The heat and work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They have issued the Red warning for Monday and Tuesday, for an area running roughly from London to Maqnchester one the West,
I'm a bit disappointed about that. I'm 25 miles north of Manchester where it ends. I'd like to experience some of that Red Warning heat.:unsure:

The rest of England and Wales is all covered by Amber warnings.
I suppose Amber's not bad though.🤔

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
@cyberknight, if you're welding do you have access to over the head air units?

Granted the air will be just as warm, but you will have air moving across the face, which can help.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I’m in the same boat. I predict the lads will just really slow down & waste the clock down. Sure you’re allowed to go home but unpaid.

on the clock one cycle per xxx seconds , we cant slow down
latest brief is extra water provided and maybe an extra break at the managers discretion but there bonus is linked to production

sleuthey

Legendary Member
WFH in a North facing room with fans on, window shut to keep the heat out and doors to south facing rooms shut with the blinds down in them. Cold drink and at least two spoonfuls of ice cream every hour once the outside temperature has gone crazy, Office has forced air ventilation which frankly does sod all so I pity anyone going in Monday or Tuesday.

Ditto. However as my dining room has a fire place I open the N facing windows and allow the pull on the chimney to draw through air from the shady side of the house. I know there's advice to keep them closed but it seems to work.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Push comes to shove we will be camping out in the air conditioned bedroom.

All ready told my elderly parents to get the air con unit cranked up and to keep cool .

Mike_P

Guru
From Reuters: From July 7 to July 13, Portugal registered 238 excess deaths due to the heatwave, the country's DGS health authority said. Spain registered 84 excess deaths attributable to extreme temperatures in the first three days of the heatwave.
No doubt minor figures compared to the UK with people sitting out in the sun, throwing all doors and windows open and not drinking that much water because I'll need the loo / drinking beer.

Brandane

Legendary Member
People need to move to Scotland if they can not handle heat, as this summer for me has been the coldest in living memory 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I did a lap of the Isle of Bute yesterday. Despite the promised temperatures of high teens, I was glad I took a fleece with me. Grey and overcast all day too. As I look out my window in Ayrshire's Costa Clyde right now, it's more of the same today, there's even occasional showers forecast. They're now down playing the previously forecast "heatwave" for tomorrow and Tuesday. It's to be overcast, again. Quelle surprise :rolleyes:.

ChangFai

I did a lap of the Isle of Bute yesterday. Despite the promised temperatures of high teens, I was glad I took a fleece with me. Grey and overcast all day too. As I look out my window in Ayrshire's Costa Clyde right now, it's more of the same today, there's even occasional showers forecast. They're now down playing the previously forecast "heatwave" for tomorrow and Tuesday. It's to be overcast, again. Quelle surprise :rolleyes:.
I can not turn on the TV, especially the BBC who are in full meltdown mode, as it does nothing for my blood pressure.
I am on the East Coast, where its about 12 degrees and raining ... Sigh!

Julia9054

Guru
I have bought these. Any of my class that work hard/behave well get a squirt in the face as a reward. (Also may be used on self)
Screenshot_20220717-092323_Amazon Shopping.jpg

a.twiddler

Veteran
I'm only surprised that the media aren't using Fahrenheit for dramatic effect as it sounds hotter. "100 degrees in the shade -but there was no shade" was something I used to hear as a schoolboy in the 60s while living in the Middle East but since it was like that all the time, people's lives and infrastructure were adapted to deal with it. It was only "mad dogs and Englishmen" that went out in the noonday sun. Short term mega heatwaves that don't affect the entire country don't allow the population to adapt from their normal cold and wet conditions. Hence the emergency warning.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Worst heat at work I ever knew was when I took a job as a labourer digging out the foundations of a furnace in a coal power station. Thing is, the other furnaces - each the size of a house - were still running either side. It was my first really physical job and the first (and only) time I'd used a jackhammer. My hands quickly blistered and opened up so the handles became slippery with blood and the sweat was pouring off me. We had to wear scarves over our mouths as the hot air could have scorched our lungs. Work was 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off as no-one could stand the heat longer than that. Even hotter than working at a forge.

All irrelevant really as I'm in Scotland and this heatwave will probably register as 16 degrees up here. Maybe 17.

Good afternoon

The BBC/Meteo forecast went as high as 39 for my area, it is now done to 38, the Met Office are predicting 35.

This could or course be 35.49 and 37.51 but plain old 35 wouldn't worry me too much as it is below body temp whereas 38 is a lot worse as it is above body temp.

Picking other areas in the hot zone at random, the BBC/Meteo seem to be about 3 (degrees centigrade) higher than the Met Office. This a difference of around 8% which is quite a large difference yet not once in the BBC's hysteria on this subject have they even mentioned this.

About a week ago the Daily Telegraph had a front page article which included a phrase to the effect that this weekend would be the hottest since..... guess when? It was either 2018 or 2019.

Bye

Ian

Milzy

Guru
on the clock one cycle per xxx seconds , we cant slow down
latest brief is extra water provided and maybe an extra break at the managers discretion but there bonus is linked to production

Ohhh I see it’s a sweat shop. Our lads have big balls & big mouths so the managers are scared of them. There’s no consequences.

Top Bottom