The Fridays Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
my most acute memories, not necessarily the most precious, but the most crystalline are from the first night.

As far as I know Susie and I were the only two to have ridden the road in real time, and we knew how challenging, but, also, how strange this hejira was. The noise, light and smell of the shisha bars, the smooth facades of St. John's Wood, the mansion pubs of Edgware, the crossing of the North Circ, that odd moment where, at a small roundabout, the road diminishes and the lights stop, before we get back to crossing motorways, and then, after Elstree and the rather odd sideways look at St. Albans, the moment, the exact moment when I knew that this was, after six months planning, a real thing, the turn northwest along the former A5, the smooth sinuous almost silky tarmac following the River Ver, heading toward daylight and our first stop. Everything from that moment on was not 'the start' but, rather 'the ride'. And, whatever the limitations of MaccyDs, the first occasion of our sitting down together was where we really started to be a club rather than a collection of nervous individuals contemplating giving the bald twat a slap for being so completely stupid.

Over the next couple of days strategies unfolded and unravelled. The ride became adaptable, forming and re-forming to work it's way north to York. The van became part of the ride rather than some distant cousin. Looked at from outer space a collection of dots sometimes together, sometimes spread over miles, took on, thanks to these adaptions, a kind of organic quality that subsumed personal concerns and became a happy, successful, achieving kind of thing. The Saturday and Sunday were our salad days, the FNRttCers rolling along and discovering that, yes, Teresa and her friends in Tesco had got up at five o'clock on our account, and that people were going to appear and set out lunch by a lake in a place none of us had heard of and only charge us a fiver. It all feels like a long time back now, a kind of elysian delusion beyond the tougher reality of hills and rain, but those were the days in which LonJoG really came in to being as a thing made of smiles and tired legs rather than a pipedream. Those days, the days of becoming are, then, the days I treasure.

U

User10571

my most acute memories, not necessarily the most precious, but the most crystalline are from the first night.

As far as I know Susie and I were the only two to have ridden the road in real time, and we knew how challenging, but, also, how strange this hejira was. The noise, light and smell of the shisha bars, the smooth facades of St. John's Wood, the mansion pubs of Edgware, the crossing of the North Circ, that odd moment where, at a small roundabout, the road diminishes and the lights stop, before we get back to crossing motorways, and then, after Elstree and the rather odd sideways look at St. Albans, the moment, the exact moment when I knew that this was, after six months planning, a real thing, the turn northwest along the former A5, the smooth sinuous almost silky tarmac following the River Ver, heading toward daylight and our first stop. Everything from that moment on was not 'the start' but, rather 'the ride'. And, whatever the limitations of MaccyDs, the first occasion of our sitting down together was where we really started to be a club rather than a collection of nervous individuals contemplating giving the bald twat a slap for being so completely stupid.

Over the next couple of days strategies unfolded and unravelled. The ride became adaptable, forming and re-forming to work it's way north to York. The van became part of the ride rather than some distant cousin. Looked at from outer space a collection of dots sometimes together, sometimes spread over miles, took on, thanks to these adaptions, a kind of organic quality that subsumed personal concerns and became a happy, successful, achieving kind of thing. The Saturday and Sunday were our salad days, the FNRttCers rolling along and discovering that, yes, Teresa and her friends in Tesco had got up at five o'clock on our account, and that people were going to appear and set out lunch by a lake in a place none of us had heard of and only charge us a fiver. It all feels like a long time back now, a kind of elysian delusion beyond the tougher reality of hills and rain, but those were the days in which LonJoG really came in to being as a thing made of smiles and tired legs rather than a pipedream. Those days, the days of becoming are, then, the days I treasure.

"Less is more" said Mies van der Rohe.
aka: How to condense an 8(?) day ride to twelve lines.
Choice.
Choice words.

Zee

Veteran
I thought I’d add to the write ups with a few moments that come to mind. Without going to through everyone’s pictures at the same time I’m sure I've forgotten a few gems. In no particular order...

The smell of shisha and weed as we were corralled through Edgware Road.

All the times I spent chasing wheels (including an instance when Greg was just trying to get far enough up the road for a secluded toilet break). The sight of the Michaels, the CC boys, Claude, Rebecca, StuAff or Adrian in the distance was a consistently good excuse to try to blow my legs off. Thanks for putting up with the equivalent of a puppy yapping and running around your ankles all week :rolleyes:

Oh and Ian, when he drew alongside in the van. Thanks for easing off just enough in order to entertain the idea that I might actually be able to pass you, right before hitting the gas and speeding off, you cruel cruel man. :cursing:

The bride and groom, wheeling an empty push chair into Colindale ASDA at 2am. And before anyone asks, it was definitely water in my bottles.

