The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
At last!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Liverpool Echo (I'll hazard a guess and say they might have a scooby) reckon he is 'not currently an active target'. Bayern want €30m when he's out of contract at the end of the season. Either not going to Anfield at all, going on a free, or a significantly reduced fee. He'd be a (very handy) squad player, not a first-team starter. Aouar of Lyon might be a more likely target after last night…
Well, they've just bought Alcantara…

Kempstonian

Clubs like this could be saved if the big spending Premiership clubs had to py a percentage into a fund to keep small clubs afloat. Come to that why don't they donate £50,000 each and clear this debt. After all its the small clubs who give promising footballers their first rung on the ladder. Many top stars started out at clubs like Macclesfield.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Clubs like this could be saved if the big spending Premiership clubs had to py a percentage into a fund to keep small clubs afloat. Come to that why don't they donate £50,000 each and clear this debt. After all its the small clubs who give promising footballers their first rung on the ladder. Many top stars started out at clubs like Macclesfield.
Why should profitable and successful businesses have to give money to help those badly run clubs who have P'd money up the wall because they were badly run? Football clubs are very easy to manage financially - they know next seasons sponsorship income to the penny and crowd sizes are predictable and never alter overnight so they can near as dammit estimate gate income. Any club that spends more than they earn gambling on success has only themselves to blame if it goes tits up.

Kempstonian

Why should profitable and successful businesses have to give money to help those badly run clubs who have P'd money up the wall because they were badly run? Football clubs are very easy to manage financially - they know next seasons sponsorship income to the penny and crowd sizes are predictable and never alter overnight so they can near as dammit estimate gate income. Any club that spends more than they earn gambling on success has only themselves to blame if it goes tits up.
Yeah, let's let all the small clubs go to the wall then eh? When that happens, what chance has a youngster got of becoming a professional footballer? They can't all get into top clubs' academies. Some are late developers and those will never make it without small clubs taking them on. There are a lot of clubs in trouble right now and its not because of bad management. This virus is killing more than people.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Clubs that go to the wall because of the virus I have sympathy for, and there will be some who do. But virtually every club in the Football League runs at a loss and have done for years and that is nothing to do with any virus. Spend more than you earn if you want, but don't complain if the success you gambled on doesn't come and all you are left with is an unsustainable debt.

One thing about football is the sheer number of clubs - lose one from League 2 and a club from the National League will take it's place, their place being filled in turn from the league below. And that runs a hell of a long way further down.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Bale on loan to Spurs.
OK I can see good logic** in that BUT.....
he will stay on £600K per week with his parent club paying 50% of that :wacko:
** of course, if this virus continues long term and they don't have the fans money coming in then it could be a very expensive error of judgement.

Dave7

Legendary Member
And now Lpool have agreed £40Mish for Jota from Wolves.
I can think of other players I prefer for that money but Herr Klopp appears to be a big fan.
We seem to be top heavy but still imo in need of another strong defender.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
And now Lpool have agreed £40Mish for Jota from Wolves.
I can think of other players I prefer for that money but Herr Klopp appears to be a big fan.
We seem to be top heavy but still imo in need of another strong defender.
23yrs old, 44 goals in 130+ games, has plenty of pace, will put pressure on the front 3 and be good for cup games and add squad depth...what’s not to like??? And who else fits the bill??

Dave7

Legendary Member
23yrs old, 44 goals in 130+ games, has plenty of pace, will put pressure on the front 3 and be good for cup games and add squad depth...what’s not to like??? And who else fits the bill??
Was really thinking of a big strong defender.
Reports now are that they are after a defender anyway......in which case I forgive JK.

Top Bottom