The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JBGooner

Über Member
My answer is Yes/No!

England fans have been asking why we're so rubbish for as long as I can remember. Including before the Premier League. Some fans expect us to replicate '66 glory year-in year-out, most of us are more realistic and see a lot of strong football nations on the planet, that usually beat us, but not always (we have beaten every top nation on a good day).
I don't think players on £20mill/year play any better than those on £1mill/year, so being "wealthier" than Italy/Germany etc probably helps not one bit.
There are other more subtle factors at play, and perhaps Southgate has answered a few of them during his regime. perhaps not ...

I think it fair to say that England are the biggest underachievers in European, indeed probably world football.
Before Sunday it was what one final in thirty-odd attempts?
Considering how popular the game is here (compared to say, France) and how often English clubs have taken home European trophies (second only to Spanish clubs) and the number of really good footballers there's been over the years, there is definitely a touch of the bizarre at how England could have underachieved for so long.

On the positive side Spain would have to have been considered the biggest underachievers in world football until 2008.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I disagree - it is gesture politics and even some players like Zaha have stopped taking the knee.

Its doing something for the sake of it - imagine being a (white) player and not wanting to take the knee, everyone would brand you racist, so you go along with it. It is achieving nothing.

If clubs and players are serious about then do something that will have an impact - come of social media for example. Not for 4 days as they did but until these companies insist on proof of ID when opening an account. If the likes of Mings etc... did that I can see that having a much bigger impact - it will either cut down on abuse OR make it easy to bring these people to justice.
politics is that way 👉

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Genius

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-england-euro-2020-final-defeat-against-italy

1626178444810.png

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I think it fair to say that England are the biggest underachievers in European, indeed probably world football.
Before Sunday it was what one final in thirty-odd attempts?
Considering how popular the game is here (compared to say, France) and how often English clubs have taken home European trophies (second only to Spanish clubs) and the number of really good footballers there's been over the years, there is definitely a touch of the bizarre at how England could have underachieved for so long.

On the positive side Spain would have to have been considered the biggest underachievers in world football until 2008.
I’d agree , they have under achieved had some great sides. I think their best ever side was Italia 90 IMO, but came up against one of the great German sides !
Spain reinvented themselves and style of play and nobody had answer back then. However teams cottoned onto the style and came up with a game plan for that.

Brazil again another side whom underachieve or is it just they expect to win the WC because of their history?!

Next World Cup will be interesting too see where England are. How will they fair against the South American sides.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Great underachievers, I agree, but why is this ?
My view is the pressure and public scrutiny on England is 'over the top' and counter productive.
This has been the case for many years now and as they continue to underachieve the pressure increases and they play with fear.
I think everyone agrees, top level sport is not just at a physical level but is 'played in the head' (5 out of 10 missed penalties on sunday ! )
Football's hierarchy certainly contribute hugely to this fear of failure with pressure on managers to win or be sacked. England
managers are inevitably under pressure to 'win at all costs' with stultifying effects on many players who never reproduce their
club football form at international level.
What's the answer ? Lord knows, maybe tell the players the result doesn't matter but the performance does. Play with a smile on your face.
Something needs to change.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Lord knows, maybe tell the players the result doesn't matter but the performance does. Play with a smile on your face.
Something needs to change.

Isn't this exactly what Southgate has achieved?

Seems that way to me, anyway.

Fantasy premier league is back for this season.
Last season we has about six teams in the Cycle Chat league so lets hope we can better that this season?
The basic rules are that you pick fifteen players(including subs) with one hundred million pounds and then every gameweek you can use your subs or transfer in/out players.
Once you get used to it it's quite easy to play and a bit of fun.
If you are interested just go to https://fantasy.premierleague.com pick your team and the join the Cycle Chat league by inputting the code qa6bnz.

gavgav

Guru
Fantasy premier league is back for this season.
Last season we has about six teams in the Cycle Chat league so lets hope we can better that this season?
The basic rules are that you pick fifteen players(including subs) with one hundred million pounds and then every gameweek you can use your subs or transfer in/out players.
Once you get used to it it's quite easy to play and a bit of fun.
If you are interested just go to https://fantasy.premierleague.com pick your team and the join the Cycle Chat league by inputting the code qa6bnz.
I’m in

Top Bottom