I caused my fair share of trouble this trip. Thanks to all of the TECs (Chris, Titus, Mick, Adrian, Olaf, Greg, Martin, Eddie and Markus amongst others whom my memory fails me for) for waiting and keeping me out of the back of the van. I feel a little bad having had Mick stop for my front mech mere minutes earlier to then have helplessly swept past him at 40 odd as he fixed a puncture on a downhill stretch. I'll see if I can work out a 1x10 gear ratio that won't tear my kneecaps off.

The little spell of supposedly light rain forecast before the Last Cafe stop in England (which had me cursing the heavens). And Susie, several days later in a far better mood, singing away the rain as we rolled out of Tain.

The three hour van ride with Ian through Tain that made me and Jacob acutely aware of what a difficult job Ian had endured and would have to endure for several more days. For that I cannot be more grateful. I think a bottle of whisky is just what was needed after eight days, 1500 teetotal miles and several tonnes of baggage moved. You Sir, have the patience of a saint.

The Hownsgill Bunkhouse. The takeaway ordered in, the company over dinner, the fantastic view and the small goat minding its own business trimming the edges of the lawn. After a hectic year, that was one completely stress free moment that will stick with me.

Greg eschewing the use of mechanical subtlety "just hit it until it works" and hoping (read: praying) that he didn't let go of that towel. For that I think at the very least I owe him a pint.

Sahar. You go girl! That last day was tough. I was so proud seeing you appear through the door at JoG. It's been a very trying week, I'm not the most ideal person to hide behind on those windy stretches but I hope Jacob and I two abreast made it a little easier. I must echo the other folks and say that you will be a force to be reckoned with when you switch to a road bike.

Big and French Michael. We probably should have come up with something better. You are both huge and have the cheeriest demeanours I've ever encountered. It was a pleasure to share the ride, a room and various instances of food consumption with you both.

The Ross-train and the Titus train. I had the pleasure of jumping on both of these. Both men eschew a 15mph average, terrain and road conditions be damned. Titus, thanks for dragging me back to the group- after that hour stop in Perth Cycles, I was not looking forward to having to take the van, before yourself, French Michael and Eddie rolled up. And...the Ross express from Wick to John O'Groats. I was bonking from the run-in to Wick and hauling 20 odd kilos of luggage up a hill to the final B&B. That little train and the pull let me inhale a banana (thanks Ian) and recover enough to get to JoG in one piece.

Thanks to Mark, sorry for boring you with the work related talk on holiday. Thanks for the stories and advice, not to mention your back wheel between Wick and JoG. Over the course of the week, the Brompton induced suspicions of mental imbalance slowly turned into awe. You (and Olaf of course) are hard men.

Louise, thank you for the good company up to Kinross. (and that gilet was a lifesaver) I was sad to see you leave us – hopefully you’ve survived your 1000km ordeal and have caught up on sleep!

And Sonia, again, leaving us early. It was good to see you again. You’ve made good progress in downsizing your luggage since the backpack of an FNRttC of yesteryear! :smile: Best of luck with the Dun Run this weekend!

Mice, you were a ball of energy, endless entertainment throughout the week. Picturing you stumbling out of the Spread Eagle in Jedburgh with your mini-pump hitting the hotel sign, the hotel desk, the hotel wall, the door, the door frame.......and so forth, still brings a smile to my face. Bad luck with the left hand shifter in the last few days :sad: well done for toughing it out with the middle ring! It was lovely to have met you.

The chance encounter with Scoosh at the junction. Thank you for the company! I was glad I could help with your headset.

Gordon, Stuart, Charlie and Jim - I hope you don't take this the wrong way but you have looked after your legs well! I would be delighted to be as fighting fit as you guys when I can take buses for free. (Mind you it's not long since I'd stopped doing that). Congratulations on your granddaughter Jim!

Also these last few days, I've found myself wearing sandals for the first time in months and swearing a whole lot more. I feel as though it may be something to do with spending a week with Adrian..

And of course. Simon. Plagued with mechanicals this week. Broken rear mech, snapped spoke and to top it off 3(?) p***tu**s. One may shake one’s head at the young riff-raff’s stripy tyres but they did pretty well in comparison to the Conti’s, no? In all seriousness thank you for an absolutely amazing week- for all the hours you’ve given to LonJog and the Fridays this week and the months before. It's been the most amazing trip I've been on in my twenty odd years.

