FNRttC The Fridays' - Windsor to Winchester Night Ride - Friday 13th March 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Poo. I'm out.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Well, well well, if isn't @Davywalnuts - how great to hear from you. I'm busy elsewhere on the night of this ride so won't see you but it's good to hear from you. Hope you're well.
Thankyou. Am sure I'll see more soon the more active I can get. Hope you're well too.

I'll be the motorbiker tonight, loitering by the bikes, for those that don't recognise me. I've got a full motorbiker beard now too! Ha.

Have a great ride too peeps, am jel.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Thankyou. Am sure I'll see more soon the more active I can get. Hope you're well too.

I'll be the motorbiker tonight, loitering by the bikes, for those that don't recognise me. I've got a full motorbiker beard now too! Ha.

Have a great ride too peeps, am jel.
What you riding (with an engine)?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
What you riding (with an engine)?

Honda Nc750s.. Great commuting bike, fantastic in fact. Just ordered a Swytch conversion for the Brompton though so may start to be able to get my legs working again soon..

Anyhow, that was great to see fellow nutters riding off into the sunrise, great buzz from it has been obtained. Hopefully I didn't bring the weather gods wrath...

I saw a cyclist, Seamus I think his name was, just miss the leave by no more than a minute.. I didn't pay attention to the ride route so hopefully I didn't send him the wrong way and he's all caught up now.

Enjoy peeps!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
That was a cracking ride that rarely had to use main roads for any distance. Thanks to Titus and everyone that developed and tested the route - I know a lot of effort goes into making it all look so easy.

There were thirteen of us, fourteen once Seamus caught up. I’ve never been on a Fridays ride with so few riders, but it meant that the need for way marking was much reduced and hence the early progress was unusually brisk. Starting away from London helped too as we were alone on nearly empty roads almost from the beginning.

There were a few spots of rain in the air when I rode to the start, which turned to persistent drizzle about an hour after we set off. It was never torrential but there was a lot of standing water on many of the roads from start to finish. I came a cropper when I hit a deep water filled pothole at speed, pinch puncturing the tube. Fortunately I managed to aim for a soft landing on the grass verge before I parted company with the bike. It’s OK, CdF fans, a slightly bent left hand brifter and some mudguard stay straightening were the only damage apart from needing a new inner tube.

The half way stop at Basingstoke’s premier all night McDonalds was exactly as expected - adequate - before we braved the hillier second half. Neither of the two hills Titus warned about seemed particularly steep although the first did carry on for a bit. Anyone that was part of the Eastbourne ride last year tackled far more demanding terrain.

The last few miles into Winchester were marked by another puncture and a loud bang as a replacement tube that had been trapped during fitting exploded spectacularly when a CO2 cartridge was applied. Considering the wet roads we did well to only collect four or five (I think) punctures during the ride.

Once in our destination Wetherspoons the food was quickly delivered and reasonable value as ever. For once we arrived before beer was able to be served so I had a rare Fridays breakfast sans Guinness, followed by a fast train with three other riders back to Clapham Junction.

For the record, I recorded 137 km and 808 m climbing, of which 100 km or so and the vast majority of the elevation gain was Windsor to Winchester.Once again, thanks to all for a thoroughly enjoyable night.

ozboz

Guru
Hello all, looks like you had a fantastic ride , my fears for a problem were justified, although not targeted toward us there was an acid attack on the road below the shops where live , there have been armed robberies , knife crime and a murder this last 12 months, where do we live you ask ? The incredible suburb of Richmond u Thames ,
Ms boz would have been in a proper state when I got back had I have gone on ride ,

we arrived before beer was able to be served
:ohmy: Incroyable!! :eek:

sagefly

Veteran
What the stuntman, aka, newfhouse said.
Excellent route just enough hilliness for an early season ride and quiet country roads, the rain stayed mostly light for the the ride, ignoring a couple of short deluges, we all stayed pretty much dry.

Once Winchester moves to the Coast this should be a regular gig!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Glad you all had a good time. I was afraid I might need to bail (recovering from minor ailment) so I moved my ride to Saturday. Bad decision:

a). I would have been perfectly fine on the night ride. b) I crashed :sad:

Not sure if I'll be OK for Southend. If I do it will probably be on my Brompton.

Hello all, looks like you had a fantastic ride , my fears for a problem were justified, although not targeted toward us there was an acid attack on the road below the shops where live , there have been armed robberies , knife crime and a murder this last 12 months, where do we live you ask ? The incredible suburb of Richmond u Thames ,
Ms boz would have been in a proper state when I got back had I have gone on ride ,
bloody Nora, that sucks
:-(
Deffo the right decision.hope things improve.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
14? Blimey. Any lower and it'll be challenging my IOW ride for numbers. Admittedly, I was part of the problem this time (Honda's MOT had to be done this weekend & not enough time for the ride, picking the Honda up, and Saturday night out- at least safely)…

Did you get an informational talk on the historic WCs in Alresford?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It has been reported on local media that it was some dipstick that couldn’t handle the fact that his ex GF had started courting another lad , so he decided to teach them a lesson ,
You get a like for use of the word "courting"

Top Bottom