The high cost of a Garmin or a cheap phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contadino

Veteran
I have a Moto E 2nd gen dedicated to tracking and mapping (ie no SIM card) It's my old phone that started to sound a bit crackly when making calls. Runs for about 6 hours with the screen on but I carry a power bank anyway.

I've loaded lineage onto it so it doesn't have a load of Google software clogging it up.

I'm very dubious of claims that Garmins are more accurate. In fact I'd call pole-axe on that.

I like the idea of a little power bank under the stem...

D

Deleted member 26715

Considering the high cost of Garmin, you would expect them to have less bug's in there software.
I have never had an issue with my Garmin 810 in over 6 years, I know others have maybe I don't push mine as hard as others do. But if you do go down the mobile route just be aware that mobiles are not as accurate as Garmin/Wahoo or any of the other dedicated devices. I suspect it's down to the number of times it checks it's GPS position, I once did a comparison with a phone & Garmin on a route with lots of 90 degree corners, the Garmin plotted me around the corners the phone showed me going through the corner as a diagonal.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Do you actually even need a SIM?. You could probably pick up a dodgy (probably nicked) second hand android phone really cheap and run it on WiFi only. It may take a while to acquire a GPS fix or perhaps it may need WiFi to get an initial fix (you'd need to experiment) but it should work after that.

That said the cheapest answer would be a battery pack for the Garmin, and recharge when stopped.

Recharging on the go may be a problem for some older garmin units and even if the unit is happy to do so the connector won't be fully weatherproof. ( Mind you, a phone won't be weatherproof either). I also worry about subjecting a possibly fragile mini usb connection to on-road vibration/knocks. But maybe I'm a bit over cautious there.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Mobile phones have replaced so many everyday items nowadays that you once saw on display in the shops. Digital cameras, portable cd players, camcorders, sat navs have all but disappeared from shops because the mobile phone can be used instead.
Technology has really hit the highstreet. Video shops, music shops where once a common place but are now sadly few and far between because a smart phone can used instead to access any media we want.
Will the likes of a dedicated gps bike computer end up the same way. If a cheap phone can do the same thing as an expensive Garmin as well many other things.
It makes you wonder if garmin and the likes of others have a limited time before they get swallowed up into the expanding net of smart phones.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Do you actually even need a SIM?. You could probably pick up a dodgy (probably nicked) second hand android phone really cheap and run it on WiFi only. It may take a while to acquire a GPS fix or perhaps it may need WiFi to get an initial fix (you'd need to experiment) but it should work after that.

That said the cheapest answer would be a battery pack for the Garmin, and recharge when stopped.

Recharging on the go may be a problem for some older garmin units and even if the unit is happy to do so the connector won't be fully weatherproof. ( Mind you, a phone won't be weatherproof either). I also worry about subjecting a possibly fragile mini usb connection to on-road vibration/knocks. But maybe I'm a bit over cautious there.
Unfortunately the Garmin edge 25 that I've got cannot be used enroute with a battery pack. It can only be charged by removing it from its mount, A simple design flaw by garmin compared to there other models they provide.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mobile phones have replaced so many everyday items nowadays that you once saw on display in the shops. Digital cameras, portable cd players, camcorders, sat navs have all but disappeared from shops because the mobile phone can be used instead.
Technology has really hit the highstreet. Video shops, music shops where once a common place but are now sadly few and far between because a smart phone can used instead to access any media we want.
Will the likes of a dedicated gps bike computer end up the same way. If a cheap phone can do the same thing as an expensive Garmin as well many other things.
It makes you wonder if garmin and the likes of others have a limited time before they get swallowed up into the expanding net of smart phones.

Quite - my son's car uses Android Auto - so all the navigation is actually google maps - makes sense as it keeps costs down for the manufacturer, and phones are usually updated far quicker than a car's software.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
That's still a good idea though @Dogtrousers. I've just reread your post and understand it now (haven't fully woken up lol)
I've got a slim line 4000mah power bank and as you say i could also use this to recharge the garmin when i stop for a break. Just experimenting with it now actually, and it doesn't seem to get upset whilst in recording a ride mode.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just changed my phone so I've just factory reset the old one, installed Komoot with an offline map, first route planned on PC & sent to phone, just now looking at it, it's an impossible route, I know of one of the tracks it's sending me down doesn't exist, it's straight through a private wood with no way to get out at the other side, then further along it takes me through a farm yard of which there is public no access & a farmer who will challenge anybody who tries to go through the yard.

wonderloaf

Veteran
One thing to consider if you go down the mobile phone route .... if you use polarised sunglasses when cycling make sure they don't turn the screen black when viewing. Think it has something to do with polarisation angle of the mobile screen and sunglasses material.

Take it from one who knows :banghead:

contadino

Veteran
But if you do go down the mobile route just be aware that mobiles are not as accurate as Garmin/Wahoo or any of the other dedicated devices. I suspect it's down to the number of times it checks it's GPS position, I once did a comparison with a phone & Garmin on a route with lots of 90 degree corners, the Garmin plotted me around the corners the phone showed me going through the corner as a diagonal.

I don't believe that. If it's true you must have a poorly setup phone. I very much doubt that the circuitry or firmware is any different between a Garmin and a phone. Other than when underground I've never been plotted more than a meter from where I've been, which is great considering that domestic GPS is only meant to be accurate to something like 10m.

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't believe that.
That's up to you & I can no longer prove it as I've deleted the phone version, It was mid 2013 when I was in Florida & on their cycle paths around the houses there were a lot of 90 degree bends, I suspect on a normal straightish trail/road it may not show up the difference.

Edit:- @contadino Here are 2 examples the first is a phone I think it was a Samsung S3

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 13.55.28.png

Here is with a Garmin 810

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 13.53.27.png

So if you do straightish road rides I suspect it won't make any difference, but tight off road riding may.

Last edited by a moderator:

contadino

Veteran
That's up to you & I can no longer prove it as I've deleted the phone version, It was mid 2013 when I was in Florida & on their cycle paths around the houses there were a lot of 90 degree bends, I suspect on a normal straightish trail/road it may not show up the difference.

Edit:- @contadino Here are 2 examples the first is a phone I think it was a Samsung S3

View attachment 474174

Here is with a Garmin 810

View attachment 474175

So if you do straightish road rides I suspect it won't make any difference, but tight off road riding may.

So nothing to do with accuracy. What you're comparing is tracking interval. Whatever you're using on your phone you've set to record its location less frequently than your Garmin. Either can be adjusted I suspect - I use osmand and it's set via a slider.

Top Bottom