And everyone, thank you all, it was an honour to share LonJog with you.

IMAG0821.jpg IMAG0950.jpg IMAG0952.jpg IMAG1027.jpg IMAG1088.jpg IMAG1109.jpg IMAG1127.jpg IMAG1178.jpg IMAG1148.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The two Michaels and their nomenclature. Seeing as Betty Windsor shook hands with a retired freedom fighter terrorist this week I feel we should turn to Ireland for a solution.

Big Michael = Big Michael aka 'The Big Fella'
French Michael = Long Michael aka 'The Long Fella'

ianmac62

Guru
The two Michaels and their nomenclature. Seeing as Betty Windsor shook hands with a retired freedom fighter terrorist this week I feel we should turn to Ireland for a solution.

Big Michael = Big Michael aka 'The Big Fella'
French Michael = Long Michael aka 'The Long Fella'

As we cycled through Scotland on this tour, how about replacing "Fella" with "Yin"?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The two Michaels and their nomenclature. Seeing as Betty Windsor shook hands with a retired freedom fighter terrorist this week I feel we should turn to Ireland for a solution and reflect up the Scottishness of our ride (as per Ian above)

Big Michael => Big Michael => 'The Big Fella' => 'The Big Yin'
French Michael => Long Michael => 'The Long Fella' => 'The Long Yin'

Sorted.

SaLQ83

1910630 said:
Deserve, I'd say.

Thank you! But I am also proud of my hybride making it all the way :smile:

SaLQ83

Oh no, we'll never be able to keep up with you then! I rode a hybrid for 18 months, including several night rides, before I got my road bike, and riding the heavy bike was good training in itself: in comparison the new one felt as if it had a motor in it (apart from going uphill that is:blush: ). I still use the hybrid for shopping, and I'm as fond of it as you are of yours, but you'll love your new bike when you get it.

To do the Tour on that bike was a great achievement, and you should be very proud of yourself.
Thanks User13710. I am but I have already started looking around. I'll still keep my Hybrid though for going arounf the city.

SaLQ83

I thought I’d add to the write ups with a few moments that come to mind. Without going to through everyone’s pictures at the same time I’m sure I've forgotten a few gems. In no particular order...

The smell of shisha and weed as we were corralled through Edgware Road.

All the times I spent chasing wheels (including an instance when Greg was just trying to get far enough up the road for a secluded toilet break). The sight of the Michaels, the CC boys, Claude, Rebecca, StuAff or Adrian in the distance was a consistently good excuse to try to blow my legs off. Thanks for putting up with the equivalent of a puppy yapping and running around your ankles all week :rolleyes:

Oh and Ian, when he drew alongside in the van. Thanks for easing off just enough in order to entertain the idea that I might actually be able to pass you, right before hitting the gas and speeding off, you cruel cruel man. :cursing:

The bride and groom, wheeling an empty push chair into Colindale ASDA at 2am. And before anyone asks, it was definitely water in my bottles.

I caused my fair share of trouble this trip. Thanks to all of the TECs (Chris, Titus, Mick, Adrian, Olaf, Greg, Martin, Eddie and Markus amongst others whom my memory fails me for) for waiting and keeping me out of the back of the van. I feel a little bad having had Mick stop for my front mech mere minutes earlier to then have helplessly swept past him at 40 odd as he fixed a puncture on a downhill stretch. I'll see if I can work out a 1x10 gear ratio that won't tear my kneecaps off.

The little spell of supposedly light rain forecast before the Last Cafe stop in England (which had me cursing the heavens). And Susie, several days later in a far better mood, singing away the rain as we rolled out of Tain.

The three hour van ride with Ian through Tain that made me and Jacob acutely aware of what a difficult job Ian had endured and would have to endure for several more days. For that I cannot be more grateful. I think a bottle of whisky is just what was needed after eight days, 1500 teetotal miles and several tonnes of baggage moved. You Sir, have the patience of a saint.

The Hownsgill Bunkhouse. The takeaway ordered in, the company over dinner, the fantastic view and the small goat minding its own business trimming the edges of the lawn. After a hectic year, that was one completely stress free moment that will stick with me.

Greg eschewing the use of mechanical subtlety "just hit it until it works" and hoping (read: praying) that he didn't let go of that towel. For that I think at the very least I owe him a pint.

Sahar. You go girl! That last day was tough. I was so proud seeing you appear through the door at JoG. It's been a very trying week, I'm not the most ideal person to hide behind on those windy stretches but I hope Jacob and I two abreast made it a little easier. I must echo the other folks and say that you will be a force to be reckoned with when you switch to a road bike.

