The high cost of a Garmin or a cheap phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mrs D has a Motorola G7 power, biggest battery capacity of any smartphone by a considerable margin. Even with her Twitbook habit it goes 3 or 4 days between charges, easy. Would make a great GPS.
i have the e 4 plus, same battery and like you say its a monster for battery although i take an old phone for riding as its a bit big for my back pocket

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've just saw a 2nd hand Garmin 200 (in the box) on faceboke for £36 a unit like that or Bryton or similar could be an option?
an issue with 2 nd hand garmins can be battery life as after a lot of use the battery life degrades, i replaced it on my 200 for about £15 , well a mate did as hes got the micro tools t 4-5 torx afaik , and didnt do the sound as the wires were so fiddly .

Not an issue on second hand garmins that run off AAs.
I have two such second hand units.
Good as new. May outlive me, however much used.
Of course many one owner units are second hand in the same way as soon as the box is opened if they have built in batteries. Still amazes me that folk buy such things.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Surprised at that my eTrex gets 30 hours of riding between recharging the AAs.
He didn't say that he needed to, just that he did it!

If you swap the batteries regularly you can recharge one set while using another and not have to worry about exactly how much charge is left in the original set.

I get well over 24 hours from mine and rarely cycle much over 12 hours. I still swap them after every use though, so there is never any confusion over whether they have enough charge left.

Top Bottom