The heat and work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Look at that beach! I think it'll be either Bournemouth or Brighton, as the DM likes to use those as examples. If there, you'd be more or less hemmed in by folk you don't know and who could be acting oddly!šŸ§ Where is the pleasure in that?! šŸ¤”

1658061851404.png

presta

Guru
But the outside will also have a 7mph breezeā€¦..dont get that inside, therefore opening a window will allow that breeze to enter formentioned office and help cool it down
Windchill is forecast to make about a 1 degree difference to the temperature tomorrow, set against a 3 to 7 degree difference between in/out air temperature.
1658066350856.png

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Windchill is forecast to make about a 1 degree difference to the temperature tomorrow, set against a 3 to 7 degree difference between in/out air temperature.
View attachment 653187

It will still be a lot cooler in my office, as the sun doesnt come around there fully until around half 2ā€¦ā€¦and i finish at 3 lol

a.twiddler

Veteran
Look at that beach! I think it'll be either Bournemouth or Brighton, as the DM likes to use those as examples. If there, you'd be more or less hemmed in by folk you don't know and who could be acting oddly!šŸ§ Where is the pleasure in that?! šŸ¤”

View attachment 653169
Are those just stock photos from pre pandemic days just to get our self righteousness glands going? If not, then place your bets ladies and gentlemen! We should know better by now. Remember Covid? It hasn't gone away. How many weeks before even the zombie government we have now wakes up and starts imposing restrictions as the cases continue to go up and they think they ought to be seen to be doing something. So many things going on, but saving the government seems to take priority. Just saying, like, heatwave emergency notwithstanding.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My work has asked us, if itā€™s possible, to work from home, tomorrow and Tuesday. I am on a temp contract so I checked itā€™s ok for me too, and it is. Thatā€™s fine with me for a couple of days. Working in my PJs as they are the coolest things that I have :smile:

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
People need to move to Scotland if they can not handle heat, as this summer for me has been the coldest in living memory šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æ
I can't match your memories, as I'm an immigrant, but you could well be right: I hardly had any strawberries from my garden in June, when it's supposed to be the season for them.
But June was cold and very windy here :sad:
My thermostat says 20 C.
I'm about to close my windows and put a light fleece on.

Alex321

Veteran
I feel sure there will be many Brits "unable to work in this heat" who would still expect a Spanish / Portuguese / Greek chef to cook them a meal in even hotter temperatures when they go on holiday.

While there might be such people, it isn't often that you get temperatures quite this high even in Portugal/Spain/Greece. I've been on holiday to all three of those at various times in July/August, and only once experienced temperatures above 35C - that was in Crete a few years ago when it hit 41 and the locals were complaining about the heatwave.

stephec

Legendary Member
Predicted temperatures warmer than have ever been recorded in the UK isn't "a little bit warm".

When we were in Crete a few years ago and the temperature hit 41C, all the locals were complaining about the heatwave. And that is what is predicted for the South East on Monday - a temperature that would be considered a heatwave in the Med.

Sounds similar to when I was working in Haifa about ten years ago, it was getting up to 40Ā°C each day and the guy who I was working with said, 'yeah, it's getting a little bit hot for us now.' šŸ˜…

Chislenko

Veteran
While there might be such people, it isn't often that you get temperatures quite this high even in Portugal/Spain/Greece. I've been on holiday to all three of those at various times in July/August, and only once experienced temperatures above 35C - that was in Crete a few years ago when it hit 41 and the locals were complaining about the heatwave.

Having owned a holiday home in Portugal for 20 years and spent a lot of time there I think I may have more of an insight into the temperatures there. Just take a look at the wildfires again this year, an occurrence every year.

Plus here in the UK we are talking a couple or three days, not weeks / months on end.

But hey I feel sure your two weeks in Crete will trump my on average four months a year for the last twenty years!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Popped in to work this morning to pick up a laptop and, at about 11:30, the place was baking. There's no air conditioning so all the windows were open, but the sea breeze (the office is about 200m from the seafront) had no effect. Tuesday, when I'm next in, could be quite warm!
Non working day on Monday, so I'm planning to find somewhere with decent air conditioning and cold drinks to spend the afternoon.

Alex321

Veteran
Having owned a holiday home in Portugal for 20 years and spent a lot of time there I think I may have more of an insight into the temperatures there. Just take a look at the wildfires again this year, an occurrence every year.

Plus here in the UK we are talking a couple or three days, not weeks / months on end.

But hey I feel sure your two weeks in Crete will trump my on average four months a year for the last twenty years!

Any reason why you feel the need for rudeness about it?

Top Bottom