The Frugal Recipes Thread... a companion to the Frugality thread....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm cooking another putanesca right now. I'm afraid that anchovy fillets, capers and black olives put my dish outside the realms of frugal. I'll have to take trip to Lidl to see what it could cost.

A dish whose costs can quickly escalate depending on the quality of the anchovies. Been known to have some in Spain that are 2 euros per fillet!

presta

Guru
Toast and Marmite. :okay: Food of the gods :hungry:
I have experience of too much Marmite.

When I was walking the Pembrokeshire Coast Path 20 odd years ago I hit on the idea of buying a small pot of Marmite to make my sandwiches with. Cheap & convenient I thought, with just one small jar all week instead of a jar of paste each day. So Marmite it was. "You like marmite, do you?" said the staff at Hamilton Backpackers as they watched me making up my usual half a large loaf into Marmite sandwiches on the second day.

Then next day I walked 20 miles to Trevine, but found that the shop had closed, so it was another mile to the Garage on the main road. It was whilst I was stood in the checkout queue at the garage that the symptoms of Marmite overdose suddenly made themselves evident. At first my stomach felt a bit dodgy, then alot dodgy, then it became evident that an eruption was imminent, and from then on it became more & more imminent.

As I stood in the queue willing it to move and clenching my buttocks as tight as I could manage, I grew increasingly anxious that there would be an explosion if I stayed there, and an explosion if I dared flinch a muscle to move as well. Anyhow, eventually I got to the till, and then waddled out of the door like a duck doing an impression of Charlie Chaplin. Fortunately I made it a few yards down the road, and behind a hedge at a field entrance.

Mine is from Jack Monroe, the queen of frugal:
Nevertheless, it's only 10% cheaper than the average of my evening meals, and twice the price of Dhal.

alicat

Legendary Member
As I stood in the queue willing it to move and clenching my buttocks as tight as I could manage, I grew increasingly anxious that there would be an explosion if I stayed there, and an explosion if I dared flinch a muscle to move as well. Anyhow, eventually I got to the till, and then waddled out of the door like a duck doing an impression of Charlie Chaplin. Fortunately I made it a few yards down the road, and behind a hedge at a field entrance.

:notworthy: TMI and OT combined prize of the year.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
:notworthy: TMI and OT combined prize of the year.

On the other hand, if you felt less like eating after reading it, and it cost you nothing, it certainly does the frugal bit!

Latest slow cook - all yellow sticker.

Turkey Breast £5
Peppers £1
Mushrooms 50p
Beensprouts 25p
Carrots 23p

I'm cooking the breast whole for a few hours then it will be chopped up and the veg added. Not sure wether to use a curry sauce pot or my usual tomato's + herbs/stuff.

I've started this late today, should have been cooking this morning so it'll be a late night to cook overnight on low. Or set a timer to turn it off later.

2022-10-1217-11-475796804163166944503.jpg

IMG-20221012-162706-020.jpg

Petrichorwheels

my upstairs toilet is switched off the water supply/auto feed at the moment due to a problem with the ballcock that needs fixing.
so the top's off the tank.
The shower in that room is a hand-held thingy over a bath.
I've taken to putting the plug in when showering and then pouring the shower water (essentially clean) into the toilet flush tank.

In truth I think all toilets in new houses should be fed from some sort of cleanish used water/rain water - surely no problem to do some basic filtering for physical matter? Or maybe folks think their bodily waste products deserve nothing less than pure Evian to flush away.

(seem to recall that alternative living centre in Wales I visited donkey's years ago used such a system/or something similar)

vickster

Legendary Member
my upstairs toilet is switched off the water supply/auto feed at the moment due to a problem with the ballcock that needs fixing.
so the top's off the tank.
The shower in that room is a hand-held thingy over a bath.
I've taken to putting the plug in when showering and then pouring the shower water (essentially clean) into the toilet flush tank.

In truth I think all toilets in new houses should be fed from some sort of cleanish used water/rain water - surely no problem to do some basic filtering for physical matter? Or maybe folks think their bodily waste products deserve nothing less than pure Evian to flush away.

(seem to recall that alternative living centre in Wales I visited donkey's years ago used such a system/or something similar)

What’s this got to do with frugal recipes? :whistle:
Would make more sense here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-frugality-thread.287789/page-17#post-6826810

AndyRM

XOXO
I guess the last two things I've made have been pretty frugal:

Roast broccoli, sprouts and garlic. Chuck em all in a roasting pan, with salt, pepper and olive oil. Put in the oven around 200 degrees for half an hour, take out, shake it all about, put back in for another 15. Eat on their own or with some rice. Lovely.

Potato chilli. Chop up potatoes, blanche for 3 minutes, drain and fry until browning. Chuck in some kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, onion and garlic, as well as any spices you fancy. Cook for around 15 minutes on a medium heat. Again, have it on its own or with rice.

Probably not more than a fiver for both dishes, and in the unlikely event you have leftovers, freeze them.

Top Bottom