The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just heard Alan Shearer on MOTD say Harry Kane will have to think about his future,with Spurs not qualifying for the champions league. I take it he meant that he has to better himself club wise. This from someone who was quite happy to spend most of his career at mediocre Newcastle.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Stephenite

Membå
Just heard Alan Shearer on MOTD say Harry Kane will have to think about his future,with Spurs not going to be in the champions league. I take it he meant that he has to better himself club wise. This from someone who was quite happy to spend most of his career at mediocre Newcastle.:rolleyes:
That's a good point Accy. Shearer played for Southampton, Blackburn and the tykes. He's a bit of a gobshite.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That's a good point Accy. Shearer played for Southampton, Blackburn and the tykes. He's a bit of a gobshite.

When he decided to leave Blackburn it was reported he wanted to go to Man Utd,but Rovers chairman Jack Walker wouldn't sell him to their at the time main rivals(heck,that seems a long time ago!) Shearer's denied this and said over the years that he didn't want go to Man Utd as he wanted to win things with 'sleeping giants':rolleyes: Newcastle. Call Wayne Rooney,but at least he sussed that you sign for (or re-sign for in his case) your mediocre 'boyhood club' at the end of your career,not at the height of it! Rooney won umpteen gongs,Shearer won one(not at Newcastle unsurprisingly:rolleyes:),but at the club 5 miles from where i'm posting this message.:okay:

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
When he decided to leave Blackburn it was reported he wanted to go to Man Utd,but Rovers chairman Jack Walker wouldn't sell him to their at the time main rivals(heck,that seems a long time ago!) Shearer's denied this and said over the years that he didn't want go to Man Utd as he wanted to win things with 'sleeping giants':rolleyes: Newcastle. Call Wayne Rooney,but at least he sussed that you sign for (or re-sign for in his case) your mediocre 'boyhood club' at the end of your career,not at the height of it! Rooney won umpteen gongs,Shearer won one(not at Newcastle unsurprisingly:rolleyes:),but at the club 5 miles from where i'm posting this message.:okay:
Didn't Shearer win the golden boot when he won the premiership with Blackburn?

Mike_P

Guru
Has not the view of the European competitions changed, it use to be seen just as a bonus (or a pain) but now is a fundamental part of many clubs business model and hence a disaster with players equally now obsessed with playing in them.

Slick

Guru
Has not the view of the European competitions changed, it use to be seen just as a bonus (or a pain) but now is a fundamental part of many clubs business model and hence a disaster with players equally now obsessed with playing in them.
It's a money thing for the clubs (although that's a vicious circle) and probably some players as well as the prestige that goes with it. It's also important at attracting the right players to your club ad the top stars want to play in the champions league.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Money. That's what its all about. European competitions enable the richest and most powerful clubs to get even richer and more powerful. Sod everybody else. Nobody outside the Premiership has much interest in European competitions because there's nothing in it for them.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
btw remember when Arsene Wenger got so much stick for his comment about a top 4 place being almost as good as a trophy? Well look at those same people now. You would think getting into Europe was a matter of life or death!

MarkF

Guru
btw remember when Arsene Wenger got so much stick for his comment about a top 4 place being almost as good as a trophy? Well look at those same people now. You would think getting into Europe was a matter of life or death!

Yes, I think he was doing as well as he could (under constraints) and that was good. The abuse he suffered at the end must have been so painful, I contrast his exit with Forest and Clough, wow!

MarkF

Guru
33 and gets around without a Zimmer frame! The wonders of modern science, eh?
There is a picture of him on holiday in a paper today, I had a midfield partner built like that, well into his 40's he had the body of a 21 year old. Vardy could play at 40 maybe in the Championship.

Top Bottom