The heat and work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
No idea what they are doing where I work but Tues is my regular day to go in and I'm still finding my newly converted eBike such a novelty that I'm going in regardless.

One side if the floor plate faces NW so I'll sit on that side where I WILL open the window.

Landsurfer

Veteran
The same covid that put you in hospital for three weeks last year you mean ?

If your going to be a sarkie tuesday wednesday and thursday get it right ... 2 days in hospital , ill for 3 weeks .... and got better unlike the covid lifestyle brigade ...
Oh, try a humour vaccination ... yours seems to be compromised ...

Mike_P

Guru
WFH in a North facing room with fans on, window shut to keep the heat out and doors to south facing rooms shut with the blinds down in them. Cold drink and at least two spoonfuls of ice cream every hour once the outside temperature has gone crazy, Office has forced air ventilation which frankly does sod all so I pity anyone going in Monday or Tuesday.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Global warming, not long before the UK adopts the southern European work timetable. Siesta and evening meals from 9pm after 8pm finish, that's how they handle the heat.

ok if you dont work shifts , last year we came off days and nights to earlies and lates which meant we lost about 2.5% shift allowance

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The reason they tell you to keep the windows closed during the day is that the air outside is hotter. This is the inside & outside temp at my house:
View attachment 652934

But the outside will also have a 7mph breeze…..dont get that inside, therefore opening a window will allow that breeze to enter formentioned office and help cool it down

Mike_P

Guru
Opening windows just let's the heat in, just look at hotter countries where at midday / early afternoon all houses have shutters closed. Open windows when it's cooler outside.

Good evening,

Apologies if this goes too far off topic but I am not at all worried by the working day, but I am worried by the ride home.

The BBC/Meteo puts the ride home on Monday evening at 40 (degrees centigrade).

The Met Office puts the ride home on Monday evening at 36 (degrees centigrade).

I fully get that people in other parts of the world would regard this as cool, but I don't, I don't have the clothes or the practical experience to say wow I am hot and it is time to stop and cool down.

The ride home is around about 18 miles, (as is the ride in :-)) which is long enough to worry about.

About half way home there is a Robinson's cider pub in Himbleton, Galton Arms, but that seems to just add to the problem :-)

Generally public transport makes the journey of 18 miles about 2 1/2 hours each way!!!!!!

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru

Alex321

Veteran
I rest my case, re NATIONAL emergency. Would a weather warning for the affected area not have been enough?
Most of the country will be affected.

My post above may have been slightly tongue in cheek and I'm not making light of the dangers hot weather poses to some vulnerable people, but those same risks apply at 30 degrees.

It's just this constant dramatisation of everything by the media that becomes very wearing, especially when it doesn't apply to the vast majority of people.
This is the Met Office who have issued a Red warning, not "the media", unless you consider the met office to be media.

They have issued the Red warning for Monday and Tuesday, for an area running roughly from London to Maqnchester one the West, and London to Yoke on the East.

The rest of England and Wales is all covered by Amber warnings.

Use common sense (but there lies the problem with modern society, they need to be taken by the hand), stay out the sun where possible, wear appropriate clothing, slap on the sunscreen, and drink plenty fluids. No need for a national emergency, surely?
There is no national emergency.

Just warnings that we need to take those precautions - and that "Substantial changes in working practices and daily routines will be required"

Milzy

Guru
What provisions have your work set in place for the forecast heat next week ?
Working in an industrial weld shop where the temp will build up even higher as there is no air con, windows, breeze etc wearing PPE you might get a fan an a bottle of water but people have been known to pass out so im dreading it .

I’m in the same boat. I predict the lads will just really slow down & waste the clock down. Sure you’re allowed to go home but unpaid.

Alex321

Veteran
Opening windows just let's the heat in, just look at hotter countries where at midday / early afternoon all houses have shutters closed. Open windows when it's cooler outside.

Closing shutters is different to closing windows.

Yes, they will have the shutters closed - to provide shade. The windows will often be open inside those shutters (windows usually open inwards when houses have external shutters).

Mike_P

Guru
NHS' George’s, Epsom and St Helier Hospitals Group advised: “Keep windows closed when the room is cooler than outside, but open them at night when the temperatures have dropped.”

So, if the temperature is hotter outside, typically during the daytime, it’s much better to keep them closed to prevent the warm air from filtering in and exacerbating conditions indoors.

But make sure to open them again when temperatures drop to get the cooler breeze.

Top Bottom