The heat and work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Been working from home this week, my house is very cool with upstairs window open and lounge curtains shut. DOn't know how next week will be, I have to go into the office. We have windows that open but they are next to a grass bank so no breeze usually. We have fans which are useless. I'm hoping it will be too uncomrotbale to work in so I can work from home

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Only working part time now, in a shop that only opens on Thursday, Friday and Saturday I'm gonna miss this 'Killer heat'!!:rolleyes: Even if I was working on the day it's supposed to strike, the shop although south facing is very dark and well ventilated, if you have the front and back doors open. Compare this to my window cleaning days, when It was hot and I had to get the water off asap with my blade, before it dried on in a few seconds. On none 'killer heat' days :rolleyes: I could wash 4 plate glass shop windows, then use my blade on them one by one, but in 'killer heat' I could only wash, blade then wipe each window one by one.

By the way @Cycleops, Accrington is expected to be warmer than our copied named twin town Accra :whistle: on Sunday and Monday!;)

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I work from home Mon, Tue Thus, and my study/office at home is on the North facing side of the house, so stays relatively cool. Opening windows should be enough.

Wed & Fri, I'll be in an air conditioned office, but cycling there and back which might get a little toasty on the way home.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Work from home four days a week. We don’t run the Aircon because it is so expensive. All windows open in our flat and a fan or two going. That and drinking cold water throughout the day.

We are on the top floor of a three-story walk up, so we get the direct sunlight on our roof as well as the heat rising from inside the building. With yesterday at 35°, it was plenty warm inside. 😓

Nothing like working in a hot factory of course, but everything is relative. Compared to when I was working in the office five days a week and it was chilly cool inside, working at home is definitely done in shorts and T-shirt. Suits me fine.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Here in East Asia, we had quite severe temps in June, HK 38c, Tokyo 40c. Unheard of.

Cooled down a bit now but still mid 30s c daytime and not much of a difference at night. No way can I live without an air con but I do have 3 superb Immarflex air fans that are cheaper to run so I can turn the air con down a bit. Does save a bit on the leccy bill.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Are you working in a freezer? Can I come?
It only feels like it. :smile:
At the other extreme, I used to work in an office in which the part I worked in caught the sun from dawn to dusk. So even with blinds down all day the heat grew as the walls soaked up the heat. And although air con vents were fitted, cheapening out in the build meant no air con. At various times management bought in ice lollies and cooling machines. I recall leaving the office around 6.30 one evening and the wall thermometer was showing 38c. On hot days, it was genuinely cooler outside.

Another WFH here. Past a certain point in the day the entire front of the house will get 6-8 hourse continous sun. I work at the back so can avoid the worst of it but it makes clocking off time very warm!

Also lots more people have cameras off for conferance calls, presumably as we all sat in our underwear :blush: though I have noticed some people sit outside for some calls.

For me it’s a wide brimmed hat, light clothing with long sleeves and legs, drink plenty.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'll be at work with decent air-con in the morning and in the afternoon, i might take myself, a book and sh!t loads of sunblock down the estuary where there's always a sea breeze.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
seriously considering the car mon and tue as on lates i will be commuting at peak temps riding into work that heat before being drenched in sweat all night doesnt sound appealing

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Am mostly working from home in my garden office. No direct sun, so it never gets roasting hot, although this week has been challenging at times. When things get too hot I can decant to one of the deckchairs outside and dunk my feet in a paddling pool, all in the shade of a large gazebo. We quite often sit there in the evenings having a PG/G&T/Beer.
1657895296864.png

Had one day in London this week - train in, then switched to bike to ride to East London in order to avoid the tube. Enjoyed a nice breeze during the ride, but did get a bit sticky underneath my rucksack.

Next week- worried because I have to go in on Tuesday in what might be 40 degree heat. Could be a case of spontaneous human combustion.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I work in a climate controlled building, where it's always either too hot or too cold - this week people have been bringing hoodies in to wear in the office.

However, Monday and Tuesday next week (the red warning days), I'll be WFH. That's largely due to not being prepared to leave the dog home alone in an unventilated house if it does hit 30+ degrees.
I've bought a portable AC unit ❄️

Top Bottom