Big and French Michael. We probably should have come up with something better. You are both huge and have the cheeriest demeanours I've ever encountered. It was a pleasure to share the ride, a room and various instances of food consumption with you both.

The Ross-train and the Titus train. I had the pleasure of jumping on both of these. Both men eschew a 15mph average, terrain and road conditions be damned. Titus, thanks for dragging me back to the group- after that hour stop in Perth Cycles, I was not looking forward to having to take the van, before yourself, French Michael and Eddie rolled up. And...the Ross express from Wick to John O'Groats. I was bonking from the run-in to Wick and hauling 20 odd kilos of luggage up a hill to the final B&B. That little train and the pull let me inhale a banana (thanks Ian) and recover enough to get to JoG in one piece.

Thanks to Mark, sorry for boring you with the work related talk on holiday. Thanks for the stories and advice, not to mention your back wheel between Wick and JoG. Over the course of the week, the Brompton induced suspicions of mental imbalance slowly turned into awe. You (and Olaf of course) are hard men.

Louise, thank you for the good company up to Kinross. (and that gilet was a lifesaver) I was sad to see you leave us – hopefully you’ve survived your 1000km ordeal and have caught up on sleep!

And Sonia, again, leaving us early. It was good to see you again. You’ve made good progress in downsizing your luggage since the backpack of an FNRttC of yesteryear! :smile: Best of luck with the Dun Run this weekend!

Miranda, you were a ball of energy, endless entertainment throughout the week. Picturing you stumbling out of the Spread Eagle in Jedburgh with your mini-pump hitting the hotel sign, the hotel desk, the hotel wall, the door, the door frame.......and so forth, still brings a smile to my face. Bad luck with the left hand shifter in the last few days :sad: well done for toughing it out with the middle ring! It was lovely to have met you.

The chance encounter with Scoosh at the junction. Thank you for the company! I was glad I could help with your headset.

Gordon, Stuart, Charlie and Jim - I hope you don't take this the wrong way but you have looked after your legs well! I would be delighted to be as fighting fit as you guys when I can take buses for free. (Mind you it's not long since I'd stopped doing that). Congratulations on your granddaughter Jim!

Also these last few days, I've found myself wearing sandals for the first time in months and swearing a whole lot more. I feel as though it may be something to do with spending a week with Adrian..

And of course. Simon. Plagued with mechanicals this week. Broken rear mech, snapped spoke and to top it off 3(?) p***tu**s. One may shake one’s head at the young riff-raff’s stripy tyres but they did pretty well in comparison to the Conti’s, no? In all seriousness thank you for an absolutely amazing week- for all the hours you’ve given to LonJog and the Fridays this week and the months before. It's been the most amazing trip I've been on in my twenty odd years.

Loved the bit about Miranada and the Hotel in Jedburgh! :laugh:

Mice, you were a ball of energy, endless entertainment throughout the week. Picturing you stumbling out of the Spread Eagle in Jedburgh with your mini-pump hitting the hotel sign, the hotel desk, the hotel wall, the door, the door frame.......and so forth, still brings a smile to my face. Bad luck with the left hand shifter in the last few days :sad: well done for toughing it out with the middle ring! It was lovely to have met you.

Thank you Zee - luckily the mini-pump is made of stern stuff and survived its escape from the hotel. Next time I'll see if I can find a hotel with a concierge or maybe I'll put a bell on my stuff so I can hear it tapping counters/walls/doorframes....!! I can also happily report that my gear shifter has been repaired - woohoooooo!!!

It was great to meet you and I look forward to seeing you on an FNRttC very soon.

Mice

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi everyone.

It feels a bit weird coming back to this thread and reading it through after getting home this evening from the Western Isles. I can't believe that all these things happened just a week ago.

What an amazing experience and thank you to EVERYONE on the ride for making it so much fun. To Simon for organising such a well designed ride and the effort you must have gone to with this both before and during the ride. To Ian who must have unbelievable organisational skills to keep all the drop offs, extra bits of kit, food, water and everything going so slickly. To all the Waymarkers and TECs throughout the ride. The renegade three who found the other route to Kinross with that beautiful decent out of the forest. To mmmmartin for finding me a room in Newtonmore when I was soaked to the skin and not looking forward to pitching a tent, and to George and Sahar for your company on the last day (that is some real determination you have) and for talking the Wetherspoons into serving me food in Wick.

I'll write a fuller report later when I've had time to put everything back together, but I think the simplest summary is WOW!

Thanks
Marcus

Top Bottom