FNRttC The Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 27th August 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
(marks card...)

Eeek. I thought he was still on holiday and I'd get away with that that one.

:unsure:

6a00d8341c51c053ef00e54f718d648833-800wi.jpg

We spent much of our time looking after Rebecca (I think?), who was struggling somewhat, particularly on the climbs (a combination of lack of experience, lack of low gearing, and her energy levels- she had the same problem as us regarding food). It wasn't really surprising when she decided to bail, but I hope we'll see her back.

Hi everybody!

Big 'Thank you' to Stu and Matthew and a chap on a fixie whose name I didn't catch (who'd done Cycle Oregon), who kept me going between Gravesend and Rochester.

Stu hit the nail on the head about the problems I had. Plus the fact that my new Brooks saddle morphed into an instrument of torture at some point after Rochester. :sad:

My new bike should arrive in the next week so, all being well, will have 18 (count them! woohoo!) gears on the Southend run. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

Hi everybody!

Big 'Thank you' to Stu and Matthew and a chap on a fixie whose name I didn't catch (who'd done Cycle Oregon), who kept me going between Gravesend and Rochester.

Stu hit the nail on the head about the problems I had. Plus the fact that my new Brooks saddle morphed into an instrument of torture at some point after Rochester. :sad:

My new bike should arrive in the next week so, all being well, will have 18 (count them! woohoo!) gears on the Southend run. :thumbsup: :biggrin:

Hello Rebecca - the other guy is evryone's favourite fixie rider, Des O' - on this forum. He is a good companion rider, and a good example of a considerate rider - always.
Southend has eerie noises - and a hippy café owner! :smile:

gbs

Guru
Possibly the last contibution from me to this thread is re the spectacular blowout at GKW - Graveney/Yorkletts region.
  1. is such a bang normal?
  2. the tape offered by me, and possibly two others, failed to stick to the inside of the tyre. What sticky tape might have helped the preparation of the boot?

Possibly the last contibution from me to this thread is re the spectacular blowout at GKW - Graveney/Yorkletts region.
  1. is such a bang normal?
  2. the tape offered by me, and possibly two others, failed to stick to the inside of the tyre. What sticky tape might have helped the preparation of the boot?

Yes - at 8 bar, a bang is good!
Thorough cleaning/drying, and the residual congealed milk (the secret is in the casein) on the inside of the Carnation 'squeezy' plastic usually keeps it in place* Geoffrey, alternatively, a decent high contact adhesive patch that will hold the tyre edges 'together' is a commercially available product. (Nothing would have worked on Thom's naff old tyres anyway :rofl: - only joking Thom).
Otherwise, carry around a lump of tyre in the back pocket - insert where needed etc...

*Adrian to confirm later... ;)

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
the tape offered by me, and possibly two others, failed to stick to the inside of the tyre. What sticky tape might have helped the preparation of the boot?
Supposedly a one dollar note repairs any tyre (I've never tried that, but a fellow biker told me once). Otherwise a REAL patch (not those instant ones) should do the trick.

Andrij

Über Member
Supposedly a one dollar note repairs any tyre (I've never tried that, but a fellow biker told me once). Otherwise a REAL patch (not those instant ones) should do the trick.

Having 'connections' across the pond, I have ready access to $1.00 notes. I will gladly supply this forum with all the notes they want, and at the simple exchange rate of $1 to £1. :angel:

Always willing to help my fellow cyclists. :smile:

Andrij

Über Member
O/T, but somewhere I've got a fake 3 dollar note printed at the time of Clinton. It may have had something rather rude on it, instead of a picture of Washington.

I do recall talk at the time of changing the national symbol from the bald eagle to the spread-eagle. :biggrin:

TimO

Guru
I just remembered talking to a few people about the very bright "star" that was visible for quite a bit of the night.

It seems very likely that, as I suggested, it was Jupiter which is apparently exceptionally bright at the moment.

Patrick Moore and some of his guests are talking about it extensively on the current Sky At Night (BBC iPlayer).

Eurygnomes

Another wonderful sounding ride - especially with all the mention of cheese and chocolate (barring the prefixing and suffixing weirdness!).

Sorry to have missed this one too.

Currently pootling around town on a very gratefully borrowed Discovery Dawes 501 from our white-jeans wearing leader (he was wearing them again on Sunday when we did the handover at Look Ma!!!!). Not sure it's up for a FNer, but.

Look after yourselves! See you soon(ish).

X

Top Bottom