The heat and work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've worked in some indoor and outdoor hot jobs in the past (glass blowing & working on a kibbutz, both regularly over 40c) and it's not so tough if you're used to it. More of an issue when it's only a couple of days here & there.
When I was young I worked at a plastic blow moulding factory. The hot weather was a nightmare with molten plastic running through forty machines.

Panama hat and off white linen and cotton suit?🤔 🧐

Merch.navy style shirt, cotton drill trousers, coal dust would kill linen. Failsworth Panama fedora hat.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What provisions have your work set in place for the forecast heat next week ?
Working in an industrial weld shop where the temp will build up even higher as there is no air con, windows, breeze etc wearing PPE you might get a fan an a bottle of water but people have been known to pass out so im dreading it .

Work are sending me to work at a fully-cooked coated chicken products factory in Italy on Mon, Tue Wed....I'll be roasting!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Wfh and will set-up the portable air con unit if its too hot…….or open up the picture window in front of my desk

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not looking forward to it as I work in chemical resistant overalls which are warm most of the year. This week I’ve just had underwear on underneath and still been running with sweat.

sounds similar we in cut/ heat resistant stuff , when you take your gloves off your hands are wet with sweat and were literally dripping

DRHysted

Guru
sounds similar we in cut/ heat resistant stuff , when you take your gloves off your hands are wet with sweat and were literally dripping

Some of the jobs require nitrile gloves, you can see the sweat forming!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Let's declare a national emergency because it's going to be a little bit warm for a day or two in London! :rolleyes:
Try working in the engine room of a ship, in the Persian Gulf, in summer....

Anyway, what has my work done in preparation? Absolutely nothing. It's Scotland. Might have to turn the heating down a notch.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The lab is air conditioned but the office isn't, and it's south facing so even on a normal summer day by mid afternoon it's ridiculous. I'll have to find some practical work to do. The concern is that the air con might not quite be up to the job, and if it fails we're going to have to start switching analysers off.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I work from home most of the time, as I have done since the first lockdown. But I've started going in to the office just to avail myself of the aircon.

Top Bottom