The Fridays Tour 2013 with added poll

well, what do you think?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Every département (all 80-something) has a D1. Most of them are tiny lanes between obscure villages.

One other thought about Normandy - there are ferry services from a couple of ports to Guernsey.
woah, mind blown! Considering the number of roads in France mind you I suppose it stops the road numbering system going up to 6 figures...

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
and to Jersey - but they are thirty euros and up!
http://www.manche-iles-express.com/

Was about to ask about Jersey...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
slightly fatter tyres, by which I mean 28's and up, open up the extensive greenway network of cycle paths/routes. irrc there is a 40 mile former railway line running from Cherbourg down which one can cycle very very fast.

U

User482

slightly fatter tyres, by which I mean 28's and up, open up the extensive greenway network of cycle paths/routes. irrc there is a 40 mile former railway line running from Cherbourg down which one can cycle very very fast.

They vary. A voie verte in Brittany described by the tourist office as "parfait pour le bebe" was in fact a steep, narrow, muddy track. I just about managed with 1.5" tyres on my MTB.

Edited to add: the best thing to do is get an IGN 1:25000 map for the area - the key gives a good guide to the condition and width of paths and tracks marked on it. Using it, I was even able to get a baby trailer along a GR route with no bother, which is supposedly just a footpath.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Having sailed around the coast and visited for a number of years the area has my 'thumbs' up and is a total delight to explore and not to mention those French markets! I do have point out the area is prone to rain so we will feel totally at home!!!!!!!!!

For those who would need alcohol for fortification then we could compare and contrast the merits of Calvados and share our daily discovery of locally produced Cidre.

For those who need to explore the past then we have the D-Day beaches down the road and of course the Bayeux Tapastry a bit further on.

So count me in! Just tell me when and how much? I have my cheque book waiting!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
To be more specific, a D road is maintained by the Department, ie a sort of local council, and can - and often does - change number as it crosses a local council boundary (this can be very confusing).
N roads are maintained by the National government, while A roads are autoroutes and you have to pay a toll for (nearly) all of them. So a D road could be really busy - for instance one by the coast in the summer such as the road south from Boulogne which is very busy but also has a good cycle route by it all the way - while an N road may be quiet.
But by and large, there are so many roads in France they they tend to get less use, and they have much less frost damage than UK roads so are often in better condition. Having said that, they do have their fair share of farm tracks masquerading as roads.

Oh - and I have a mirror on the bike, to tell me which side of the road to ride on. Strange, but true.

this is starting to look good. I'll pack my budgie-smugglers.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
After cycling to Paris a couple of times last year. Even the smaller roads are well maintained compared to the uk and very few pot holes of note. On the bigger roads cyclists are are least respected by vehicle drivers.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
interested....
see below

e-mails please.........and don't forget to mention if you're one of a pair or a group

Top Bottom