The great groupset debate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cameramanjim

Getting faster, very slowly
I´m about to order a Ribble Sportive Bianco, but can´t decide between Campag Athena and Sram Rival. Has anybody used both and come up with a favourite? I supect they´re both good and have friends who favour one over the other, but none of them have tried both, for more than a quick ride. I like the slightly extra range of the Campag set (11 speed, 12-29 cassette, as oposed to Sram´s 10 speed, 11-28).
The whole things driving me nuts. In a good way.
And then there´s Sram Apex (I´m 54 after all). Aaagh.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Go with SRAM for its cross compatibility with Shimano.

This makes upgrades and replacements easy.

Isn't there some special expensive tool for Campy 11sp chains if you want to remove one? Whereas any tool will do for Shimano SRAM 10sp stuff .

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I´m about to order a Ribble Sportive Bianco, but can´t decide between Campag Athena and Sram Rival. Has anybody used both and come up with a favourite? I supect they´re both good and have friends who favour one over the other, but none of them have tried both, for more than a quick ride. I like the slightly extra range of the Campag set (11 speed, 12-29 cassette, as oposed to Sram´s 10 speed, 11-28).
The whole things driving me nuts. In a good way.
And then there´s Sram Apex (I´m 54 after all). Aaagh.

I have Athena on my Viner, it is lovely. Not tried SRAM for more than a brief spin round the test track at the Cycle Show, but quality kit too. I'd suggest you try them both out before ordering, might be simply down to which of the very different shifting mechanisms you prefer. According to SRAM's own documentation, Rival will work with the 11-32 cassette, providing you get the mid-cage rear mech.

BikeCurious

Über Member
But Athena goes to 11. Imagine you're riding along on SRAM and you're on 10, where can you go from there? Nowhere! These go to 11.

Tynan

Veteran
from my experience with 10 speed when it first came out, the parts are much more pricey than the 9 speed that preceded it, something to think about I suggest,

I have a bike with Rival, love the double tap and compatibility with Shimano. The other has Campag Mirage which works as well as Rival, but I'm still not that keen on the extra button on the side of the levers. Plus with Campag you need all the extra Campag tools to work on it.

I'm a Campy man but if I was starting afresh I would think long and hard about Sram - their Blackbox stuff is fantastic gear (until you see the price) and they seem to be innovating at a greater pace than the poor old Italians.

Hopefully the good bits will trickle down on to the more affordable groupsets in the next few years.

Who cares? As long as it's not Shi**no.

Jake2.0

I'd go for the SRAM you can have the 11-32 cassete on Rival aswell as the apex. So you'll have a bail out gear for the big hills.

Garz

Squat Member
I cant comment on the SRAM but I'm currently on Campag Athena and it is smooth to ride. I have 105 to compare it too but I would agree with a couple of others that you should try out both shifting mechanisms to feel for which you prefer.

Top Bottom