The Frugal Recipes Thread... a companion to the Frugality thread....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Gone fruity today...

Banana chips. Slice your banana, lay it out on greaseproof paper on a baking tray. Sprinkle on some cinnamon. Bake at 110 degrees for about 90 mins, flip and bake for another hour.

Apple chips. Exactly the same as above, but only takes an hour as there's less moisture in a banana.

Can't be more than a couple quid for both. Lovely sweet snack!

Tom...

Guru
Gone fruity today...

Banana chips. Slice your banana, lay it out on greaseproof paper on a baking tray. Sprinkle on some cinnamon. Bake at 110 degrees for about 90 mins, flip and bake for another hour.

Apple chips. Exactly the same as above, but only takes an hour as there's less moisture in a banana.

I wouldn't describe having the oven on for over 2.5 hours as frugal :scratch:

Making quince jelly for my morning toast from some quince pears that were "free to a good home" in a box by the roadside. I've thrown in some Japonica quinces from my garden and a couple of apples that needed using as well.

Still got a fair few quince pears (I filled my pannier bag) so will be making Membrillo to go with cheese... :hungry:

Gone fruity today...

I don't have an Oven 🙃

When I moved I noticed the oven was missing presumably sold and I've put the fridge in there instead.

I do have a Banana Wine recipe though that is disgusting to look at (boiling bananas makes a kind of grey gloop) but makes a lovely drink.

Edit: Recipe

Banana Wine- It doesn't taste of banana, it just tastes like a wine. Don't squeeze the banana's too much or you just get a load of deposit in the demi john. The boiled banana goes brown and very squishy, good for playing jokes....
Banana Wine To make 1 Gallon
2Kg bananas- not too over ripe
1kg Sugar
250 ml grape concentrate
1 tsp pectolase
Tannin
Nutrient
1 tsp acid blend or citric acid
Yeast
Slice the bananas and boil for 20 mins.
Strain carefully into a clean food grade plastic bucket
When cool to room temperature add the rest of ingredients and top up with cold water to seven pints total water.
It should start bubbling within 24 hours. If it doesn't, add more yeast because you killed the first lot!
After 3 days strain off, use a coarse straining bag that you can buy off us. Or, improvise if you must with muslin or the net curtains.
Put into a clean demi john with an airlock top up to the shoulders with cold water and leave to ferment out. This may take a few days or a couple of weeks depending on the temperature.
When the bubbles stop coming through the airlock, or slow down to about one every 2 minutes test the wine.
Either use a hydrometer or taste it. If it's too sweet leave it longer.
If it's dry(sour taste) or just right syphon off into a clean demi john.
Add 1 campden tablet and potassium sorbate.
Leave to clear.
When clear, syphon into a clean demi john or bottle.
www.thebrewshop.com

Last edited:
Bananas are good in a crumble too... Someone mentioned it on the crumble thread, so gave it a go. Lovely. They go all gooey and caramel-y. :hungry:

AndyRM

XOXO
grovelling apologies - thought I was in that thread I think - only pop in now and again.
maybe I should start another frugality thread to add to the compendium.
frugal drink
frugal sex
frugal bikes

f12f3ea77b6283365930002e5e28e721.jpeg

colly

Re member eR
Tuscan Vegetable Broth recipe

6 tomatoes, halved

4-5 celery sticks cut into

1lb potatoes, halved

1 onion peeled and halved

A handful of parsley rough cut (or just a very good sprinkle of dried)

All thrown into a large pan with a litre of hot veg stock (2 cubes) at the boil.

Reduce to a simmer for 75-90 minutes

Blitz and serve with a spot of olive oil and a sprinkle of parmesan on top

Spuds 30 p
Celery 30p
Onion 30p
Stock cubes 10p
Parsley 10p

Total about £1.10 plus a bit for cooking and a bit for the parmesan. So £1.20p for what turns into about 1.5 litres of very tasty soup.

Tuscan Vegetable Broth recipe

6 tomatoes, halved

4-5 celery sticks cut into

1lb potatoes, halved

1 onion peeled and halved

A handful of parsley rough cut (or just a very good sprinkle of dried)

All thrown into a large pan with a litre of hot veg stock (2 cubes) at the boil.

Reduce to a simmer for 75-90 minutes

Blitz and serve with a spot of olive oil and a sprinkle of parmesan on top

Spuds 30 p
Celery 30p
Onion 30p
Stock cubes 10p
Parsley 10p

Total about £1.10 plus a bit for cooking and a bit for the parmesan. So £1.20p for what turns into about 1.5 litres of very tasty soup.

And the tomatoes? That's if you can get any...

45p for a can of tomatoes, there or thereabouts.

colly

Re member eR
And the tomatoes? That's if you can get any...

45p for a can of tomatoes, there or thereabouts.

Never tried it canned tomatoes tbh but l guess it would work.
I got tomatoes yesterday no problem.

Mind you l was mugged for them on the way home:sad:

Top Bottom