The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
On yesterday's showing, Man U make ominous viewing for any other 'contenders'. They looked just like Chelsea last season after they reorganised themselves post-Arsenal-drubbing: precise, powerful, unplayable. If I was a betting man I'd put money on them for the title. After one game? Yes, after one game - that game. (I'm not a fan, BTW...rather the opposite, if anything.)
Beating West Ham does not qualify you as a title contender. Playing well against West Ham does not qualify you as a title contender. Tearing West Ham to shreds does not qualify you as a title contender.

FACT.

Slick

Guru

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Oh, one of them

image.gif.20660a67a6434d1d6aaa8e86870dccd6.gif

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Agreed.

Despite losing Lejeune and Dummet early doors, Newcastle were well in the game.

Kane should have been off too.

Without a doubt - we can argue about whether or not Cahill should've had a red but Kane's was clear cut and should definitely have been a red.

I too thought Newcastle were well in the game until their sending off. My Spuds supporting Son-in-Law phoned during the match and said they (Spuds) were absolutely shocking and were lucky to be ahead.

SpokeyDokey

On yesterday's showing, Man U make ominous viewing for any other 'contenders'. They looked just like Chelsea last season after they reorganised themselves post-Arsenal-drubbing: precise, powerful, unplayable. If I was a betting man I'd put money on them for the title. After one game? Yes, after one game - that game. (I'm not a fan, BTW...rather the opposite, if anything.)

For balance, from what I've seen WHUFC played poorly.

SpokeyDokey

At last - a bit of balance and sanity from the hysterical sporting press (source: The Times):

Crisis? Show Chelsea some respect

So apparently there's a "crisis" at Chelsea who are 90 (albeit disappointing) minutes into the defence of their title, who boast the footballer of the year, manager of the year and four members of the team of the year, who have invested £60 million in one of the best centre forwards in the world and who have a ludicrously wealthy owner who may soon bankroll more signings. They showed plenty of spirit when reduced to nine men against Burnley, almost recording a momentous fightback. They have Eden Hazard to come back and TiéMourinhoé Bakayoko to come in. They have the clinical lvaro Morata still to start a game and he is an upgrade on the disruptive, departing Diego Costa.

Things are undeniably tense at Chelsea, and matters could worsen at Wembley against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, but crisis? Blackpool and Blackburn Rovers fans would love that sort of crisis. So some perspective is required. Chelsea are partly victims of the media cycle, hunting lows after a high, the process accelerated by social media, that digital den of iniquity, invective and impatience. If Arsenal had lost to Leicester City on Friday, the frothing focus would have been less on Chelsea. Antonio Conte's team have issues but the doom-mongers have kicked in early. What the champions need is a bit more public defiance from Conte, and a bit less negativity in his declarations and body language. What Chelsea need is a tweaking of the internal dynamic to ensure that exceptional youth players are promoted and assimilated, even if points are risked. What they need is some composure among the players, avoiding stupid challenges and sarcasm towards officials. What they need is the wonderful Morata starting. But crisis? Hardly. The champions deserve a bit more respect.

We definitely look light on the squad front so, depending on last minute signings, it may or may not be a tough season ahead. Top 3 and a good run in the CL will do me.

AndyRM

XOXO
Without a doubt - we can argue about whether or not Cahill should've had a red but Kane's was clear cut and should definitely have been a red.

I too thought Newcastle were well in the game until their sending off. My Spuds supporting Son-in-Law phoned during the match and said they (Spuds) were absolutely shocking and were lucky to be ahead.

I know hindsight is a helluva thing, but this is pretty damning:

2017-08-13spurs-h2-s.jpg

Weirdly, a Toon supporting friend claims that nobody would be talking about Kane's challenge if Shelvey hadn't been sent off. Don't understand his stance on that one.

SpokeyDokey

I know hindsight is a helluva thing, but this is pretty damning:

View attachment 368143

Weirdly, a Toon supporting friend claims that nobody would be talking about Kane's challenge if Shelvey hadn't been sent off. Don't understand his stance on that one.

Hope Kane hurt his nuts with that one - how that is not a red is beyond me.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Just to out myself as an old fogey (and not responding to anything particular above), someone needs to tell the young 'uns that football did not begin with the introduction of the Premier League.

I am currently watching a 40 year old edition of "The Big Match". Among other games, the main feature match that has just finished was a 2nd Division match from 1977 between Fulham and Charlton Athletic. Remember when they used to mix some big matches from lower leagues into the highlights shows? (For real football fans who understood their significance). Nowadays if you are not in the Prem you get sidelined to a separate show, never to taint the sacred franchise.

In the Fulham team that day were, among others, Bobby Moore, Rodney Marsh, and a certain George Best. Very muddy pitch and it was said that neither team was near their best, but I found it surprisingly watchable - even without a back-pass rule or a bus full of substitutes. End of match interviews featured moustachioed, sheepskin-coated players saying things like "The lads worked very, very hard and we realise we've got to work very hard to get out of it". Makes you all misty-eyed with nostalgia.

Top Bottom