable so whatever punishment is coming their way is totally deserved.

And yes, it is just one game, but as I said it has the potential to delay the announcement of the post split fixtures so there could be a knock on effect for the league.

Motherwell's £50k fine is a benchmark of sorts, but due to their mitigating circumstances they only had to pay £5k of that. I can't see Dundee getting away with a very lightly slapped wrist for this.

Pre installation of Killie's artificial surface, we had a few issues with the pitch freezing because local residents complained about the noise from the under-soil heating. I can't remember what the punishment was, but it's not like Rugby Park just sprung up over-night: if you don't like the noise/traffic associated with a football stadium, don't buy a house next to one!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
As I understand it, they've spent the money which should have been used on the pitch on their playing budget. But if you've got an unplayable pitch then what's the point?

No, that's what the Glasgow media would have you believe. Truth is, nobody knows how much has been spent on the pitch versus the squad. Hopefully The The Rangers get fined for their laughable, libellous statement.

AndyRM

XOXO
No, that's what the Glasgow media would have you believe. Truth is, nobody knows how much has been spent on the pitch versus the squad. Hopefully The The Rangers get fined for their laughable, libellous statement.

I'm not going off the Glasgow Media though. Fair enough it's a rumour, but from what I've heard from people who're more clued up about the club it's pretty accurate.

AndyRM

XOXO

Yep, so? It's not like they're playing out of the kindness of their hearts... They've a good few players of their own out on loan too, and weren't afraid to spend money on players at the start of the season.

Maybe their logic is that they're only renting Dens Park so don't see why they should bother investing in a playable surface.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
There's a burn runs down the length of Dens Rd underground apparently. When it's full, there's nowhere for the pitch to drain to. Climate change is bringing more storms, more rainfall and the burn can't cope.

Of course, they could always put in a plastic pitch 🙄

Top Bottom