The future of this forum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just had a look at the statistics for this forum and Bikeradar. In rought and ready terms, this forum has 600 members and 4,000 posts. Bikeradar has 112,000 members and 115,000 posts.

I think the success of a forum is largely due to a decent number of regular good quality posters - basically, the ones who post several time a day and keep things moving. I suspect that Bikeradar is dangerously close to become a moribund monolith with little moving except for teenagers trying out the swear filters. I suspect that some people at Future are sweating as to what the advertisers will thing of it all.

yenrod

Patrick Stevens said:
I've just had a look at the statistics for this forum and Bikeradar. In rought and ready terms, this forum has 600 members and 4,000 posts. Bikeradar has 112,000 members and 115,000 posts.

I think the success of a forum is largely due to a decent number of regular good quality posters - basically, the ones who post several time a day and keep things moving. I suspect that Bikeradar is dangerously close to become a moribund monolith with little moving except for teenagers trying out the swear filters. I suspect that some people at Future are sweating as to what the advertisers will thing of it all.

Yeah I'd go with that BUT = 'cept its at any cost with an advertiser !

spesh

I wouldn't rely too much on the numbers off the BR index page. The total post count stats for the old C+ forum were misleading, because the number quoted on the index page was only what was on the then current board and in the one month rolling archive.

If you ever looked at the post counts on the members' list pages, the top five most prolific posters alone had a combined total which exceeded that quoted on the index page!

Assuming that the other fora assimilated into the BoRg site had a similar "archive pit of death" policy, a more accurate comparison would require discounting all posts on this forum made over two months ago. :?:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
what is more telling is that in spite of br's numerical advantage, so to speak, if one flits between our café and their cake stop, there are no more users (often less) active than on here. and given that i'm here far more often than there, i'm amazed at how little movement there is in terms of new/active topics over there compared with over here.

as far as i'm concerned, this place is the phoenix from the ashes of c+, at least in terms of the community stuff, not to mention the smut, innuendo and filth :?:

Shaun

Founder
I've asked the admin at BR to remove my user profile and all my previous posts.

I'm working on the principle that if we remove the historical cache of the BR forums, there won't be much left to sell to the advertisers!

Cheers,
Shaun

yenrod

Administrator said:
I've asked the admin at BR to remove my user profile and all my previous posts.

I'm working on the principle that if we remove the historical cache of the BR forums, there won't be much left to sell to the advertisers!

Cheers,
Shaun

Good Idea ! :?:

May try........

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
Shaun et al,

This is not a war and if it was this site would not win (victory goes to the big battalions - sad but how it works).

BR are in a mess just now but realistically they are going to get the site sorted soon and then they will have the flow of beginners from the mags and Google to build a new community.

To be honest the negative feel of threads like this is inclining me to go back to BR and try to get it working again. Weird given the circumstances but true.

Oldlegs said:
Shaun et al,

This is not a war and if it was this site would not win (victory goes to the big battalions - sad but how it works).

BR are in a mess just now but realistically they are going to get the site sorted soon and then they will have the flow of beginners from the mags and Google to build a new community.

To be honest the negative feel of threads like this is inclining me to go back to BR and try to get it working again. Weird given the circumstances but true.

Spot on "Oldlegs". There`s plenty of room for both places on t`inernet, and there`s nowt wrong with a bit of choice anyway, let`s just `get on with it` when-ever and where-ever we all are :?: "Onwards and Upwards!" :?:

Arch

Married to Night Train
[quote name="]
alecstilleyedye' said:
the smut' date=' innuendo and filth :?:[/quote']

Did someone mention my name? :?:

BTW where's Arch?

She's up to her elbows (literally) in some sodden field up north somewhere with Mr Herriott.

Ahem! I've been visiting my sister, down in the slightly less sodden South. As for up to my elbows... well, it was traumatic enough when the birthing pool arrived, and she opened the box and I noticed the package included a sieve.... <shudder>

bonj2

I was on a ride with a midwife a few weeks ago. She was telling me of the time when a father-to-be turned up to the delivery suite with his Speedos and asked whether he could get in the birthing pool with his wife.

I in turn told her of the pre-delivery tour we did of the delivery suite before our first was born. The midwife doing the tour told us that we could bring in a CD player and music, to make the place seem more comfortable. One of the dads asked if he could bring his guitar in.
You couldn't have done if it was an electric guitar - it'd electrocute you! I wouldn't recommend taking an accoustic under water either, would probably ruin it being made of wood and that. Wouldn't be able to play it that well submerged anyway.

Arch said:
Ahem! I've been visiting my sister, down in the slightly less sodden South. As for up to my elbows... well, it was traumatic enough when the birthing pool arrived, and she opened the box and I noticed the package included a sieve.... <shudder>

Don`t
know about about the slightly less sodden south - sounds like the very poncy south to me ... Whats wrong with the tin bath in front of the fire and the collander? :?: . Congrats from me too Arch (Aunty Arch ... Hmmm! ) :?: .

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I think this forum will be a success because it is being made according to the members' instincts and there's no advertising. I've got nothing against BR now that I'm away from it. It is just that it is looking increasingly irrelevant.

Top Bottom