The heat and work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What provisions have your work set in place for the forecast heat next week ?
Working in an industrial weld shop where the temp will build up even higher as there is no air con, windows, breeze etc wearing PPE you might get a fan an a bottle of water but people have been known to pass out so im dreading it .

Julia9054

Guru
School is hell when it’s hot. No air con, doors and windows open (as they have been for the last 2 years). Kids are allowed to abandon blazers and ties. Erm, that’s it.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Probably nothing.
The trucks have aircon, so once out driving it shouldn't be too bad but yard or office work will be tough if you don't like the heat. Mind you.. I'm working over the weekend but off on what might be the worst days.

I've worked in some indoor and outdoor hot jobs in the past (glass blowing & working on a kibbutz, both regularly over 40c) and it's not so tough if you're used to it. More of an issue when it's only a couple of days here & there.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
On our section of floor at work, it will be the same cold air we have had since moving in to this building about 6 weeks ago. So long sleeve tops or hoodies. And going to other parts of the building to warm up!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Now't. I'm WFH Monday, in my conservatory - MrsF has left a candle in there and it's already melted across my work table whilst I've been in the proper office ! Tuesday in the office fortunately, no A/C but it's a properly environmentally cooled building so will be OK (bore hole and water pumped round the concrete structure as well as managed air flow.

Can't de-camp to the shed as that's full of my son's car parts, so Monday/Wednesday I'm not so sure I'll get much done in the afternoons.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My OH is thinking of coming to my office as we have aircon wifi and spare desks, it will be cooler than her home office.

One firm I worked for years ago gave us all ice lollies and a bit of a break in the afternoon .
It can be bad if you are working in a place where the sun is streaming through a skylight and you are stuck in that position .
Mixing body filler in the heat can be fun where the filler goes off before you get a chance to put it in the dent .

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Heat, don't make me laugh - worked as a Blacksmith :rolleyes:

si_c

Guru
I largely work from home at present, only been in the house a couple of weeks, but so far I've opened the front and rear windows and felt the need to reach for a hoodie and a fleece as it's been a bit chilly.

I've worked in some horrendous places for heat in summer though, I used to work in a University where the staff offices were 1960s type with massive 8ft windows and blinds that were largely non functional through age. Opening the window made no difference as there was no airflow and no airconditioning, in one of the offices the plastic around the monitors started to go soft.

potsy

Rambler
The heat wave coincides with my 4 days off... Bliss ^_^
Though to be fair I work in an environment that is always at a comfortable temperature so it would have been OK anyway.

Top Bottom