The Great Helmet Debate

Do you regularly wear a cycling helmet (when cycling)

• No, never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soemtimes

• No, but I am such a steaming hippocrite I always make my children wear one

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Noooooooo! Not the helmet debate!!

... but yes, I do wear one but I don't think everyone should and I'm not convinced it would be effective in a serious incident.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I wear one much more since I bought a helmet cam...

I do, generally, but I'm quite happy for people not to. I'm sure for every "my helmet saved my life" tale, however true, there are dozens of "my helmet didn't stop me breaking my wrist" tales, or "my helmet would have been bugger all use as the bus drove over me" tales.

It should be a case of well informed personal choice. I cringe at the number of badly fitted helmets I see worn on the back of the head - no doubt instilling confidence in the poor saps wearing them...

Cab

My main reason for wearing one at the moment is also the helmet cam.

An interesting phenomenon has been the way that drivers treat me with the camera visibly on top of my head; they're giving me more space. Which is odd, as I used to find that just wearing a helmet drivers used to give me less space.

Bus drivers around here especially seem wise to the helmet cam. Three or four times now in a fortnight I've had them smile and wave into the camera.

electricdave

I dislike helmets mainly because I can't find one that doesn't give me headaches (guess I have an odd-shaped head) and I don't much like the human-en-croute design of the majority of them.
Having said that, I do feel that after 6 years of commuting in London with only one major wipeout (my own fault), I might be tempting fate a little bit by not wearing one. If my commute distance increases, I'll probably reconsider getting one, especially as I now have a little girl to think of.

I think that I still have one (in `as new condition`) somewhere in the garage. For comfort I prefer a baseball type cap in the summer and a `thermathingy` beany in the winter, don`t always wear one though.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Cab said:
My main reason for wearing one at the moment is also the helmet cam.

An interesting phenomenon has been the way that drivers treat me with the camera visibly on top of my head; they're giving me more space. Which is odd, as I used to find that just wearing a helmet drivers used to give me less space.

Bus drivers around here especially seem wise to the helmet cam. Three or four times now in a fortnight I've had them smile and wave into the camera.
maybe i could get a false helmet cam (a bit like a pretend alarm box on your house) that might act as a deterrant at less expense :blush:

Cab

alecstilleyedye said:
maybe i could get a false helmet cam (a bit like a pretend alarm box on your house) that might act as a deterrant at less expense :blush:

There was a bloke on the local news around here last year using one of these, put a lot of footage online apparently. I think theres a certain notoriety to these cameras in and around Cambridge, at least among bus drivers.

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecstilleyedye said:
maybe i could get a false helmet cam (a bit like a pretend alarm box on your house) that might act as a deterrant at less expense :rolleyes:

It's very simple. You will need the roll out of a toilet roll, some black sticky black plastic, a few old buttons (small black, not brass blazer types!), glue and a few rubber bands... :blush:

Mine was noticed the other day, by some lads in a car - I think one of them took a picture of me! I have to say, they followed me very sedately down the road, not racing for the pinch points as is the norm...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
alecstilleyedye said:
maybe i could get a false helmet cam (a bit like a pretend alarm box on your house) that might act as a deterrant at less expense :thumbsup:

It's very simple. You will need the roll out of a toilet roll, some black sticky black plastic, a few old buttons (small black, not brass blazer types!), glue and a few rubber bands... :rolleyes:

Mine was noticed the other day, by some lads in a car - I think one of them took a picture of me! I have to say, they followed me very sedately down the road, not racing for the pinch points as is the norm...

you are lesley judd and i claim my £5 :blush: :laugh:

asterix

Comrade Member
After commuting for years in Ipswich, Felixstowe, Manchester, Southampton and York without a helmet and no significant injury, I do now wear one in town.

2 years ago a dimwit opened his car door across a green painted cycle lane without looking and put me in hospital. Compensation is being claimed but the insurance company is saying I was negligent for not wearing a helmet and trying to reduce its liability thereby.

Nevertheless, I still perfectly safe with no helmet when in traffic-light areas, particularly France.

temporary said:
After commuting for years in Ipswich, Felixstowe, Manchester, Southampton and York without a helmet and no significant injury, I do now wear one in town.

2 years ago a dimwit opened his car door across a green painted cycle lane without looking and put me in hospital. Compensation is being claimed but the insurance company is saying I was negligent for not wearing a helmet and trying to reduce its liability thereby.

Nevertheless, I still perfectly safe with no helmet when in traffic-light areas, particularly France.

Don`t stand for the reduced liability scam ... The CTC went to court against an insurance company to knock that one on the head :blush:

i ride with two clubs. with the racing club i wear a helmet mainly because everyone else does and i get fed up of being asked if i forgot my helmet if i don't., with the touring club i don't because no one else does and to be honest i prefer riding without..
an insurance company tried the "not wearing a helmet" line with me when i was knocked off. i pointed out that the nearest injury to my head was my forearm and my helmet wasn't big enough to cover my arm so their argument was irrelevant.

Top Bottom