FNRttC The Fridays tour 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
My thought is,i wish i wasn't married :whistle:
*ahem* tandem *ahem*. Makes booking hotels easy, too.

On numbers, we completely booked out one or two lonjog destinations. I haven't looked at the map yet to work out whether the same applies for this. If they're ibised, probably not.

A couple of years ago there was a half-bridge out over the Garonne at Bordeaux. If it's still there, consider it as the destination. If not, there's a pretty fine 18th century bridge to aim for.

srw

My thought is,i wish i wasn't married :whistle:

On numbers, we completely booked out one or two lonjog destinations. I haven't looked at the map yet to work out whether the same applies for this. If they're ibised, probably not.

A couple of years ago there was a half-bridge out over the Garonne at Bordeaux. If it's still there, consider it as the destination. If not, there's a pretty fine 18th century bridge to aim for.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
. I haven't looked at the map yet to work out whether the same applies for this. If they're ibised, probably not.
Good point, well expressed, that man.
We will go through big towns, where there will be lots of hotels, some posh for the Rapha wearers among us, and some of the Ibis variety for the Altura wearers. There should be campsites for the Lidl gilet wearers. We are, after all, nothing if not inclusive.

andyman

Occasional tandemista

I hadn't realised, as a tandemista, double posting was required.....

Sorry to hijack this thread, but as I am from this region I would avoid crossing by ferry and cycling through the Medoc to Bordeaux, it is very boring and unsurprising landscape. Your route through Cognac, Jonzac and Montendre is much nicer and makes for better cycling and scenery. If you want any more info on this area, I am more than happy to oblige (including places to stay). If only I were in the UK, so that I could join you, sounds fabulous.

OP
OP
mmmmartin

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Thanks, a very interesting comment. I shall be having a look round that area to the west of Bordeaux in early November after riding from Madrid. And no doubt those on the recce in May will bear your comment in mind. Two of the Fridays have ridden it and suggested the ferry option is better. Obviously the recce will have an open mind. But it's not often we get to stare in wonder at Huge Houses, hence the ferry suggestion.....

Thanks, a very interesting comment. I shall be having a look round that area to the west of Bordeaux in early November after riding from Madrid. And no doubt those on the recce in May will bear your comment in mind. Two of the Fridays have ridden it and suggested the ferry option is better. Obviously the recce will have an open mind. But it's not often we get to stare in wonder at Huge Houses, hence the ferry suggestion.....
Granted there are some amazing Chateaus in that area, and I know scenery is a personal thing. Cognac is beautiful (the place not the drink), as is Jonzac (Spa town), montendre is pretty dull though. Mind you all of this is from someone who lives here and is used to it. Strangely, I crave the thought of cycling through the Uks villages.

On another note, her indoors has said "do you want to do it?". Now I am wondering how to get myself and my bike to Caen^_^

wanda2010

Guru
Your missus wouldn't be trying to offload you onto us would she? ^_^

srw

The ferry and Medoc have three novelties that I'd suggest you won't get anywhere else - a French ferry (a floating bridge, if you will, to go with the invasion bridge and the pont transporteur), fantastic tarmac (replaced for the 2010 TdF time trial) and real estate as expensive as anything you'd get in Kensington, but planted with vines instead of Georgian villas. Riding through well-known wine estates is itself a novelty.

Having done half of it, the "mainland" route is "just" another French pretty, moderately hilly landscape of secret valleys and agriculture - a bit like most of the rest of France, then.

The ferry and Medoc have three novelties that I'd suggest you won't get anywhere else - a French ferry (a floating bridge, if you will, to go with the invasion bridge and the pont transporteur), fantastic tarmac (replaced for the 2010 TdF time trial) and real estate as expensive as anything you'd get in Kensington, but planted with vines instead of Georgian villas. Riding through well-known wine estates is itself a novelty.

Having done half of it, the "mainland" route is "just" another French pretty, moderately hilly landscape of secret valleys and agriculture - a bit like most of the rest of France, then.
But the landscape is still very boring, and IMO, if the weather is bad, then it is very grim riding. If you want to ride through well known wine estates, but with stunning scenery and expensive property then go through the St. Emilion region.

srw

I'm only going by what I remember from 3 years ago (about the same time as year as the Fridays' tour 2014, but with a lousy June). Getting onto Medoc was a fantastic change of scenery. After you've done 400 miles of undulating French rural prettiness, a blast of flat industrialisation is just what the doctor ordered. The fact that we time-trialled 17 miles inside an hour into a light headwind (flat-barred touring tandem, four panniers, bar bag, saddle bag) after a week of averaging 11mph is neither here nor there...

Top Bottom