The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Sky Sports are reporting that Aubameyang is about to sign a contract extension and the Gunners have almost got Willian on a free as well. Can't be bad.

On the downside Arsenal are having to let 55 non playing staff go. :sad:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sky Sports are reporting that Aubameyang is about to sign a contract extension and the Gunners have almost got Willian on a free as well. Can't be bad.

On the downside Arsenal are having to let 55 non playing staff go. :sad:
Most on five figure salaries which could be paid if two players gave a up a weeks wages. Nowhere is the imbalance in wealth more starkly illustrated than at Premier League football clubs.

Last edited:

PaulB

Legendary Member

Jurgen Klopp.

What's that got to do with anything, I hear you ask? It was Jurgen Klopp who made Aubameyang the player he is. He bought him from St. Etienne while manager of Borussia Dortmund and turned him into his team's leading goalscorer.

Isn't Jurgen Klopp ace?

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Jurgen Klopp.

What's that got to do with anything, I hear you ask? It was Jurgen Klopp who made Aubameyang the player he is. He bought him from St. Etienne while manager of Borussia Dortmund and turned him into his team's leading goalscorer.

Isn't Jurgen Klopp ace?
The short answer to that is yes! 😊

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
One good piece of news on the football front today, they're scrapping the five substitutions farce! Water breaks have got to stop. Can you imagine water breaks in the freezing sleet of a Wednesday night in January? While we're on a roll, the death of football otherwise known as VAR has to be consigned to the dustbin of stupid ideas as well.

VAR is abysmal, you think your side has scored, the fans are celebrating and then the dreaded purple screen appears and you wait an internimable 3 minutes whilst some faceless official makes a decision that one of your teams big toe was offside. I would rather go back to to the ref making the odd bad decision and returning the game to flowing more freely.

The five sustitutions rule suited the teams with world class players as bench warmers.

Last edited:

PaulB

Legendary Member
VAR is abysmal, you think your side has scored, the fans are celebrating and then the dreaded purple screen appears and you wait an internimable 3 minutes whilst some faceless official makes a decision that one of your teams big toe was offside. I would rather go back to to the ref amking the odd bad decision and returning to the game flowing more freely.

The five sustitutions rule suited the teams with world class players as bench warmers.
There's not one person who sits around me in the Kop who likes VAR even if the ruling goes in our favour. One game in which Wolves 'scored' was held up while the interminable forensic investigation went ahead and nearly everyone agreed, we'd rather it was a goal against us WITHOUT VAR than a goal denied against us WITH VAR. But we're discerning football aficionados in our enclosure. Those in the Moan Stand of course don't really know what day it is so are happy to await the decision and politely applaud if it's in our favour and scream the shed down if it's against us.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
There's not one person who sits around me in the Kop who likes VAR even if the ruling goes in our favour. One game in which Wolves 'scored' was held up while the interminable forensic investigation went ahead and nearly everyone agreed, we'd rather it was a goal against us WITHOUT VAR than a goal denied against us WITH VAR. But we're discerning football aficionados in our enclosure. Those in the Moan Stand of course don't really know what day it is so are happy to await the decision and politely applaud if it's in our favour and scream the shed down if it's against us.

Ha ha, its pretty similar at Villa Park, the vocal opinionated football fans are in the Holte End and the North Stand especially near the away supporters, as opposed to the Doug Ellis stand, where its the polite applause when we score and then bugger off when we are getting pasted half an hour before the end i.e. Aston Villa 1 - 6 Man City .

The game against Liverpool at Villa Park was a great game we came within four minutes of beating you, but Liverpool never gave up, Andrew Robertson scored at 86 minutes, then Saudio Mane broke our hearts with a goal at 93 minutes. I remember remarking to my mate next to me that Liverpool would win the Premier League this season.

UTV

AndyRM

XOXO
So Eddie Howe has left the building.
Sad really but expected.
Question is how do they replace him?
I read the ground only holds 11,000 so how can they attract or afford good players?

They have a rather wealthy owner...

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Most on five figure salaries which could be paid if two players gave a up a weeks wages. Nowhere is the imbalance in wealth more starkly illustrated than at Premier League football clubs.
Why should players give up their contracted wages to pay staff????

would you do that if your company was laying staff off???

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You've gone beyond parody here.
It’s a simple question really.......how far do we go?..

should doctors give up some of their pay rises, so nurses can have some??? Do teachers give up some of their so their teaching assistants can have some???
Should MPs give up their wages for the whole country to get a pay rise???
why target footballers just cause they have high paying contracts???

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Scottish football put on a yellow card from our first minister after 8 idiots in Aberdeen decided to go out drinking in a city centre bar and get caught up in a covid spike of over 170 cases and over 800 people self isolating, 2 of them caught the disease. Bad enough you would think and enough for everyone else to take it as a warning, especially as football all over the UK is fragile but especially in Scotland as we are so reliant on matchday revenue, but no. One total loon, flies to Spain without informing his club, flies back ignoring the quarantine rules and then takes part in a match that not only his own team at risk but that of another.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53741061

I can't blame her for threatening to close football down in Scotland but she needs to know that some clubs wouldn't open again.

vickster

Legendary Member
In lots of private sector businesses, the highest earners have taken a pay cut (10-20% reduction for senior management team at the one I’m currently working at) while company income was down due to Covid. This so the lower earners didn’t need to and to protect jobs.
The players and manager will be by the far the highest paid staff at most clubs so why should they not do the same to support the colleagues who earn what is likely a fraction of what they earn (say 25k vs 2.5m...or 10m)

Top Bottom