The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You've never won the European Cup. EVER. If I were you, and thank the vicissitudes of great good fortune I'm not, I wouldn't be crowing about anything.

Err... projection much?

I've not been crowing about anything.

You, on the other hand, are crowing despite having not won a domestic trophy for eight years, which is quite something to behold.

Just enjoy watching your team, you've much to savour this season. Me too - City were brilliant last night, third in the league and still in all the cups is a great place to be.

We can have the debate on the best evah once this Liverpool team has some actual domestic trophies in the cabinet, and City have a CL or two. Until then, there are past teams with (much) greater claims.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If last year's performance is the benchmark, City are the better side.

To be clear, Liverpool are better this year, and have done incredibly in the league. The table doesn't lie.

But until they match the awesome record of this City side over the last two years, no one can seriously claim they're the best domestic side evah.

And pool aren't going to claim that domestic treble this year.

Come back in two years time, if they've actually won a few trophies.
Mark Twain's line about 'lies, damned lies and statistics' comes to mind. Where were City in the eighties and nineties, when first Liverpool then Utd were in their pomp, and more successful, season after season, than City have been to date? Winning nothing and getting relegated down to Division Two, for a start. They've got a lot of catching up to do filling that trophy cabinet. Given recent history, with no team able to establish the same level of sustained dominance as twenty or thirty years ago, it will be some time. It will take an extraordinary collapse by Liverpool, and a significant improvement in their own performances, to retain the title again. They've yet to deliver in Europe (though they do have a European title, only fifty years ago....). Yes, it could be their year to finally lift the European Cup (in any of its various names), it remains to be seen…

I'm not entirely sure how any team, regardless of resources, could have fielded a full strength side in the League Cup and the Club World Championship, less than 24 hours apart on two different continents, without the aid of a time machine. City would have preferred they had that dilemma, not Liverpool. The record points total, as impressive as it was, in no small part due to the weakness of the principal opposition. 19 points over second place, 25 over fourth. The title defence was a greater achievement, because they were pushed all the way. One draw or defeat in those last fourteen games and the title was going elsewhere. And even then, there was a bit of a gap between those two and the rest…

Oh yes, on the FA Cup.... Come back when you've held it for seven years like Pompey did ;)

Pompey, as it happens, are still working on a successful defence of a domestic title- the EFL Trophy- and in contention for another (League One, to go with the League Two title of 2017). This makes us more successful than Liverpool, domestically. Yeah right, I think I'd rather have the CL win, Club World Championship, and two European runner-up medals to appreciate. But each to their own…

StuAff

I was replying to a poster claiming the current liverpool team are the greatest domestic side evah.

What this has to do with the eighties, I'll leave to you.
As my post clearly stated, suggesting that City are a greater side on domestic results is clearly a short-sighted and selective perspective. They might well win the FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League this year (and anyone who thinks that the latter isn't the priority, even before the Premier League results started going the wrong way, has even worse sight). If one picks one team's performance over one season, LFC might indeed be 'the greatest domestic side ever' come May. City could say that about the previous two seasons, and if they win those three titles this year, they still will. Pep's insistence, as understandable as it is, about counting the Community Shield as a trophy win does suggest a certain insecurity, though… I think they'd rather have another CL than another FA Cup win at Anfield, and City have never won the biggest European trophy of all. For chairmen and owners across Europe, the CL is the trophy they really really want, like it or not. Sheik Mansour is no exception. The Energy Drink Cup is a sideshow for most Premier League teams, most of the time. Ditto, sadly, the FA Cup, and that certainly should not be. Qualifying fourth or better, or one of those titles? No contest, as far as the chairmen are concerned.

However....multiple title & cup wins over several seasons with the same core of players? Nope, City can't claim that, nor the current Liverpool side. The Liverpool of the late eighties/early nineties? Man U in the Class of 92 era? Those are the gold standard of recent(ish) times in English football. These two current sides have a way to go, and, frankly, are unlikely to match those runs. If either do, fair enough…

Last edited:

StuAff

Another Pompey win, Southampton manage to get their season aggregate score against Leicester down to -8, and Liverpool set new records for the best ever start to a PL season (yes, better than City's centurions), first team in any of the top European leagues to win 20/21, and for their longest-ever unbeaten run. And a mere sixteen points in front, with a game in hand, over Leicester, and seventeen points ahead of City.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Err... projection much?

I've not been crowing about anything.

You, on the other hand, are crowing despite having not won a domestic trophy for eight years, which is quite something to behold.

Just enjoy watching your team, you've much to savour this season. Me too - City were brilliant last night, third in the league and still in all the cups is a great place to be.

We can have the debate on the best evah once this Liverpool team has some actual domestic trophies in the cabinet, and City have a CL or two. Until then, there are past teams with (much) greater claims.
I think that argument of yours is over after last night so stop hurting yourself. And where've you got this 'evah' nonsense from?

Mike_P

Guru
A goal at Meadow Lane yesterday which if it had been a Premiership match rather than a lower than lower game (FA Trophy) featuring the now former worlds oldest football league club would be making the sports news this morning

View: https://twitter.com/Official_NCFC/status/1216057198662627330
Was the last kick of the game - Notts 2 Dagenham 1

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You haven't gone to watch Manchester City who are playing right now? I'll leave you to your 'support'.

Another change of subject? And another bizarre obe too. Okay, here goes down your latest blind alley...

If only people who attend every away game are supporters then there are very, very few supporters in the world.

StuAff

Jonathan Llew of the Observer on Mourinho and Tottenham:
"Mourinho has had some past success in nullifying the threat of Salah. Alas, leaving him on the bench at Stamford Bridge for a year and then sending him on loan to Fiorentina is no longer a viable option."
:smile:

Top Bottom