The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Football has got this terribly wrong right now.

Other sports have accepted the inevitable and cancelled iconic events.
It’s a lot easier to cancel something that hadn’t started.
I don’t think anyone will worry about the cup competitions being cancelled but I can see why the leagues which are 3/4 complete are very tricky to deal with.
Especially if they have to repay £700million to Sky.

Mike_P

Guru
How long a lockdown before a Premiership club goes bust I wonder. All the millionaires that need paying and very limited income.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
How long a lockdown before a Premiership club goes bust I wonder. All the millionaires that need paying and very limited income.
The income from gate receipts don't amount to much of a Premier clubs earnings. They all had only four or five paydays (Home sides keep the gate money) left in the season anyway.

Now what would cause problems are the sponsors pulling the plug, particularly Sky and BT. However*, the business model of both those TV providers would collapse without football, so both will do everything they can to help the game through this crisis. Writing the rest of the season off would not be a problem.

*Whoever said not to start a sentence with "However" got it badly wrong. It works for me.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
tick tock

Genuine question for you, what does tick tock mean when it's said in a football thread like this? I see a lot of football fans use the phrase, usually there's no common context to give a clue. Someone might be discussing James Milner's twitter feed, or another will be questioning Alex Ferguson's role as a club ambassador, and someone will simply say "tick tock". It's always confused me.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sir Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish has been released from hospital to recuperate at home.

AndyRM

XOXO
I was too young for Italia 90, so I've never witnessed Gazza's tears against West Germany in any format other than clip shows.

The game is being shown on the BBC Website, Red Button and iPlayer at 3pm today. Looking forward to it!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I was too young for Italia 90, so I've never witnessed Gazza's tears against West Germany in any format other than clip shows.

The game is being shown on the BBC Website, Red Button and iPlayer at 3pm today. Looking forward to it!

I watched that at 4am or something in a backpackers hostel in Australia!

Missed it now, out cycling, but might watch later with kids if it's on catchup and I can persuade them.

PaulB

Legendary Member
One of my heroes and the first player I ever met.
A superb player in his day.
Very sad news.
The first game my dad ever took me on the Kop was against Chelsea on a freezing cold Boxing Day and for half of it, we were right behind him. Our fans liked a goalie and he was very highly respected and even some of his more acrobatic saves were met with honest applause from our masses.

AndyRM

XOXO
I watched that at 4am or something in a backpackers hostel in Australia!

Missed it now, out cycling, but might watch later with kids if it's on catchup and I can persuade them.

I think it is going to be on iPlayer. Very entertaining game of football, open and end to end with the ref actually letting the game flow.

The Crisp Botherer goes down awfully easily!

Top Bottom